Should Religion...

Force Pit Member
Best answers
How do you not get that the bible is basically a documentary of what humanity means?

We go through life seeking truth, when those who seek truth are truth.

Bible 2, coming soon!
None of your posts make any sense, and I have firm belief's that you're trolling. Way to be a mod.

Even if your statements made sense, just because someone seeks the truth, doesn't mean they are the truth. And people who believe in religion don't have to seek truth, they have faith on their side. They don't need to think, or seek for anything in the first place.

And how does the bible document what humanity means. Humanity is the human race as a whole. I can tell you what humanity means it 3 words, ready?

The human race.

That's what Humanity means.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The bible is not a documentary on what humanity means. It may contain themes from things that were going on within humanity at the time (ie: slavery), but that can be said about almost any major piece of literature.

Those who go through life seeking truth are truth? I'm not truth, I'm a person. Stop trying to be deep.

brainfeeder
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I wish you would stop trolling me.
-

Humanity also means the human condition.

With which the bible aims to cultivate towards being irreversibly humane.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The Bible is the word of god, written by man, this should always be taken into consideration, regardless of your beliefs. This knowledge is essential when reading the text, and should lead you to the path that it is to your own discretion where you believe that the bible is word for word accurate in advocating Gods beliefs or values.

Religion itself is a personal matter, therefore the way you interpret the book should be a personal matter, as with many things, discussing with others and review of your own ideas will lead you to greater understanding on the subject. It should be for no one else but your own judgment to decide what you should take literally and what should be seen as a metaphorical analogy. Beliefs are the only thing that is truly your own. To jump in and say to somebody "you shouldn't have taken that part so literally" might seem like madness when it questions something you yourself have taken into deep consideration already and achieved a certain understanding on the matter, whether it may be favouring certain parts of a religious text or merely learning values from a common story.

Of course, certain people favour certain parts of religious texts to have a clear and concise meaning, where as other people will look over it to be seen as a descriptive example, this is the problem that exists from interpreting text that has been written by man, there are many contradictions within the bible, and there have been many revisions that have taken place over the long course of time, usually based on rulers and leaders in power. This doesn't mean the person who takes it literally is wrong, It just means that they feel much more comforted by the fact that they themselves do not have to question what is and what is not true, this requires an enormous amount of faith and in a way, they should be commended and respected for it. However this can in some cases fuel fundamentalism, and fanaticism. With such a rich and diverse text it is extremely easy to take one part of it and focus on it too much.

If you take a belief method of your own and apply it to such a question, you're undoubtedly going to be bias in your reason. I myself am agnostic, and therefore the fact that I do not believe there is enough evidence in the bible to convince me that a god is real, I do not believe any of it should be taken literally, since I find the foundation of the belief itself pointless, and to some extent I think that it should be dealt with using a degree of common sense. Common sense cannot be applied to faith.

BTW, metaphors are descriptive imagery in which you apply the description to an object/whatever as it is itself that object, similes are the other method of description where you liken an object to something.

ps. Sorry for the bad grammar :p

Last edited:
Reactions: sub
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Because it coincides with your beliefs, values and understanding. Or for the lack of a better word, faith.

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
However, the Bible is a work of Christian Mythology, is it not? How many people do you know that take Greek Mythology literally?

brainfeeder
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The Bible isn't a work of Christian Mythology... it's not about the life of some guy named Jesus Christ.

IT'S THE GUIDE TO HUMANITY!

I want to know why people try to twist different versions of the Bible against each other, in some stylish hope of raging people.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not saying it is right to do so at all, but you're asking how it should be taken, if you're taking the bible seriously at all, it is not through reason and logic, but the compelling nature of the unexplainable.

If you want to attack the bible for its credibility, that's something completely different all together. You might as well have asked, "does god exist?".

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not saying it is right to do so at all, but you're asking how it should be taken, if you're taking the bible seriously at all, it is not through reason and logic, but the compelling nature of the unexplainable.

If you want to attack the bible for its credibility, that's something completely different all together. You might as well have asked, "does god exist".
Where did I attack the Bible's credibility?

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
However, the Bible is a work of Christian Mythology, is it not? How many people do you know that take Greek Mythology literally?
I didn't say you were attacking it, but you're agenda isn't anything to do with the question at the start of this thread when you ask questions like this. Comparing an ancient mythology to an actual religion and trying to draw parallels between the two is questioning the entire belief itself rather than questioning how the different people follow these beliefs. Mythologies aren't meant to be taken as beliefs, mythology and theology are very different.

Last edited:

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Greek mythology is the body of stories belonging to the ancient Greeks concerning their gods and heroes, the nature of the world and the origins and significance of their own cult and ritual practices. Modern scholars refer to the myths and study them in an attempt to throw light on the religious and political institutions of Ancient Greece and on the Ancient Greek civilization, and to gain understanding of the nature of myth-making itself.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_mythology

Sounds like religion to me, though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty new at this kind of discussion.

But, seeing as how I'm asking the wrong questions, I'll go back to lurking.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Religion becomes mythology when the belief dies out.

brainfeeder
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if you're intentions were to satire Christianity towards ancient-Paganism.

There shouldn't have been any questions at all, just you stating your opinion.

The gigs up, Dorothy.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
He didn't satire anything. He asked us a question.

The only difference between christianity and ancient-paganism is one set of beliefs has died out.

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Religion becomes mythology when the belief dies out.
And that's my understanding of the relationship between mythology and religion. At one point in time, Greeks actually believed what was found in what is now called, "Greek Mythology". The same can be said about Norse Mythology or even Egyptian Mythology.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
And if christianity ever dies out, you can bet that it'll be labeled as mythology. There's sort of a precedent for these sort of things.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
ya. I failed :( I didnt think i needed to wiki it, I just tried to remember my history lessons on myths and legends of the ancient greeks

But in any case, I think the bible is nothing more than some interesting stories myself, I don't think anyone should take it as an instructional manual for living, just some education on morals and life in general. I'm not going to try and prove that anyone is right or wrong for believing what they believe though. It makes you as bad as those people picketing peoples funerals.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If I see someone that believes something that I perceive is silly or wrong, why is it wrong for me to try to point out why I think this is so? Talking about ones beliefs is seen as taboo because it usually ends up with someone getting mad, but so far we're doing alright in this thread. I personally am not out to anger people, only to make people question and think about why they believe in what they believe.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll be quite honest with you, it's not that I think its wrong to do so, but I think its immensely arrogant to think you're right in the first place, it makes you no different from them. They believe what they believe, and you believe what you believe. It's no different, if you go on the attack no matter how much you justify it with reason or evidence, they'll justify it with their own reasoning and evidence. It's the age old stalemate that's caused conflict for thousands of years.

Religious people aren't usually the most wavering in terms of opinions or beliefs unless they're at the point of questioning things themselves. If you want them to take you seriously you have to level the ground between the two of you and see eye to eye. Relate to each other and discuss the issues themselves rather than discredit their idea's and beliefs. It's preachy and patronising to try to sway opinion by making examples of what they believe in. I find the lines atheists use tend to be no different to the ones you get from jehova's witness's at your doorstep. Most people are happy with what they believe in unless life isn't going to well, and you'll usually find they'll find what suits them rather than conform to what suits you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom