Railgun

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No no.. my point is (yeah there is one), with the way current world leaders are behaving, I find the thought of having what you call "The Ultimate Weapon" becoming reality somewhat disturbing.. Hypothetically speaking.. if any country would have such a weapon.. do you think the rest of the world will just drop to it's knees and surrender? I think it's more likely they'll just go ahead and move in for the kill (I don't mean any one country, a bunch of 'm :p). Weapons development these days is becomingly increasingly similar to a pissing contest... I can't help but wonder when someone is going to make the first move. :(

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The rest of the world would hesitate to anger such a nation and would in all probability just leave them alone. If someone were to create an Ultimate Weapon, no one, and I mean no one, would sacrifice their entire population to obtain or copy that weapon.

If for some reason, an alliance was formed and they attacked out of fear and fear alone, they will have become the "bad guys".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm just glad it's still speculation. :p

Best answers
That wasnt to unexpectable.
Eaven i know how to build a rail or gauss gun.
Problem is i wont have my hands on sutch a energy source required to fire it.
Materials themselfes are difficult to get aswell and i dont have that sort of free money.

We need to build just one really, really, crazy-looking, super powerful ultimate weapon that won't blow up the world. Sure, a weapon of that magnitude in the hands of the wrong person could be disastrous, but if a leader who wasn't an absolute prick had it, he could basically end all wars. Who would want to fight a war when one of the sides has a weapon that could kill everyone without doing any damage to the Earth?
A bit utopic, dont you think, with the world as it is id figure sooner or later there will come a prick to that posittion adventualy.
And "end all wars" can be done in more ways than one. :devgrin: (kill all human -> no war, atleast untill something evolvs again)

And the owner of that ultimate weapon would probably "join" all world under singel coverments domination.
I woudnt like it, but no one would ask my oppinion anyway.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Corefinder said:
Materials themselfes are difficult to get aswell and i dont have that sort of free money.
So basically... you have an idea?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That wasnt to unexpectable.
So, you are able to build something that took scientists years to research? Something that is still being researched, and has no chance of application anytime soon?

I'm still waiting to see if the Future Force Warrior program has made any advancements since the lasts tests (if I remember correctly, only two out of forty something tests were passing).

I wish they didn't stop working on the Comanche.

Best answers
More or less.
Well railgunn is difficult to make, eaven if i would have the materials, puting them together right can cause a problem.
And puting it together wrong may cause me to rail my self. :)
As a side note gaussgun wont probably be as strong as railgun. (If same electrisity is used. In same values and so. But it is easyer to make, in some ways.)

It is not that hard to find on the internet .... however, i cant absolutly trust human writen texts.
But it made some sence to me.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/rail-gun1.htm Here is a theoretical idea of it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You are going to build a railgun based on specifications found on the internet?

You are so going to burn your eyeballs out.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If for some reason, an alliance was formed and they attacked out of fear and fear alone, they will have become the "bad guys".
Thats not true ^^

If hitler won WW2 than he would be the god guy. Sure he killed millions of people. But the part of him loosing the war is what made him the "bad guy".

In war there is no good or bad. The winner is always proclaimed the good guy and the looser the bad guy.Its always been like that.

As Churchill said "[SIZE=-1]History is written by the victors" There is nothing left for the losers. But that doesnt mean that the victors are actually good and the losers actually bad.[/SIZE] It just means the ones who won made their way into reality.

As for the whole super weapon thing. Who ever would have it would use it for tyranny. Humans are just greedy enough to think of themselves first and not care about other people when they acquire power. Everyone who gets power becomes corrupt by that power. Always has always will.

Best answers
More or less.
Well railgunn is difficult to make, eaven if i would have the materials, puting them together right can cause a problem.
And puting it together wrong may cause me to rail my self. :)
As a side note gaussgun wont probably be as strong as railgun. (If same electrisity is used. In same values and so. But it is easyer to make, in some ways.)

It is not that hard to find on the internet .... however, i cant absolutly trust human writen texts.
But it made some sence to me.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/rail-gun1.htm Here is a theoretical idea of it.
There's quite a large gap between a theory and a physical entity...

Best answers
Now would you be kind enouch to point out where exactly i sayd "I'll build a railgun."

You dont need to read between the lines, because i dont write there.

As sayd before i dont have the money to do it.
I also dont have the time or the will to do it.
Besides i have no use for it, well it could be fun to blast some specific things in to the void. But i will do it my way. Witch dosnt include a railgun, any gun, or explosives (well i might reconsider abaut explosives, depending on how things turn out).

And one more thing abaut that railgun design, you cant plug it to your wall socket.
You need a constant flow, the wallsocet provides a variable flow. (dont know it thees are the right words,
anyway) from your wallsocket the electrisity switches polarites + to - and back again 50 times ber sek, or something like that.
Railgun needs the kind of constant electrisity like a battery provides.

Best answers
Now would you be kind enouch to point out where exactly i sayd "I'll build a railgun."

You dont need to read between the lines, because i dont write there.

As sayd before i dont have the money to do it.
I also dont have the time or the will to do it.
Besides i have no use for it, well it could be fun to blast some specific things in to the void. But i will do it my way. Witch dosnt include a railgun, any gun, or explosives (well i might reconsider abaut explosives, depending on how things turn out).

And one more thing abaut that railgun design, you cant plug it to your wall socket.
You need a constant flow, the wallsocet provides a variable flow. (dont know it thees are the right words,
anyway) from your wallsocket the electrisity switches polarites + to - and back again 50 times ber sek, or something like that.
Railgun needs the kind of constant electrisity like a battery provides.
Alternating current and Direct current. AC/DC FTW.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What you said was, you know how to build a railgun but you don't have the time, money, materials or the will for it. That's uh.. yeah.. awesome.

Best answers
-Origin so can you, read that link, if you understand it then your halw way there.
Next learn how to make electric magnet (8-th grade workshop class, depending on the scool).

Everyone who gets power becomes corrupt by that power. Always has always will.
Depends on ones definition of corruption, berhaps he/she just opens his/her eyes.
Or was corrupt before and only when has power will it choose to reveal its true nature.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What you said was, you know how to build a railgun but you don't have the time, money, materials or the will for it. That's uh.. yeah.. awesome.
Knowing how to build one is easy. But knowing how to build one doesnt mean one can make it work. You build something after the theory. But to make it work you have to go beyond the theory. Problems with maintaining the current, the magnetic forces that build up when the current enters the rails.

The whole thing becomes one huge electromagnet. Basically the rail gun works like a magnet. Put 2 magnets next to each other facing together with the same field. Thats what the rail gun uses to fire the bullets. Now imagine a constant speed increase from the start of the rails (where the projectile is) till the end of the rails (when the connection for the current stops). Than you get a big enough speed. The speed of course also varys on the materials used and the strength of the current.

So as said. Building one is easy. Making it work is the hard part ^^

Best answers
Werry right.

Most things i have built i have screwd up the first times, usualy.

Actualy building it correctly isnt that easy aswell.
It is expencive, but then again what isnt.

Having right materials, like the teflon plated "barrel" (where the projectile travels).
Dosnt need to be teflon but has to be frictionless as possible.
Cant imagine that i can buy a meter long teflon couted plate at some store.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats not true ^^

If hitler won WW2 than he would be the god guy. Sure he killed millions of people. But the part of him loosing the war is what made him the "bad guy".

In war there is no good or bad. The winner is always proclaimed the good guy and the looser the bad guy.Its always been like that.

As Churchill said "[SIZE=-1]History is written by the victors" There is nothing left for the losers. But that doesnt mean that the victors are actually good and the losers actually bad.[/SIZE] It just means the ones who won made their way into reality.
That's only after the history books are written. As the event unfolds, it would be clear who attacked who first and for what reasons, and that would most definately affect the average joes morale. If an alliance willingly attacked a nation capable of killing their entire civilian population, I highly doubt the average person is going to say, "Yes! Let's beat those guys who have a weapon but haven't used it and made no threat to do so!"

They'd probably try to have those in power removed, for the good of their nation. Then again, I'm sure an event could be manufactured, leading the populace to believe the nation their leaders want to attack struck first. It wouldn't be true, but disinformation combined with emotions have a way of blinding people to the truth.

Whoever wins will be able to either confirm or refute the claim that the nation with the Ultimate Weapon attacked first. In this case, it would probably be refuted since said nation has THE ULTIMATE WEAPON lozl. Even if leaders had no problem with sending people to their demise, warriors would realize the futility of such an attack and would probably go awol.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Knowing how to build one is easy. But knowing how to build one doesnt mean one can make it work. You build something after the theory. But to make it work you have to go beyond the theory. Problems with maintaining the current, the magnetic forces that build up when the current enters the rails.

The whole thing becomes one huge electromagnet. Basically the rail gun works like a magnet. Put 2 magnets next to each other facing together with the same field. Thats what the rail gun uses to fire the bullets. Now imagine a constant speed increase from the start of the rails (where the projectile is) till the end of the rails (when the connection for the current stops). Than you get a big enough speed. The speed of course also varys on the materials used and the strength of the current.

So as said. Building one is easy. Making it work is the hard part ^^
That's exactly my point :p

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think the first time I heard of a railgun was about 8 years ago, my 9th grade Social Studies teacher was telling the class about it one day. He always started class with current events. (ie) stuff in the news somthing he heard on the radio stuff like that.We'd pretty much blow half a class talking about whatever topic came up - he was my favorite teacher :) I guess the day before he heard something about railguns or something reminded him about stuff he knew about them. I cant remember all what he said but two things stood out to me for some reason.

I'll try to remember the details the best I can.

[1] I think it was about some test someone did, he said that the testers fired a 1 inch solid aluminum projectile at I think it was 5 solid concreate walls each was about a foot thick, it blasted through 4 and was stuck halfway in the last. That I believe was a experimental table top version.

[2]He also said that depending on the power of the railgun, it could fire a projectile soo fast it'd turn into plasma. This may have been theoretical though, I dont remember.

anyways

I saw this article atleast a year or so ago pretty much same thing, or maybe the same thing in its earlier stageso_O
http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_RailGuns,,00.html

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, conceptually, railguns are pretty old. What's new is actually putting them to military use; many people have built them, experimented with them, but now they're finally incorporating it.

This is pretty crazy. I had no idea they'd pack enough punch to replace naval guns...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom