Recession

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, who's looking forward to it?

I'm a little worried about it, but I have no idea of the full extent of how damaging this will be. I don't know much about economy, but the way the news has been covering it is making this seem ****ing scary.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aren't we already in the recession?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here they haven't said that we are in recession just yet, but many think that recession has started, apparently its quite hard to pinpoint when a recession begins.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've always lived within my means, so I'm not worried.

G
It'll be a blast. Seriously, stock up on canned food and crap. Assuming you live in the US, you'll get it worst.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the Guardian ftw though

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For some reason, the UK blip is in Southeast Asia.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
At least gas is a better price at the moment. 15 dollars for nearly half my tank. That's better than it was.

My job is giving my barely 10 hours a week though. I'm looking into a 2nd one. My family thankfully was smart enough to not get involved with the housing loan crap, so they'll weather the storm alright.

As to a "new world order"...

Uh, yeah...no

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, because there's no better compensation for a worldwide economic recession than lower gas prices.

Reactions: sub
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, because there's no better compensation for a worldwide economic recession than lower gas prices.
He was just being optimistic is all. Looking on the bright side.

I know almost nothing about economics, and while things are very bad now, it's not going to be another Great Depression with people in bread lines and Dust Bowls and that whatnot.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Simple facts, here. Don't carry debt that's not educational, major purchase, IE vehicle, or a home loan. Have a stable income as possible. Have a stable living situation. For those of moving out age, might wanna consider living at home longer. Live within your means. If you can't pay it off by the end of the month, you can't afford it. And above all else, DO NOT SELL ANY INVESTMENTS YOU HAVE. TBH, I wish I had more free capital to invest (can't afford anything other than what my employer provides). Because there's basically two options. Either the market recovers or our economy tanks, takes others with us, and our money won't mean **** anyhow. Basically, at this point, try to stay stable and ride it out. I'm lucky to have a job and employer (mostly) paid health care.

As for gas prices, call me a pessimist, but I think it's mostly the oil companies jockeying for votes for the party that supports their policies.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, it's beginning to look a lot like Dust Bowl!

Sentries everywhere...

We are trapped inside our spawn;

we have uber so mvoe on.

There are lots of sniper so, beware!

It's beginning to look a lot like Dust Bowl!

Stickies on the floor;

They explode without a doubt;

Flying giblets all about...

and we've lost for sure!

Our heavies are burning, and points, we're not earning as rockets shoot through the zone.

Syringes are flying, and scouts they are dying and kukris cut through the bone...

The countdown clock is running out, and we are getting owned...

It's beginning to look lot like Dustbowl...

Soon this match will end...

Can't hope for overtime; this beating should be a crime!

Our turn toooooooo deeeeeeeeefend!

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As for gas prices, call me a pessimist, but I think it's mostly the oil companies jockeying for votes for the party that supports their policies.
I think it has more to do with these companies wanting to secure their long (er, relatively speaking) term profits.

G
As to a "new world order"...

Uh, yeah...no
Are you referring to the Guardian article? They were simply stating that the current economic world power may shift from the west to the east.
And looking further into their article, on their lil' flash world map showing how the economy will affect the world, they've got an interesting point. Russia is set strong to survive this, Canada is fine, America is screwed. It'll certainly change the balance of power.

And damn, that Onion link was awesome. It took me a moment to look at the banner and realise what was going on.

Best answers
Just so everyone knows, the dustbowl was a farming situation where a severe drought caused topsoil to lose its ability to hold crops and nurture them in growth. Unless we have a severe drought, we won't be having this problem.

America has been in a recession for a while now, the question is whether or not it will turn into a depression. There have been depressions in the past, and the U.S. has come through, I doubt we won't weather this one too.

My life is more or less the same, I make less due to the fact that I'm a waiter and the first thing people cut back on is tipping. Not going out to eat in general, just how much they tip. It's stupid because giving a good tip only adds a few dollars more to your bill. (For everyone who doesn't know, a good tip is 20%, that means if your server does their job competently you should give them something close to that). But my wages are never set so I don't notice too much...just have to cut back on extras.

Still doing my part and investing in mutual savings though...actually made part of my investments more technology intensive as tech stocks are at a low and will most assuredly climb their way back up.

Yay economics...boo trickle down effect

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's crucial that we DON'T lose our national power. Could you imagine just how quickly our enemies would attack us if we were suddenly weaker?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's crucial that we DON'T lose our national power. Could you imagine just how quickly our enemies would attack us if we were suddenly weaker?
Yeah, man. Iran would be like, "Now's our chance to get NATO really pissed off at us!" and Russia would say, "**** YEAH LETS DO IT BECAUSE RETALIATING AGAINST GEORGIA WORKED OUT SO WELL FOR US ECONOMICALLY!" and then China would say, "WELL **** IF WE DESTROY THEM WHO'S GOING TO BUY THEIR GODDAMN DEBT?!" and then everyone realizes we're better off not being attacked, because us no longer being a super power means we're no longer a threat, and it'd be much sweeter (and safer) to make us suckle on their radioactive teet for the next 100 years than to wage war against a nation that actually borrows money just to build weapons that kill people more efficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom