question: will destruction of the maps will be available in game ?

YEA
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
;) im pretty sure that that would be in Final. and if you mean u want it to be in some previous versions just like 123 or ECX etc, i think its possible as long as building models are imported

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What destruction? If you're talking about the fires in the background, I think they're just map aesthetics.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They were testing the destruction, but it was never confirmed to make it into the game. I believe they have talked something about partial destruction, like some objects may be destructed? Not sure, somebody with more info should clear this up.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Could you code and design your own .mdls to be destructible? or would that depend on the games coding to allow that to happen?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The old HL entity system still kinda works. MDL models have the same settings.

As for the destruction test. That was not really meant for ingame. It was a university thesis Raven was doing for his school. He even posted the paper a few weeks later for anyone interested in reading it.

Basically Raven wanted to share his school research project with the ESF community because he was using ESF to write the thing up. So its highly unlikely that that will be in the game. The game does have support 1.2.3 style destruction VIA models if the mappers set them up though.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Destruction as in.. its there then its not there? lol could you build parts for each model if that is the case?

Like 1 whole mountain split into 3 sections to give the basic destruction effect.
bottom.mdl
middle.mdl
top.mdl

I think i might have seen a couple of custom made maps do that.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Destruction as in.. its there then its not there? lol could you build parts for each model if that is the case?

Like 1 whole mountain split into 3 sections to give the basic destruction effect.
bottom.mdl
middle.mdl
top.mdl

I think i might have seen a couple of custom made maps do that.
No as in objects. Unless you want things floating because you didnt destroy them in the correct order. Also "Half a mountain just vanished" is not to great of a destruction system XD

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
No as in objects. Unless you want things floating because you didnt destroy them in the correct order. Also "Half a mountain just vanished" is not to great of a destruction system XD
lmao, shit. didnt even think of that lool

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is a system in place that allows for map effects to trigger when an object dissappears. Not sure exactly how it works, but it needs to be set up properly. We had that on the cell games map where you could blow up the ring and then ring tiles were used in the explosion effect.

But thats still pretty much the standard HL idea of "It just vanishes if the blast isnt big enough to mask it"

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
There is a system in place that allows for map effects to trigger when an object dissappears. Not sure exactly how it works, but it needs to be set up properly. We had that on the cell games map where you could blow up the ring and then ring tiles were used in the explosion effect.

But thats still pretty much the standard HL idea of "It just vanishes if the blast isnt big enough to mask it"
REALLY?! would that not just be a custom explosion effect? linked up to a maps coordinates? I was under the impression that breakable mdl's. just had life bars haha

I got very little knowledge of coding grega so i don't blame you for laughing at me....like girls do when i pull down my pants :(

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MDLs do have a health value. But the MDL entity itself was not updated with the maps. While they do work, they probably bug out. We have a different system in place for that. I dont know the details so if Ryo posts in here, he can explain it better. Its something to do with rendering objects in the map using materials or something like that.

Works the same, but it has the ability to have an effect tied to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom