Rantin' -N- Ravin'

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KarrdeKNR said:
I can comment on the cures thing. First, I'll be clear and to the point. Companies are not in the business of curing people. It is not profitable. Instead, they choose programs that manage the illness. Researchers are in the business of curing people, but they have to work with the drug companies to do jack. I do not say this without base. I've talked to Doctors (MD), doctors (PHD), rsearchers, read print information, etc. My favorite example came from a medical technology firm. This involved the curing of mantle cell carcinoma (at least I *THINK* it was a carcinoma) cancer. Note that this cure was specifically for this general category of diseases. It affected in some way, the white blood cells, so if the cancer didn't kill you, you'd die from a secondary infection. The CEO of this medical equipment company was diagnosed with this cancer. He ended up pouring tons of money into the development of a machine that essentially filtered out healthy white blood cell stem cells (note that these cells are not the same as a lot of stem cells. They're predestined to become some variety of white blood cells - hence they can't be used for anything else) from among the cancerous ones. The basic idea was that with a supply of these stem cells, they'd hit you with high doses of chemotherapy and radiotherapy which would completely annihilate his immune system, thus wiping out any cancerous cells along with it. He was isolated for about 15 days after the treatment while the radioactive effects wore off and his body normalized. He became ill with a bacterial infection, nearly dying, but it was ultimately defeated through the use of a powerful antibiotic ****tail. In the end, they injected him with the stem cells and he made a full recovery. After his experience, the company wanted to market the product but it was deemed illegal since another company already had a long lasting patent on the basic premise of the technology (even though each company developed it independently). The other company did nothing with it despite their patent. They merely sat on their right to do something. To this date they never did anything with it. Companies are not in the market to cure ppl.

Regarding baseball, yeah, what ya gonna do. Lots of ppl make way more money than they should.

Regarding homsexuality, my god, wth. Bad thing to get me started on. Needless to say I think what happened is totally messed up. Give it 10 years, when our generation takes everything over, I think things will get a hell of a lot better. What we're seeing now is a last desperate attempt from members of the older generations to preserve their way of life and their traditional "Values" (and I use the term loosely).

*EDITZILLA!!* Ok, seriously NO MORE TALK OF RELIGION!! Nobody is exempt from this rule regardless of how it's being used. No aoplogies for using it, whatever, lets just keep religioin out of the game.

*edit again* and apparently lets keep a spellchecker handy next time too.

-Karrde-
Certain companies may indeed hold back cures for diseases, and possibly vaccinations for viruses. The point is, there's no cure for the common cold, which is viral or HIV.

There will never be a cure for HIV. The most we can hope for is a vaccine for the virus. How can you prevent getting the incurable virus? Well, until the vaccine comes along, use condoms. They prevent pregnancy, as well as numerous other viral STDs which will also never have cures, because they're viral.

(You should note that this isn't specifically directed at you, Karrde.)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guess waht. It's all gonna get worse. And SOON.

I hate to be a Harbinger of doom, but keep an eye out,a nd know when to run.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
do any of you realize how hard it is to become a professional athelete? i'd say about 1/1000 people have the talent to become a pro athelete, and more-so than that to have the dedication to train to make it pro.... i agree that some atheletes (baseball inparticular) get payed WAY to much, but for the most part, they deserve it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the cure thing should be quite obvious, the pharmacies would never let a complete cure for the cold exist, only a short fix so they can make money on it. Cancer and such might get a complete cure, but not if people think the world is too crowded..

Sports stars make way too much money.. I think 2 pct of the worlds sports stars income should go to schools and teachers.

Best answers
@Athletes: Yes. Too much money. I don't really see how a competitive environment equals higher pay... 1/1000 may have the talent, but it's not a productive thing, the money that goes into them should go into more productive projects.

@Homosexuality: This is a kind of odd subject with me. I'm not going to insult homosexuals, I'm not going to try and eliminate them, but at the same time, I'm not going to actively support it, for the sole fact that it's not how the reproductive system was designed to be used, and I'm somewhat conservative. Now, I'm not saying you're a bad person and homosexuality is the downfall of society, you seem like a perfectly likeable person, and I have no problem with your preference, it's just that I'm not going to go out and...

I don't know, to me, it seems like it's been created by society... (Which is specifically why I have no problem with it)

Gah, someone's going to take this personally, I just know it ><

Sorry in advance, this is merely my stance. No offense intended.

Best answers
Cures
About the common cold. I don't knwo about you, but whenever I do get colds (which does happen often, I have one right now), I just take a combination of DayQuil/NyQuil and I'm good to go within a couple days. Problem with people and simple sicknesses is that they take medicine for a day or so, then stop when it starts to feel better. Take strep throat for example, most of the time it's treated by a liquid medicine, usually designated to be taken for 10 days. Too many people take it for 8 or 9 days, and then the virus comes back with a stronger immunity to the previous medicine (yeah, it's happened to me several times). I think the problem is that when people are sick they don't often take medicine.

Play Ball
I agree with you whole-heartedly. But you have to look at it this way: millions of people in the United States watch the world series, and it generates millions upon millions of dollars in revenue for the Football teams and the Baseball teams. Thing is, if they did not split this money (yes some get a LOT more than others, but starting salary of a Baseball player is still quite high), then people would ask where it's all going. Would it go to the owner's? It wouldn't be too fair to have the owner's of the league making over a half billion a year and only paying the players fifty to a hundred grand a year.

Homosexuality
Now, I'm not ***. I don't have any *** friends. But if another guy feels that he is only comfortable with other men then that's his business. After all, these two men are both God's children right? Should they not be happy just because of what a book says?
The world is changing, homosexuality is being accepted more and more, just look at San Francisco, where the *** population is something like 40%. Sure you can think that homosexuality is wrong or sinful, or go so far as to say they should all die (in that case you will not have my respect), but the bottom line is homosexuality is not going anywhere. There is nothing anyone can do about it, except accept it, and get on with our lives.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't agree with some aspects of things. The Cure thing, sure it's not profitable for the medical companies, but that doesn't mean that dedicated doctors out there have not attempted to find a way.

The athlete thing is simple--they generate a ****load of revenue, period. They have to own ball clubs, ball parks, and bargain with millions of dollars because it's a millions of dollars kind of business. If you paid the athletes less, then the ballpark guys would have billions of leftover dollars...wasted money. I'd rather have the athletes have it; many athletes donate money to good causes and use their social status to help other organizations, and not to mention that they don't just go out and play a game for a living; they have to train, stay in shape, go to the gym, and go across the country and/or world, many times without their families, and are constantly practicing. So theoretically, they don't really have it so easy, after all.

The *** thing, I disagree with. Being *** nowadays is cause for celebration. *** people are celebrities, they get their own themed network now even. You must live in a ****ty area if you're sexual preference gets you persecuted...here, you'd get offered a TV contract--assuming of course that you were absolutely amazingly ***er than the ***est of the ***.

Now, there's nothing wrong with being homosexual at all, and personally I don't have a problem with it outside of the really obvious uber***s that clearly aren't even that *** and are just milking their ***ness for mass appeal (yes, here that is a common issue). I suspect that where you are, you must be marred by either old people or unaccepting republitards. Here in democratic massachusetts, the ***s get everything but a pension plan for being ***.

I feel bad for people who cannot adapt. Like it or not, it's the situation. You'd think people would just shut up and get over it.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Atheletes make that much money because the consumers choose to pay so much for tickets to games and on merchandizing and on other miscelanious sports related activities. Advertisers play a big roll.

Pro Atheletes have a big job. Sports isn't just guys hitting stuff with their body or with a stick, it's performing in front of millions of people regularly for entertainment and marketting value. Everybody gets something out of sports. Sports brings people who have nothing else in common together and it makes a lot of people money. The Atheletes deserve their pay because where else would that money go? Sure you could route more of it to the pockets of the people who run the sporting events or the the stations that host the events but they don't need it.

Very few atheletes make it to pro, it's risk vs. reward. If you focus more on your athletic skills than on your mind and don't make it into the big leagues you are not going to see those huge paychecks. You might not see any paychecks.

Cures... I'll... leave that alone.

Homsexuality I agree with Pride, at least to some extent. Homosexuals are more accepted now than they ever have been, you just have to give it time. Homosexuals make up one tenth of the population and yet they have parades and TV networks and their own clubs and everything else. Of course prejudice still exists but not like it used to. Lots of minorities are given crap for being minorities, homosexuals are no exception.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Just..people are peopleand even the slightest discrimination against them they feel parades are their way of reforming, I guarantee once this generation takes over and people accept it, the parades will stop.

Or else I'll be doing caucasian parades (not white supremesist) because I'm entitled to have pride in being....uhm...me! YES I'LL DO A ME PARADE!!!

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
FreeDoM said:
Homosexuality is sinful. In God's eyes it's as equally sinful as stealing, lying, cheating ect. Unfortunately people and stereotypes have made it seem like Christianity is totally against homosexuals. However, it has always been, "Love the sinner, hate the sin". I remember seeing that story from Dr. Laura before, i also remember it being inaccurate and out of context. Marrage by definition is, "A union between a man and a woman". There is no such thing as *** marrage and there never will be, not to say that they can't go to wedding, have a reception, and ride off for the honeymoon. It's still not marrage, it's something else. I'm not here to spread the word of God (although i should). I'm just clarifying and defending a book which i hold true to my heart. Thank you.
Sorry, but how can you believe in the bible if its been rewritting about a thousand times.

I do agree about there being a higher form of some sort, but the bible is just bs in my eyes.

And a thing about homoseksuality, every 1 out of 10 people is ***, just too let you know >_>

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What did soni and I say about religion? Keep it out of this discussion. Next person to mention it gets a warning. And don't apologize in thread.

@pride: lmao. That was hilarious (@homosexuality). Though you're wrong about having to live in a crap area for ppl to be persecuted for being ***. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota and there's still problems. It's not like someone's gonna get stopped on the street and insulted at random, but there are issues. Granted it's mostly by the so called Republitards (retarded party line republicans who can't think for themselves) and people with religious motives (no this doesn't constitue talking about religion since I'm merely stating the state of affairs). We're a liberal state and they still tried to amend the constitution to ban *** marriage. A campus christian group managed to hound the university into letting them require that voting members follow their viewpoint. This violates the university's non discrimination act for groups to receive university rooms ands funding (while the anime-manga society gets no funding, grrr - and still not religion, just prime local examples). Granted that much of minneapolis is very open and affirming, I just wanted to show that everywhere has serious problems still.

-Karrde-

Best answers
Devion said:
Sorry, but how can you believe in the bible if its been rewritting about a thousand times.

I do agree about there being a higher form of some sort, but the bible is just bs in my eyes.

And a thing about homoseksuality, every 1 out of 10 people is ***, just too let you know >_>

Anyway ya homosexuals...hey if you are one..you are one. I know people out there call you names etc etc. But hey dont we all get discriminated? ESPECIALLY WOMEN?! Guys too..believe it or not there are homosexuals out there that treat other guys like eye candy and whistle at them, etc. Basically doing the same thing to guys do to women. (not all guys to women just saying in general) If you're a homosexual, fine with me just dont hit on me. Go that far and I'll kill yoU! jk but i would just go whoa there buddy...ok cya. o_o

Edit: Lol Mr. Satan of course i would have your baby!!!!!!! Ok let me rephrase the last sentence...I'd be like uhh buddy...I'm not that way so i'd appreciate it if ya know just like...dont. We can hang out but i dont wanna get involved that way buddy I'm sry. If this is gonna be a problem i think we should just stop here. :scared: There we are. Much better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NeLo said:
Anyway ya homosexuals...hey if you are one..you are one. I know people out there call you names etc etc. But hey dont we all get discriminated? ESPECIALLY WOMEN?! Guys too..believe it or not there are homosexuals out there that treat other guys like eye candy and whistle at them, etc. Basically doing the same thing to guys do to women. (not all guys to women just saying in general) If you're a homosexual, fine with me just dont hit on me. Go that far and I'll kill yoU! jk but i would just go whoa there buddy...ok cya. o_o

So...NeLo...(aka Nemo9). We've known each other for a long time...and I was thinking...would you have my baby? lol j/k

ANYWAYS check out THESE responses.

I like this post by Parane

I'm sorry to have to say this, but any straight people who are posting about homosexuality, you have no idea what it's like.

To my knowledge, black people never had to come out as being black, because they were most oftenly born into a world where they were surrounded by at least one black person. For the most part they knew that there were people like them.

Being homosexual is something that for the most part of your life you endure alone. The only way you can possibly identify with other homosexual people is by coming out, which in itself is an injustice, because the world will automatically assume you're straight, and because a dependency had been built on you to be straight, you can hurt yourself and a lot of people who will feel deceived.

And after coming out, most of the people you encounter who know you're homosexual will give you a hard time about it. Most of you who've posted will have made a disparaging remark towards a homosexual or homosexuals in general at least once in your lifetime.

On the other hand, black people also suffered great injustice and I'm not saying that the current state of prosecution against homosexuals measures up to that, but I believe that they are both significant in different ways, and comparing them is not fair. It is not fair to say that one suffered more than the other, however, because there are different levels on which people suffer.

On a final note;
Black people never had to come out and say "Hey, I'm black."

Edit: Fixed improper wording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom