Severe Lag

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well my friend can join and play with me ingame now BUT it's VERY laggy for him, he doesn't live very far at all and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make him stop lagging, me and him are using Hamachi and I tried check marking LAN and him joining but it says "LAN servers are ment for local hosts only".

Data Technician
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Hamachi can cause a lot of delay when using it to play online.. try using something else :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If he's using hamachi then odds are pretty great that your friend doesn't have Steam or a legal copy of Half-Life...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
No we both have Legal Copies of Half Life and we both have steam, I just don't know how to create a server, I just heard "Port Forwarding" but I don't know if we BOTH have to Port Forward, nor do I know the Ports to Forward, so I just used Hamachi. Can someone tell me how?

Badassologist Ph/D
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
you need to open the ports for steam multiplayer and only for the one hosting the server. This is directly from steampowered.com

Required Ports for Steam
Question

Which ports do I need to open on my router or firewall for Steam?
Answer

Your network must be configured to allow Steam access to the following ports (in order from highest to lowest priority for QoS users):
Steam Client

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers

TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat

UDP 3478 (Outbound)
UDP 4379 (Outbound)
UDP 4380 (Outbound)

Additional Ports for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer

UDP 1500 (outbound)
UDP 3005 (outbound)
UDP 3101 (outbound)
UDP 28960

UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
those are the ones i think you have to open. My router doesn't open ports correctly so I end up disconnecting my router and connecting only with my modem if i want to host a server. because theres no ports to worry about on the modem it works fine.

GL!:yes:

Edit: BTW! Kick ass Ed GIF Lol!

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Just gonna toss this in there, LAN stands for Local Area Network :p Means you're on the same network, more or less the same router majority of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom