School

Best answers
Hello

Im at my final year of high school, which means alot to me.
I am very competitive for some reason, especially for school, always attempting to be #1 in my entire school.

Like I said this year means alot to me. Before I continue, I would like to say that I would like to become a doctor.

I really don't know what is wrong with me. If I got 99% on a test, and found out someone in my class beat me(ie. scored perfect), I would see this test as a fail. Believe me, I am not exaggerating.

I really don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

Alot of people say I try too hard in school, or whatever...

My average at the moment is 92... pretty good rite?
I checked the honor roll list and there are like 5 people infront of me, with 1st place sitting at 96. That ruined my entire day... and im not joking... I just don't understand ... anyway >_<..

I want attention I guess. I want to be that #1 student who everyone talks about in school. I am also attempting to be a wel rounded individual, joining the swim team & Social Justice commitee and stuff like that...

As we speak, I am applying for another scholarship.... but here's the catch...
if I do win these scholarships, they will go to the universities I am applying for.. but there is only a 20-30% chance of me going in these univeristies, because I am thinking of going overseas to places like England, where people get into medical school right after high school..... Am I waisting my time for these scholarships? whatever...

I also find myself waistin too much time finding out what other people are getting in courses, rather than focusing on my crap... w/e..

I just love being called smart, it is the fuel that makes me happy for some reason..

Anyway, do you guys think Im heading in a good/bad direction?
Any advice?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is always someone better, and learn humility.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Future_SSJGohan said:
Hello

Im at my final year of high school, which means alot to me.
I am very competitive for some reason, especially for school, always attempting to be #1 in my entire school.

Like I said this year means alot to me. Before I continue, I would like to say that I would like to become a doctor.

I really don't know what is wrong with me. If I got 99% on a test, and found out someone in my class beat me(ie. scored perfect), I would see this test as a fail. Believe me, I am not exaggerating.

I really don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

Alot of people say I try too hard in school, or whatever...

My average at the moment is 92... pretty good rite?
I checked the honor roll list and there are like 5 people infront of me, with 1st place sitting at 96. That ruined my entire day... and im not joking... I just don't understand ... anyway >_<..

I want attention I guess. I want to be that #1 student who everyone talks about in school. I am also attempting to be a wel rounded individual, joining the swim team & Social Justice commitee and stuff like that...

As we speak, I am applying for another scholarship.... but here's the catch...
if I do win these scholarships, they will go to the universities I am applying for.. but there is only a 20-30% chance of me going in these univeristies, because I am thinking of going overseas to places like England, where people get into medical school right after high school..... Am I waisting my time for these scholarships? whatever...

I also find myself waistin too much time finding out what other people are getting in courses, rather than focusing on my crap... w/e..

I just love being called smart, it is the fuel that makes me happy for some reason..

Anyway, do you guys think Im heading in a good/bad direction?
Any advice?
It's understandable that you wish to get really good grades; everyone does. You should definately focus on yourself and focus on learning rather than what the other person is doing. You'll just end up limiting yourself to simply trying to be better than the other person than exploiting the real reason for learning.

You should forget about popularity, it's overrated and whatever career you choose could care less about how popular you were in High School.

It's good that you strive to be smart; I don't know too many people like that where I live, other than myself.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
If you want to be called smart all the time, don't go to university at all. If there are a couple people smarter than you at your high school, there will be hundred that are way smarter than you could ever hope to be at university. You will be merely average there. Really, tell people how hard you're studying, and how much effort goes into your education and you will be told "ya, you and everyone else".

My advice would be to learn to coast. If I can manage to get decent marks in engineering and still have tons of free time, you can manage the same in high school. And get a hobby; I recommend drinking.

Best answers
At the school i'm going to pretty much the first thing they told us was 'leave your ego at the door, you may have been smart at your higschool, but here, everyone was smart at their highschool, that means you're all average now'.

Also don't ask questions where you obviously know the answer and are just trying to look smart. I go to a school for video games and everyone makes fun of the kid who does that(if you're being made fun of in a school for video games you've done something wrong).

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Keep as much of your competitiveness as you can, but when somebody else is better than you don't see it as complete and utter failure. See it as another driving force for your goals. Just so long as you don't let it get you down when you do see somebody better than you, competitiveness isn't harmful.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's nothing wrong with being beaten. At the end of the day, an A/99% or whatever is an A/99%. Especially in eduction, where the only competition comes from grades to get into Uni, and interviews. Dunno how it is over in the west, but here, we have to hand in "Personal Statements" to our Universities we have chosen. This and the Interview are the next major thing in what gets us accepted into our University. The only thing that shows what could be our future lecturers what our personalities are like. Grades are only half of it. Don't dwell on something as stupid as "omg that bastard got 1% higher than me" just do as well as YOU are capable of. School is not a race, it's something you carry out on your own, and something which depends on how well you do, not how well the people around you perform.
Oh, and to answer your question, you're headed in the wrong direction. There was someone like that who i grew up with, who had the same attitude you do right now, the "wtf you don't deserve that because i'm better than you" attitude; he now doesn't have many friends. You just end up making a fool out of yourself, and embarrassing yourself out of envy.

*edit* just saw the medical part in england you mentioned; that's a few uni's/colleges. But to get in to these Medicine courses etc, you need to have done some kind of long internship involving medicine, have taken the UKCAT test or something, and have already handed in your UCAS application before 15th October. It's also 7 long years of study.

Best answers
Your ambition will serve you well, I think. Very few are so driven as you. Whilst I consider your attitude towards your education to be slightly abnormal, I don't think it's a bad thing; quite the contrary, it will probably lead you to prosperity.

Best answers
Heh i read all this and go...

Damn i really wish i wasn't a princeton drop out :-\ lol

stupid wrestling scholarships not giving me any money

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeratul said:
Your ambition will serve you well, I think. Very few are so driven as you. Whilst I consider your attitude towards your education to be slightly abnormal, I don't think it's a bad thing; quite the contrary, it will probably lead you to prosperity.
Write fortune cookies much? lol

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
Write fortune cookies much? lol

Hahaha

Payne said:
What if you Sarutobi in ESF? What about that person who is the best?

Dude, you're not doing well enough, get off the forums, if you have time to be on a video game forum you have time to shove your face in a book. GET TO WORK AND STUDY!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As long as your competitive spirit doesn't lead to destructive behavior (towards yourself or others)

then it's just gonna get you places.

Best answers
Competitive spirit...what is this rurouni kenshin.

He may be better but your fighting spirit is what drives you

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

::4 days and a dbz series later::

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I PASSED THE TEST...hahahha

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Me and Optimus Prime went to high school in Ontario and graduated with 98% averages so i would say unless you don't get perfect in everything and graduate with a 100% there will be someone who gets better then you and if you do get 100% there are people who get higher in other countries so stop being obssessive i hate those kids who go around asking everyone their marks. So i'll give you some advice let it go do your best don't worry about anything else people will talk about how smart you are if you work as hard as you can. If you keep this up people will talk about how much of an ass you are trust me on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom