So, Papa Cuc is going to upgrade the old rig.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright guys, here's what I'm going for.

New case, old one cramped and ratty:
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

New Mobo (A note here, I'm aware i7's are still better, but I'm going to continue to support AMD):
ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131655

Hexacore goodness:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

And new RAM:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP4GX3M2B1600C8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145303

What sayeth the tech bench?

I will transplanting my current 700Watt PSU and ATi 5870 HD.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's a great system, you'll be quite happy with it. I wouldn't change anything.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Instead of the mid, I'd go for the full HAF 932: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=haf_932-_-11-119-160-_-Product Your cooling situation is going to be a lot better for only marginally more expensive. I've got it and I love it.

Mobo: Generally can't do too much wrong with asus. I like mine (has some minor ram detection issues sometimes but it can work eventually)

CPU: Don't know much about AMD.

RAM: Corsair is a reliable brand. Decent user feedback with good timings.

Transplant: Just fine. But keep an eye on the PSU. They get worse with age and are more liable to failure (all things you already know). When it's time to replace it thtough, get a modular PSU. God I hate all my extra cables :p

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PSU is less than a year old, and was a quick and dirty change for an ailing PSU last year. Regarding the Full Tower, I have a height restriction of 19.5 inches max because of my desk, so short is needed.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering your wish to support AMD and thereby ruling out the i7 and triple-channel memory, what you picked is pretty good. I can't vouch for the case as I use the Antec 900 myself; bought the older generation model in 2007 and it's still performing well and keeps my system cool.

What's the range of your activities on the computer? Barring extreme-case scenarios, I doubt that normal gamer/developer level activities would take your PC to its limit.

You could also add $20 to the memory and go for the 2x4GB version (albeit at 9-9-9-24 timing). If you want to stick to 8-8-8-24, then that's $50 over your currently selected memory unit with this model. Having said that, 4GB is more than enough for most users.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel that should I need another 4GB at an unspecified time, I should be able to get a second set of Corsair Dominators and experience very few problems populating the other bank. For the moment I don't beleive I'll be pushing anything that requires more than 4GB.

Also XMS /= Dominators, not that XMS are bad.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel that should I need another 4GB at an unspecified time, I should be able to get a second set of Corsair Dominators and experience very few problems populating the other bank. For the moment I don't beleive I'll be pushing anything that requires more than 4GB.

Also XMS /= Dominators, not that XMS are bad.
Fair enough. And yeah, I noticed that they were different but I personally don't know what makes Dominator better over XMS or vice-versa. I was only considering the tech specs: CAS latency, speed, etc.

What is the real difference between the Dominator and XMS series?

I really dont have anything to add but i saw gr00vy post and got excited.

HI you!
Hai!

Best answers
Probably a good thing you're sticking with AMD for the time being as it is anyway seeing as intel's chipset issues aren't doing them any favors ;)

(Note: Usually I would say go intel, but the sandy bridge chipset flaw is too hard to ignore right now at this point in time)

I can't see much wrong at all with what you've planned spec wise. If you wanted to have 8GB of ram however, a few dollars more can get you this - kit running @ 1333mhz CL9 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=mushkin_4gb_ddr3-_-20-226-095-_-Product

Slower and higher timings yes, but for the sake of $3~ and fitting your future want for 8GB I don't see much wrong with the slower speed and timings being a drawback but not making a drastic difference to overall performance.

If you can live with 4GB, I'd go with something like this - CL6 1600mhz - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=mushkin_4gb_ddr3-_-20-226-180-_-Product - $2~ cheaper than the ram you speced before, but there is doubt whether or not you can maintain this latency if you were to populate all your DIMMs for 8GB.

If you decide however that you want decent timings and speed + 8GB, this is more suitable - CL8 1600mhz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0231445&cm_re=8GB_DDR3-_-20-231-445-_-Product - This costs a bit more but is around the same price as getting two sets of dominator kits or a tad cheaper.

Also with dominators what you want to keep in mind is that if you're using a tower heatsink then you're going to be limited to how tall your ram heat sinks can be. Big coolers like the TRUE120 and NH-D14 are going to take room over your ram slots, leaving only enough room for ram with/without normal heat spreaders, which makes a 8GB ram kit more practical in this regard.

Good luck with your build ;).

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's an update, because I shop slow and cautious for materials, I found extra money. You know what that means, extra machine!

Went with a 1100T instead if the 1090T
Instead of the 4GB Corsair, I went for 8GB of Kingston Hyper X, for a small price increase (and no tower heat sink, just incase I decide I do want to go with massive cooler for the CPU and the win).
Instead of the Asus M4A89TD, I decided to splurge and grab a Crosshair IV Formula, which is made of man beard and baby tears. It will be epic. Sadly this mobo is on backorder. So I shall have to be patient, but happy later.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like the case you chose CUC but i find this one would suit you much better http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-DF-85...17?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1300837054&sr=1-17
Not red. I went with a red theme this time around. Antec isn't a bad case though, I've had them before and find them to be well designed and sturdy. Either way the point is moot as the Cooler Master case is at my house waiting for me to open it. All I have to do is wait on the Crosshair IV mobo from California (long ass wait for that, probably the full 5 days) and I can start slapping it together.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats the only problem With Orders They take to fecking long lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Next time, I recommend you check out performance tests of the CPU. AMD is awful these days - less bang for your buck.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Next time, I recommend you check out performance tests of the CPU. AMD is awful these days - less bang for your buck.
That was awful informative. Thank you for ignoring my older posts to come to the conclusion that I'm ignorant. Feel free to go back to the top and see that I support #2 out of principal, because supporting Intel encourages their engineers to be lazy. Next time, I recommend you read the fine print in the thread before opining in the most condoscending way possible. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sorry, I'll become a psychic/stalker for the next time I post in one of your threads.

I ignore your old posts because a) They might not be relevant anymore, b) They might be silly (I recall one time you threatened to ban me because I said global warming wasn't bull****), and c) I don't have the time to read every single thread you've made. There's a lot of them.

I wasn't being condescending, I was offering you a piece of advice. Until recently, I would also have chosen an AMD as my processor. A friend of mine bought a new PC last week, and I talked to him about parts beforehand. I argued that he should go with AMD, to which he simply showed me that various tests indicate AMDs models to be less powerful and more expensive than the new Intel ones.

Personally I wouldn't have remembered that it was a good idea to check CPU ratings before buying one. I would have just bought the best AMD I could afford.

I don't really understand your Intel argument. Should people stop buying American cars because it makes their engineers lazy as well?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sorry, I'll become a psychic/stalker for the next time I post in one of your threads.

I ignore your old posts because a) They might not be relevant anymore, b) They might be silly (I recall one time you threatened to ban me because I said global warming wasn't bull****), and c) I don't have the time to read every single thread you've made. There's a lot of them.

I wasn't being condescending, I was offering you a piece of advice. Until recently, I would also have chosen an AMD as my processor. A friend of mine bought a new PC last week, and I talked to him about parts beforehand. I argued that he should go with AMD, to which he simply showed me that various tests indicate AMDs models to be less powerful and more expensive than the new Intel ones.

Personally I wouldn't have remembered that it was a good idea to check CPU ratings before buying one. I would have just bought the best AMD I could afford.

I don't really understand your Intel argument. Should people stop buying American cars because it makes their engineers lazy as well?
I wasn't reffering to an old thread, I was referring to the top of this one, making that post very relevant. And for ****s sake, I have NEVER banned anyone for disagreeing with me. Being a condoscending prick about it broke the respect rule, so I might have threatened you about that, further I'm pretty sure warning /= ban. Just to lay this to rest, I have no problems with you, in fact, I find you very funny at times, and particularly intelligent (or at least well educated). On the other hand, you can never seem to share your percieved superior position without being snarky right out of the gate. Perhaps you don't realize that saying "Next time" in front of a piece of advice indicates that you believe this time around is a failure; that's not advice, that's admonishment. Now that I see that you didn't intend to be snarky, I apologize for jumping on you. And perhaps I could do with my own advice and not instantly jump on people.

New Mobo (A note here, I'm aware i7's are still better, but I'm going to continue to support AMD):
ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131655
My Intel argument goes thusly. For many, many years, Intel has been the leader not in innovation, but manufacturing process. They have always led in fabrication ability, but they were never producing the best ideas. This came to a head many times. Against AMD in the early days, Motorola, MIPS, DEC, it was always the same story. If any of Intels competitors (if you could even call them that) ever matched Intel in the fabrication game, Intel would not be able to sit on their laurels. AMD had a much faster 486 and math coprocessor, Cyrix had floating point x486 chips that could run quake, Intel did not. MIPS and DEC didn't need to worry about CISC overhead. AMD again came from behind with superior design engineering during the Athlon 64 vs. Pentium 4. During these moments when Intel was actually losing because their design was inferior and only saved by their fab process, Intel would opt for strong arming competition out of business, which has caused them to be sued many times in many nations. Intel would then opt for copying the technology philosophy of the chips that beat them. This moment, where they reach out and do something different, drives the whole market to new things. They countered AMD and Cyrix by including a robust math co-processor on the Pentium 1, they countered MIPS, Motorola and DEC by shoehorning RISC philosophy into their increasingly CISC architecture. Against the Athlon 64, they chose to counter the then most powerful math coprocessor on the planet by adding four ****ty ones to the P4. When that didn't work they went to redisigning the P4, bringing us the wonderful Core chip, which had managed to rip off every AMD advancement to that point, understandably so. Again, with their fab process always being a step ahead of AMD, they were able to beat AMD with their process and AMD's design paradigm.

Moral of the story; keep buying Intel, and they think its okay to sell you lazy manufactured well.

Now I understand that I'm only one man, and that my individual purchase will not make much difference in the long haul, but I do not intend to allow, with my dollar, the injury of AMD (or ARM for that matter).

Intel had an empire to maintain, they never had reason to conquer. I intend to give them reason to reach for glory, no matter how slight that reason, it forces everyone else to up their game. If people buy Intel, and AMD dies, Intel will go back to being lazy 24/7. I had this argument with an intel engineer, he was annoyed, but got my point.

As a system builder, I always have to be on top of what's out at the moment and the general strengths of those products offered. That said, when a customer wants a firebreathing machine at this moment in time it gets built with an i7. I always research who has what before I build any machine, thank you for the pointer anyway.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom