Respect for id running low

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3-resurrection-of-evil/577592p1.html

The expansion to doom 3. I'll break down the key features of the upcomming expansion:

*New levels in the same settings.
*New enemy types similar to pre-existing ones.
*Bullet-Time where the player moves normal speed. They call it "Hell-Time."
*A grav-- levitational gun that allows you to pick up and shoot objects and creatures.

Alright let's break it down. It'll be virtually the same as doom 3 but with new levels, a couple of new enemies, and features stolen from max payne and half life 2. Does this piss anyone else off? I know id is running out of ideas, and it was obvious to me in doom 3, but do they really have to take ideas from other games to make people play their own? They say in the interview with gamespy that they had the idea for the gravity gun back during development and wanted to put it in but didn't. Either this is total BS, or it was yet another one of those features that is too little too late and should have been in the original game. As for hell-time, they don't really have anything to say about that. They argue it's "different" because you move faster, which is little difference at all considering it could be tweaked that way as far back as the original max payne.

The justification behind doom 3 was to bring the original story to life with new engine technologies and keep the old gameplay feel as best they could. They weren't actually trying to do anything very original, and that was acceptable. Now they have taken it too far, and started taking from other game titles. To copy yourself is one thing, to copy someone else in order to make people buy your game is another entirely. I think it's dirty pool that they moved in and borrowed the gravity gun, whether or not they used something like it during Doom 3's creation, (or as they call it the grabber) and "hell-time?" How about "what-the-hell-time?" Corny, overused, and unoriginal!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a marketing/forumites wet-dream, and i'm fairly sure the meeting went something like this:

"OK, Doom3 was a flop, but I know how we can make it HUGE! We'll rip off ideas from successful movies and games, throw in some new (uninspired) content so it doesn't appear to be JUST a blatant rip, and then sit back and let all the curious Half-Life fans/Matrix fanboys give us their money."

What the hell happened to Quake? They should cut their losses and abandon the Doom(ed) franchise. Or at least take it in an original direction, stop opening Hell on mars and fighting demons in the dark, just something original, vehicles would have done, oh wait, it was, by Half-Life 2.

Best answers
Thank god for F.E.A.R.

The original Doom 3 was a dissappointment. And with these "new" features, wont make up for the lose of that piece of **** that was the first game. Doom 3 fans and ID, i taunt in your general direction :D

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Alright..I can already see where this thread is headed, feel free to flame games, but if there is one post of people flaming each other, they will suffer the consequences. Mild flaming included. Feel free to flame Valve/ID/Nintendo/sony/wal-Mart/yogurt or whatever you want, but don't flame each other.

Just taking a rain check before the **** hits the fan...

Best answers
i've personally been loving doom 3, i expected nothing more than a zombie/demon bloodbath and i not only got that but the game is pretty dange scary(maybe its because i try to play it in pitch black with headphones). I don't know what everyone was expecting from the game but i figure it delivered on what it promised.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive been saying this about the "expansion" pack for doom 3 ever sence it was announced

and for the record my respect for id ran out when i played doom 3

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All the fault of john carmack.... he insisted to re-make doom, and put it into a new and fabulous engine... i heard they even had a fight, and that john carmack threathened to step up and quit so they had no other choice but to give in, and make doom3....

Well it looks awsome, but its to heavy... to linear and repetitve, so boring after 10/20 minutes...

Now they are creating a addon wich sucks even more..

stealing idea's like bullet time and a gravity gun like hl2 is just low... they should sue ID software... ;/ or fire carmack.

Or even better, noone should even buy the freaking addon...

Best answers
Meh, they can steal all the ideas they want, I'll wait until I play the final product before I judge it. Pretty much every other game I can think off blatantly rips off someones elses ideas, but they're just more subtle about it. This expansion on the other hand, takes one of the main features of it's highly successful rival, and takes bullet time, one of the most famous features of modern films and games and doesn't even try to hide it with a decent name. I actually laughed out loud when I read that it was called Hell-Time. It's a bit cheap of them to so blatantly rip off these ideas, but if they execute them well, I'll still get it. Although I get the feeling that if they're having to market the game with the popular features of other games, then it probably isn't shaping up that well. Regardless, because it's being marketed in this way, it's probably going to sell extremely well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Magus said:
Alright..I can already see where this thread is headed, feel free to flame games, but if there is one post of people flaming each other, they will suffer the consequences. Mild flaming included. Feel free to flame Valve/ID/Nintendo/sony/wal-Mart/yogurt or whatever you want, but don't flame each other.

Just taking a rain check before the **** hits the fan...

*sets magus on fire*

well, to put it bluntly, you cant make an origional fps anymore, even hl2 wasnt really origional or innovating.

"ZOMG all hell has broken loose, and i think i have to take my trusty crowbar/chainsaw/candycane/pet hampster (think baldurs gate 2 i know its not a fps but the thought applys), and go safe the world!!!.

During my epic saga of world saving you will meet: countless inept enemy soldiers who have the combined skill of not even 1 of you. a few would be do-gooders, lets face it, they would do good, if they didnt die the first chance they get.
a couple of new creatures, and/or ones that look vaguely familiar and may have existed in either a book/film i recently read/watched.
some way to control said creatures.
1 damsel in distress
1 father who begs you to save her
1 madman who doesnt really care as long as he gets his own way.

and ill battle all the way through these unspeakable odds for an ending that barely fits the rest of the game if it does at all!!!"

btw, that was a sum up of fps in general.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like they should just call it. "Doom 3. Half-Matrix" Or something else ghey that ID would think of

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wy deverz?

how are they doing anything different than any other game? max payne was origional to a point, except the bullet time thing. and hl2 was by far one of the most unorigional games ever "ZOMG ITS THE ARCHNID ARMY OF PLANET P!!!!!"

>_>

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I played Doom 3 for all of 20 minutes, then it became boring and repetitive. I cannot see any improvement pulling the fantastic lighting engine out of the gutter. I'll wait for the official plot expansion, Dark Forces V/Jedi Knight IV. At least then I'll enjoy it for a few hours.

Ironically, I haven't had more fun with the two teaser levels Valve sent down as a demo for HL2 via steam. In fact, I'm fairly sure I played it more often than Doom 3.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like ID could ever compete with Valve anyways... Doom 3 reminds me of most of the original X-Box Games.

All graphics, no substance.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
I played Doom 3 for all of 20 minutes, then it became boring and repetitive. I cannot see any improvement pulling the fantastic lighting engine out of the gutter. I'll wait for the official plot expansion, Dark Forces V/Jedi Knight IV. At least then I'll enjoy it for a few hours.

Ironically, I haven't had more fun with the two teaser levels Valve sent down as a demo for HL2 via steam. In fact, I'm fairly sure I played it more often than Doom 3.

they are making that? i was under the impression lucasarts were going to try to make Ep3 the game, the next in the jedi knight series (after the monumental flop that is jka....even though its fun to play now and again it still feels like more of an expansion to JO than a new game).

doom 3 did have the best lighting so far... but unreal 3 looks to beat that into the ground :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Doom3: The One FreeMan (arf.)

Doom3's graphics were it's strongest point and it's nice to see they're taking a step in the right direction by enhancing the gameplay, but it's a step taken with Valve's shoe and the Watchowski brothers sock. I think FPS games can still be original, but they have to have new ideas rather than repeat the old ones in order to do so. I own a good 40 games and about 6 of them implement a form of bullet-time in someway or another. I'd prefer for them to add something more related to Hell like abilities, magic, embuement, etc instead of ripping off uninspired ideas.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
they are making that? i was under the impression lucasarts were going to try to make Ep3 the game, the next in the jedi knight series (after the monumental flop that is jka....even though its fun to play now and again it still feels like more of an expansion to JO than a new game).

doom 3 did have the best lighting so far... but unreal 3 looks to beat that into the ground :D
Pure, unadulterated sarcasm . . . :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know how you can call HL2's plot unoriginal. Yeah, there's an alien invasion; then again if you describe anything in three words it can be generic. "You shoot people." I mean I can say that about a lot of games, but that doesn't mean Metal Gear Solid wasn't more original in gameplay than Metal Slug. It's intricacies that make the difference. HL2's alien invasion was far from typical fair. It's layered conspiracies and veiled events, presented to you in an abstract way, very untypical of most any fps. Most any fps never has you in the character's eyes the -entire- ride through; you're forced to figure everything out from what Gordon sees, and Gordon sees a lot less than what is convenient.

Of course all hell breaks loose. How do you have an action game where all hell doesn't break loose? Barney the Dinosaur's Alphabetical Adventure, maybe. Hell, there wasn't a "damsel in distress" in HL1, and Alyx in HL2 is far from in distress anyway; she saves your life, you never save her's. You work together to save her father. Nor was there one in Unreal, in Quake, or any of the Dooms to the best of my knowledge, or Halo 1 (never played Halo 2 but I still doubt it). You can also throw out pretty much every war-time fps (Call of Duty, Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon series, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942, SOCOM: Navy Seals etc.)

In fact the only fps that I can think of where you rescue damsels is Duke Nukem, which it was basically known for. Your synopsis of all fps, IMO, is pretty damn bunk.

It's true your stronger than most in general, although in Rainbow Six you die in like 1 hit. Either way, nobody wants to play a 5 minute game where you land on Omaha Beach and are instantly killed by a mortar round into your boat. Ohhhhh so realistic and fun.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hitokiri said:
I don't know how you can call HL2's plot unoriginal. Yeah, there's an alien invasion; then again if you describe anything in three words it can be generic. "You shoot people." I mean I can say that about a lot of games, but that doesn't mean Metal Gear Solid wasn't more original in gameplay than Metal Slug. It's intricacies that make the difference. HL2's alien invasion was far from typical fair. It's layered conspiracies and veiled events, presented to you in an abstract way, very untypical of most any fps. Most any fps never has you in the character's eyes the -entire- ride through; you're forced to figure everything out from what Gordon sees, and Gordon sees a lot less than what is convenient.

Of course all hell breaks loose. How do you have an action game where all hell doesn't break loose? Barney the Dinosaur's Alphabetical Adventure, maybe. Hell, there wasn't a "damsel in distress" in HL1, and Alyx in HL2 is far from in distress anyway; she saves your life, you never save her's. You work together to save her father. Nor was there one in Unreal, in Quake, or any of the Dooms to the best of my knowledge, or Halo 1 (never played Halo 2 but I still doubt it). You can also throw out pretty much every war-time fps (Call of Duty, Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon series, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942, SOCOM: Navy Seals etc.)

In fact the only fps that I can think of where you rescue damsels is Duke Nukem, which it was basically known for. Your synopsis of all fps, IMO, is pretty damn bunk.

It's true your stronger than most in general, although in Rainbow Six you die in like 1 hit. Either way, nobody wants to play a 5 minute game where you land on Omaha Beach and are instantly killed by a mortar round into your boat. Ohhhhh so realistic and fun.

1. i wasnt saying that was how all fps storys are, tis just how most "save the world" stories are.

2. hl2 is by no means abstract. its a very plain, and very boring story, but then again i read a lot of books over 500 pages, so my idea of a good story might be different to yours.

3. the gameplay WASNT innovative. name 1 thing you could do that you couldnt in any other game...oh yeh, the grav gun.... correct me if im wrong, but in a lot of other games which involve feats of strength and/or magic, you could do much the same thing, just without the word "gun".

4. the game took me 7 hours to beat. which is fast by most peoples standards, and even faster by mine.

5. any game that takes 6 years to develope should have more defining features than "zomg we have fractual water", which, in fact, is a capability in doom 3, just no ones implimented it. cos theres no point, your on a friggin rock!

6. the whole point of realistic games is to be eh....realistic? yeh i think i got that right... rainbow six is a realistic game meaning you do things as if they were real...that includes dying from 1 well aimed shot, and fighting enemies that arent actually stupid. you call hl2's ai super advanced. but i never found the combine able to pin me down and/or aim for my head. OR choose and target specific key team members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom