Silent Hill 2: The Movie

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The best video-game movie ever gets a sequel. Thank god, i'd really been holding my breath for this one since Onimusha was confirmed.

Alright, since everyone seems to be missing deadeyes373's thread, in which he was the first to break the news about Director Christophe Gans' interview with dvdrama.com that confirmed both Silent Hill 2 and the upcoming Collector's Edition DVD, I'm putting all the news here in Big Capital Letters, so that no one else 'misses' it.

Thanks to deadeyes373 for this link: http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?18185&page=1

And to matthewvern-1 for this link: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18163

And to yoji_biomehanika for this link: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/7874

And to Platinum7 for this link: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=1896&count=0

And to me, SilentHylian for this translation:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: A lot of people didn't understand why the Region 2 DVD of Silent Hill didn't have enormously additional bonus material in comparison with the Region 1 DVD.

A: The explanation is rather simple. The film was finished ten days exactly before the gone out in the American Theaters, which itself took place ten days before the French distribution. The film contains very exactly 756 instances of special effects, and as with most films rich in SFX, it was finished at the last moment. I am anxious to say that this was nothing exceptional. But it was necessary that the effects were satifactory to me, my editor S?bastien Prang?re and my producer Andrew Mason. Mason especially being that he was not only the producer of the Matrix, but because he had also been so involved with the special effects on The Crow and Dark City, he therefore has a good understanding of the subject matter (SFX). The three of us had a very specific idea, a standard of quality that we wanted to attain, in relation to, of course, the $4 Million Dollars allocated in the budget to the SFX.

Q: $4 Million Dollars for the Special Effects?? That's all?

That's a lot better than the 300.000 Euros we got for the FX of The Brotherhood of the Wolves! (Laugh) It's always the case that we worked until the last moment, and that it we was impossible for us to concentrate on the creation of bonus materials. Anyone who knows S?bastien Prang?re - who supervises the supplements of all my DVD - and myself, knows that we know to do Collector's Editions worthy of this name. For everyone: those who like the movie, those who are just a fan of DVDs, those who are supportive fans. But we did not have the time... For once the film went out, our work was not finished: by contract, we had to deliver the video elements such as copies, transfers it scenes and sections for the commercial chains, another to the format 1: 77 for future broadcastings in HD, a censored version (that will no doubt not pass the standards ? it lasts less than 80 minutes!).. On a more positive note, we were able to perfect some of the special effects and to introduce them in the video master! To the final edit, this is not the version we put out after four months of work before the American DVD went out, but two more months enitrely. And for a film like Silent Hill, it is necessary time: one talks about a film with a mythological background, that is the adaptation of another medium... There is therefore a colossal editorial work to furnish for an Collector's Edition worthy of this name. This was materially impossible during that time to deliver...Besides the time factor, my other problem was remembering the bad experience that I had with Collector's Edition DVD of The Brotherhood of the Wolves. StudioCanal had wanted go out very quickly with a Collector's Edition that I was not completely satisfied with. This was the 3 discs edition with this pseudo-leather cover that I had found pathetic. For me, the true collector of The Brotherhood has 4 Discs Edition that came out a year later, after the preceding one was exhausted. They presented a very pretty kind of packaging - a lenticulaire cover and solid binding ? that had been realized to the very interior of the structure, described in HK Magazine by my collaborator Paola Boileau. But the people took this new edition as a manner scarcely concealed to peel them the wool on the back (?). I understand them: they had bought a 3-Disc Edition DVD, and all of a sudden it was said to them that the true Collector's Edition contained 4!! To avoid reproducing that, experience I decided that the Region 2 DVD should contain only the film and the bonus already existing in the Region 1. All that I allowed myself, was to optimize the transfer with a new calibration, and to dividing up the container on two discs. A point this is all. The Collector's Edition DVD of Silent Hill will exist one day, but not for a long time. I left the project to prepare for my next film, Onimusha, and I won't be able to return to the Silent Hill Collector's Edition until my return. That is to say, not before two and half to three years.

Okay, now I'm skipping ahead to the important stuff, because he's mostly talking about DVD vs HD vs Blu-Ray Stuff for the next few paragraphs, but then officially says that Sony has ordered a sequel to Silent Hill because of its financial success! Before talking more about it, he returns to the subject of the upcoming Collector's Edition DVD Release.

Q: What could on expect to find on the Collector's Edition DVD of Silent Hill?

What I would like to explore, is of course, the relationship between the universe of the game and the one of the film, as this that drove us, Akira Yamaoka and me, to our choices for this adaptation. I worked hand in the hand with him. It was all verified, as early as the writing of the script. I would like really to talk about that, because it is important to "Return to Caesar that which belongs to Caesar." What fascinated me personally is that we transposed not only this universe, but especially his video-game type structure. A long time ago I had this thought, and it was fascinating to do it with the support from game so "noble" and innovative. But on the strict artistic plan, I was anxious to put myself in the role of illustrator. I applied to this that one rediscovers on the screen the textures, the complexions, the visual aspect of the game. When I speak in my contemporary art interviews about Silent Hill, this is never without omitting that this structure was already present in the game! This is not "a find" on my part, it was the intention of Akira Yamaoka and Silent Team. In fact, I would like to talk about the motives that we had jointly to construct this film. A lot of our agendas were related. For example it was vital for Yamaoka that the film didn't undermine Silent Hill 5, which had just received green light. As we know, the budgets of video games don't stop increasing, and the success of the film could convince Konami to validate financing a fifth Silent Hill. There are therefore a lot of things to think about that elevate both the mythology of Silent Hill, and also its commercial viability. The game is very successful in Anglo-Saxon Countries, such as the United States and the England, or also in Germany. But it is necessary to know that has only scarcely sold some thousands of copies in France... just as in Japan where Silent Hill has no commercial viability! This is a game that's very esoteric for a lot of people...

Alright, then he talks about violence in movies and how his didn't compare to Saw 3 in terms of gore, etc, some of the challenges of the Sean Bean plot line, and then this nugget:

Q: Had other kinds of problems of the same kind come up during shooting?

There was only that. But nothing abnormal, this is the batch of all shooting where the special effects are permanent. A lot of elements of the concepts were abandoned or modified along the way. Maybe one day you'll see the original story-boards of the film and you will note that the end also totally was modified. In the original version, Alessa's Revenge took a very different turn. When Christabella stabbed Rose, the Darkness came out of her wound and created a big black pond, almost like a swimming pool, out of which arose six Pyramid Heads, each with a different weapon. But it resembled a cartoon of Yoshiaki Kawajiri's a little too closely (editor's note: the director of Ninja Scroll). The Six Pyramids slaughtered the people in the church, in a homage of sorts to the Hell of Dante. They skewered them by three, cut them in half lengthwise... It was very gross!

My story-boarder, Thierry S?gur, was off again in France and we communicated by webcam. This is while discussing with him that I had an idea: "We will go to the simplest one. We will remake Legend Of The Overfiend! "! I remember his big, bright laugh... Urotsukidoji (its title in Japanese) is an ultraviolent Japanese Cartoon that we are both very big fans of. In any case, this was a good idea: in a day and half I was contentedly filming this in a very wide shot where the fanatics attacked by Alessa moved themselves in a very simple manner. I knew that the tentacles would assure the continuity of one shot to the other. A problem of the present was, in a way, pushed back to the post-production. With my editor, S?bastien Prang?re, we have even used plans of Legend Of The Overfiend, to complete the mounting. There are two inserts of the tentacles that are, besides the copy, exact scenes from the cartoon! Take the first OAV of Legend Of The Overfiend, the scene where a demonic teacher violates one of its students with its tentacles, and compare. You will see! (Laughs)

Gans acknowledges some of the "challenges" of the first film, then he talks about the critics response and how he doesn't care about it (saying, and pardoning his vulgarity first, they can "lick his a$$crack" ) and then...the moment we've all been waiting for...TALKS ABOUT THE SEQUEL!!

Q: Is facing some of the challenges you had witht he first movie something you want to in Silent Hill 2?

Yes. Silent Hill 1 was a difficult film to do, since it was necessary for me to organize a complex mythology that is not known general public: the passage of one dimension to the other, the Alessa History, the theme of the doubles... I spent a lot of energy working on these concepts. On the other hand, I might not be able to do Silent Hill 2 because of my involvement on Onimusha...

Q: Will the Japanese (Producers - Konami & Sony) be able to grant the same confidence to another director for Silent Hill that they gave you for the first one?

The people of Sony already did tell Samuel Hadida that they were anxious that this continuation have at least the same visual feel of the original one. For them, it is important that the audience for the sequel doesn't feel cheated. In the case where I could not direct Silent Hill 2, it will be necessary that the feel of the film continue in the style of the first film.

Q: Which type of director could do Silent Hill 2?

The Japanese are really listening to us. They did not want to do a Hollywood film, and I think that the best way to acheive this would be for the director of the next Silent Hill to remain European. And in a best case scenario, French.

Q: You have a specific director in mind?

I have ideas. But if this does come to pass (a new director takes over), I would not be very far. With Samuel Hadida, everyone is "family"...

To Be Continued...
Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/board/thread/62096250
(IMDB forum threads are subject to vanishing due to inactivity o_o)

It's a shame Christopher Gans might not be directing after the good job he did on the first film, capturing the feeling of the games etc. Still, good to know it's out there, hopefully some details regarding plot/characters will emerge soon.

Best answers
Silent Hill 1 would've been a lot better without the music video death scene at the end. I hope Silent Hill 2 does a little more justice to the game (i.e. correct sex main character).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i personally (and everyone else i've met) thought silent hill was the stupidest movie i've ever seen

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only part worth watching was the part where the pyramid head guy grabbed that girl by the head and ripped that **** off!!! Man that was awesome, fake as hell, but awesome. Then he threw it at them. Man they need more stuff like that in movies =/

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Silent Hill wasn't the best adaptation of the game, but sadly was the best game movie yet, heh.

Silent Hill 2's story was awesome, hopefully there will be more pyramid-head.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
we were actually so stupified i started making fun of it and comparing it to old school zelda (wasnt bashing zelda)... and making stupid sounds to entertain my friends

but it was cool when that thing like ripped that chicks skin off by her boob and like threw it at those people

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hope SilantHill 2 that will be superb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom