Server Port Forwarding

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I recently upgraded my internet from 10.0 to 20.0, before the modem switch my ports had no troubles being forwarded, but when I try now, I go to my router page fill in all the correct information, and forward port 27015. I go online and use a port checker tool and it always says that the attempt timed out (meaning it was forwarded correctly). My router is a WNDR3400v2 I have read the manual and contacted the company, they said to do basically what I was doing. I have power cycled it a few times but nothing.

My problem is that my server isn't showing up on the server list. People who are on my network are able to play with me.

Any ideas on what might be not letting my ports forward? My firewall is disabled.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You do realize that online gaming uses UDP, right? You'd have to use a special port checker (for Half-Life) while a game server is actually running. Also, the server list is irrelevant - are direct connections (with your IP) possible?

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
When I port forwarded I forwarded both TCP and UDP, because there's an option of both. Also I do check the port when the server is running. I found that half life port checker, and it said the port was closed. I have tried direct IP connections to my server, and it did not work.

Last edited:
The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Okay. So far, so bad. :D
You could install, for instance, a web server on your computer and try getting the port forward for that to work. With HTTP using TCP, it's a lot easier and reliable to check.
Also, could you please post the output of "tracert esforces.com"? Selection and copying in the Windows command line is available in the context menu. Use
Code:
-Tags for posting the results, like this:
[code]C:\Users\fuzzy>tracert esforces.com

Tracing route to esforces.com [188.40.15.251]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.2.1]
  2    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
  3    18 ms    17 ms    17 ms  217.0.119.22
  4    20 ms    21 ms    18 ms  87.190.163.46
  5    22 ms    21 ms    81 ms  f-ed4-i.F.DE.NET.DTAG.DE [62.154.14.226]
  6    22 ms    22 ms    21 ms  62.157.251.34
  7    28 ms    27 ms    27 ms  hos-bb2.juniper1.rz10.hetzner.de [213.239.240.140]
  8    28 ms    28 ms    28 ms  hos-tr2.ex3k14.rz10.hetzner.de [213.239.227.175]

9    28 ms    27 ms    28 ms  venus.suddendev.net [78.46.16.175]
 10    27 ms    27 ms    28 ms  jupiter.suddendev.net [188.40.15.251]

Trace complete.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I'm going to ask you the same questions I did with the other guy;

What kind of OS do you have ?
What kind of (security/) software do you have installed ?
What kind of router do you have ?
Did you try to host your server to a port other than the default one ?
Did you try to host your server with settting the external ip (net_ip), if so, did you try hosting it without setting it?

No proper response means no help.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I'm going to ask you the same questions I did with the other guy;

What kind of OS do you have ?
What kind of (security/) software do you have installed ?
What kind of router do you have ?
Did you try to host your server to a port other than the default one ?
Did you try to host your server with settting the external ip (net_ip), if so, did you try hosting it without setting it?

No proper response means no help.
Windows 7
Windows firewall, uninstalled norton. (Firewall is disabled for the port)
Netgear WNDR3400v2
Yes, didn't work.
Not sure what you mean.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Windows 7
Windows firewall, uninstalled norton. (Firewall is disabled for the port)
Netgear WNDR3400v2
Yes, didn't work.

Not sure what you mean.
In some cases it's important to bind the connection to your external ip, you can do this by adding this argument to your hlds(for example) startup line;
+ip "123.456.789.10" +port 27015
where 123.456.789.10 is your external IP address. To get your external IP address go to http://www.whatismyip.com/.

You said you uninstalled Norton, are you sure that everything is removed ? I have experienced an uninstall with Norton which did not remove all packages.
Also after this is done, I suggest you install a new virus scanner, you can get Avast(http://www.avast.com) for free. It's a very good virus scanner and not that heavy.

How are you currently starting your server ?
Have you checked this website ? http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WNDR3400/Half_Life.htm

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You can't bind to the external IP on the internal network, it's simply impossible. The "-ip" parameter's one and only use are multiple active networks connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom