Recession

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love how some people dramatize it this much. Basically, all you really have to worry about is losing your job, finding another for a company not in jeopardy(yet), and don't be in debt. I'm sure it's depressing to have to walk away from your home, but if you can't afford it, don't ever look back, and maybe next time watch the status of the economy you oblivious douches.

The upper class have little to worry about, if they're smart, and the middle is ****ed if they're dumb, and the lower class is inevitably and contently ****ed. The downturn's like life survival, but less important, people just made it more important, and grieved essential over a false, material purpose.

It's just too bad. Never trust the Man using a hoola-hoop with glass balls of sentimental value attached to it, dangling just small threads.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love how some people dramatize it this much. Basically, all you really have to worry about is losing your job, finding another for a company not in jeopardy(yet), and get out of debt. I'm sure it's depressing to have to walk away from your home, but if you can't afford it, don't ever look back, and maybe next time watch the status of the economy you oblivious douches.

It's just too bad. Never trust the Man using a hoola-hoop with glass balls of sentimental value attached to it, by just a small thread.
That's all well and good if you're lucky enough to live in a large city. If you live in a rural area, finding a company or another job is going to be quite a *****. What if Ford is the main supplier of jobs near you, and they need to close the plant to meet their bottom line? If that's all you know how to do, you're pretty much ****ed. Entire towns have been abandoned because of that kind of thing.

When people bought the houses they couldn't afford, the economy was looking great. That's why they bought them. They were told it was going to be smooth sailing and all they had to do was keep paying on time and bingo bango they'd own a mansion. That obviously didn't work out too great.

As for this Man with the hoola-hoop...I'd like to meet him. He intrigues me.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
to wage war against a nation that actually borrows money just to build weapons that kill people more efficiently.
I never thought about it like that, but it's true. That's hilarious on so many levels.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I refuse the idea of the US ever not being a superpower. USA forever!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Long live Rome!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Long live Rome!
This made my face smile.

Is it too arrogant to say that the world needs America?

Also J-Dude, don't forget the Japanese attacked us while we were still in a depression (not because we were "weaker", just because they didn't want to be threatened by Pearl Harbor). And even though we were attacked in our weakened state, we still won the world and dropped a nuke on their country. Twice. Then our status in the world skyrocketed.

Last edited:

G
Reckon the US was a super power 1,800 BC? Hell, I think it's an exaggeration calling America a super power today; unless you want to accept that China is too, because they are without a doubt more powerful than America- mostly economically, but also culturally.

*edit* Oh wow, just read Jefferson above, that is so much better than my post.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
China is NOT more powerful than the U.S. culturally. Their really not even close.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Even though China's economy is strong(which I have no clue why it is) I hardly think they can win a war against USA thinking about it Army-wise.

I don't think they invest most of there resources in the army, not like the USA anyhow.

Although I don't think there infantry troops number is a problem (lol)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reckon the US was a super power 1,800 BC? Hell, I think it's an exaggeration calling America a super power today; unless you want to accept that China is too, because they are without a doubt more powerful than America- mostly economically, but also culturally.

*edit* Oh wow, just read Jefferson above, that is so much better than my post.
Culturally? I don't know what you're smoking. No individuality over there. They're like a colony of ants. I've got an online friend who was born over there (now lives in LA) and man is his perspective different. He finds holidays pointless, sees happiness and money as being tied together, and he thinks most of us are wimps for getting and feeling the need for family affection, since reality for him always was that you succeed and to what's expected of you or your family kickas your ass.

I mean, is it condusive to a strong economy? Sure. But would you really want to live with that kind of mentality?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Culturally? I don't know what you're smoking. No individuality over there. They're like a colony of ants. I've got an online friend who was born over there (now lives in LA) and man is his perspective different. He finds holidays pointless, sees happiness and money as being tied together, and he thinks most of us are wimps for getting and feeling the need for family affection, since reality for him always was that you succeed and to what's expected of you or your family kickas your ass.

I mean, is it condusive to a strong economy? Sure. But would you really want to live with that kind of mentality?
I take issue with the parts in bold, but only because they're incredibly untrue. Granted, I only know Chinese immigrants, but they all have extremely tight-knit families, enjoy Chinese New Year (and those goddamn red envelopes full of money), New Years Day and Christmas and are quite happy, despite having relatively low salaries. You know why they're happy? Goes back to the tight-knit family part.

I mean seriously, an ant colony? If we're going to make sweeping generalizations, then Americans participate in a rat race and most certainly believe one's happiness is proportional to one's supply of cash.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well that's not how he is. I've heard him explain it to the folks in my chat group. He doesn't even believe in celebrating birthdays, said he never got nothing and always goes on a rant everytime a holiday like Christmas or Easter is mentioned.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't celebrate my birthday, and I view Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and Halloween as Hallmark holidays aimed at getting consumers to purchase as much as humanly possible.

Oh noes.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I don't celebrate my birthday, and I view Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and Halloween as Hallmark holidays aimed at getting consumers to purchase as much as humanly possible.

Oh noes.
I celebrate your birthday. I celebrate your birthday long time!

I'm posting only to say that I love thanksgiving like a fiery passion of fire. Really. Any dinner where I can eat as much as I want when I want, how i want, and smother my entire plate in gravy is just awesome.

If I had things my way, every day would be thanks giving. And thanks giving dinners would be free for everyone. Because they're that good.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This entire forum celebrates your birthday twice a year. You really can't ask for much more than that, Mr. Jefferson.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't celebrate birthdays or holidays either. China looks like a rough place to live glancing at it from over here but humans are adaptable and I'm sure their life experience is just as varied as ours is.

Also, culturally speaking, the chinese have a whole lot of years on us in developing their religion and world views. The US is a fruit salad of different largely intolerant cultures all trying to get by but I wouldn't consider that culturally rich, or an enriching experience for most people. There is bleedover here and there but I wouldn't say America has its own super culture, we kind of just borrow from other nations.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't celebrate birthdays or holidays either. China looks like a rough place to live glancing at it from over here but humans are adaptable and I'm sure their life experience is just as varied as ours is.

Also, culturally speaking, the chinese have a whole lot of years on us in developing their religion and world views. The US is a fruit salad of different largely intolerant cultures all trying to get by but I wouldn't consider that culturally rich, or an enriching experience for most people. There is bleedover here and there but I wouldn't say America has its own super culture, we kind of just borrow from other nations.
When I think of modern culture, I think of movies, media (music for example), literature, technology, and government in general (back when we weren't (openly) *******s, our forum of government was pretty intriguing to new nations. So much so that they sometimes modeled their government after our own). Sure, we borrow ideas from other nations, but we don't just slap a new name on it. We improve upon those ideas and attempt to take them to the next level. That's why I'm able to appreciate Japanese tech. A lot of the time, they're building on the foundation we laid out, but they kick it up 90 notches.

We've given a lot to the world.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love to celebrate my birthday and holidays.

Does that make me a tool :(?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Please research Confucius and his teachings of social harmony before you blindly believe what one man says. I think your friend is messing with you.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Really? If you ever find yourself in China, go up to a random person on the street and insult their ancestors and/or family. You'll find yourself either being cursed at with the fullest extent of the Chinese language or on the ground, getting your head stomped in.

The reverence the Chinese hold for their ancestors and family is without equal (though, if I remember correctly, the Japanese are not too far behind).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom