Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Im doing a whole bunch of player animations and im having dramas with my ref_swinger animations in-game. The attachments are all fine, both players being connected to each other by the right bits, but the opponent being swung doesnt rotate properly around my player.

Its weird to explain, My players animation is pretty basic- two handed grab and spinning to the right, no tilt, no weird tentacle or tail shenanigans. The enemy is attached to my players hands as I spin around, but hes not spinning around with me. He just stays at the same rotation as he was when he started to be swung.

I just cant figure out what im doing wrong, its driving me nuts, does anyone know where the problem lies?

EDIT: Im converting the 1.3 KidBuu into EvilBuu for use with 1.2.3 (And yes I have permission from Enix & MastSurf)

Last edited:
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I have no idea, but maybe there are seperate animations for swinging and being swung?

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
yes i know that, ref_swinger fast/slow and ref_swung. Im animating every 1.2 animation by hand in milkshape btw

My swung animation works fine, its my swinging one that goes weird. My player grabs the enemy and spins, but my enemy wont spin with me at all. So in other words, i spin on an axis but the enemy doesnt rotate at all but still stays attached to my hands.

Im not too sure how the throw works exactly, but im thinking the game wants a specific bone to rotate in a certain way, or that i need to tell it something more in the qc file, i really dont know. I feel like im missing some kind of rule-of-thumb for making swinger aniimations.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Decompile an existing model and check the QC file?

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah ive been cross referencing all the way. The swinger sequences have no events on them, just standard ref name and fps

Attachments are all sweet and working. I thoughtthe problem could be my bone controllers, but i have the right number and they bend the spine at the right points and angles, so i dunno.

Im curious as to how the throw works engine wise - does it rely solely on the animations and attachments of the 2 mdls involved in the throw, or does the game engine itself control the situation any more than telling the 2 mdls to attach to each other?
I figured the swung mdl would be attached to the thrower mdl, and hence would rotate about the throwers point of rotation, but apparently not. My throwee just attaches to my hand as I spin, almost like a crank on a wheel.

EDIT : >_< so frustrating, this is driving me nuts. Ive tried everything I can think of

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Still cant get it to swing enemies properly, going insane over this...

A couple questions to the more experienced animators :

1) When doing a [spinning] throw animation, is it better to rotate the mdl using the base bone, or the pelvis bone?

2) How much of an influence do my bone controllers (in the qc) have on the swinger animations?

I reinstalled esf and retested...Now when i attempt a throw, my enemy disappears until i let them go. Ive seen this type of thing before with other models. BTW im using a headtentacle type throw animation.

Im thinking that the engine is wanting a particular bone to attach the 2 players, since messing with the attacments in the qc doesnt appear to have any effect at all.

So, assuming that the KidBuu mdl doesnt have this bone, i would then have to find the name of the bone the engine is after, and rename a particular bone in the kidbuu ref, and for all the animations.....before i go about doing this i wanna know if im on the right track or not, any advice?

Last edited:
Former Forcepit Member :(
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
well you could add a bone to his head bone and call it banana

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Really, how is that helpful? If you dont have any useful input dont bother posting >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom