Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube_share;Ws6AAhTw7RA]http://youtu.be/Ws6AAhTw7RA[/video]

Cool stuff.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
This is not "quantum levitation", it is superdiamagnetism, and a result of the Meissner effect. It only happens with superconducting materials.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You can't really keep cars that cold, Deco.

Dudemeister
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
This one was impressive, demonstrates contructing the disc, simultaneous multiple 'discs' and obstacles

[video=youtube;UDdqzi1qPhQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDdqzi1qPhQ[/video]

Last edited:
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Two things:

Why are they calling it "quantum levitation"? Because "Superdiamagnetism" isn't cool enough?

Why do they think this is news? It's been around for as long as superconductors have... which is what, at least 100 years...

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think quantum levitation means to exploit flux pinning with superdiamagnetism. Magnetic levitation is due to superdiamagnetism (which repels a permanent magnet), and flux pinning (which prevents the magnet floating away). Since defects in the structure create different effects under the field (or rather lack of one), then this must apparently create changes in the electron states in those regions, thus giving them the excuse to haphazardly use the word 'quantum' to describe it. I got the impression we were finally figuring out how to actually put some of this knowledge together.

Last edited:
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think quantum levitation means to exploit flux pinning with superdiamagnetism. Magnetic levitation is due to superdiamagnetism (which repels a permanent magnet), and flux pinning (which prevents the magnet floating away). Since defects in the structure create different effects under the field (or rather lack of one), then this must apparently create changes in the electron states in those regions, thus giving them the excuse to haphazardly use the word 'quantum' to describe it. I got the impression we were finally figuring out how to actually put some of this knowledge together.
I think you, unlike me, don't study this exact field of science in university. "Quantum levitation" is not a real term as far as I know. I have actually done this in a lab (or something similar). The "general" term for this would be magnetic levitation, and that's as old as magnets themselves. In this case, we are witnessing magnetic levitation as a side-effect of the Meissner-effect, which in turn is superdiamagnetism as a result of superconductivity and the extent the superconductivity permeates the material.

It sounds like a bull**** catchphrase.

However, that being said, it's pretty fun to play around with this kind of thing. But it's still not news.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol nice duplicate vid Praetor :p

I think my science-infused cynical joke went over your head Avenger. I also politely resent the condescending notion that because I do not share your classes that my scientific understanding can be brushed aside by sheer egoism.

However I get the impression that you seem to be missing that this is not the Meissner effect alone, this is 'trapping' the object in a very versatile way. Rather, being a true cynical bastard is just too much fun to see the benefit in putting existing information together into something more useful. But I dont hold that against you, I know its fun XD

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the locking you're referring to is called flux pinning.

Former Forcepit Member :(
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
that diagram of the magnetic field Looks like a warp bubble

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol nice duplicate vid Praetor :p

I think my science-infused cynical joke went over your head Avenger. I also politely resent the condescending notion that because I do not share your classes that my scientific understanding can be brushed aside by sheer egoism.
I think that because this is what I do, I probably know more about it than you do. Especially after the next bit...

However I get the impression that you seem to be missing that this is not the Meissner effect alone, this is 'trapping' the object in a very versatile way. Rather, being a true cynical bastard is just too much fun to see the benefit in putting existing information together into something more useful. But I dont hold that against you, I know its fun XD
No, see, I'm not cynical. I just know that you are wrong, because the Meissner-effect is the reason the illusion of perfect diamagnetism (or superdiamagnetism) occurs, and in turn, this causes a unique form of magnetic levitation which does not solely depend on orbital spin, but also on screening currents caused by said perfect diamagnetism.

I'm just saying these people are full of **** when they call it "quantum levitation". They used the word "quantum" because most people associate it with something shiny and modern. In fact, this effect has been shown for a long, long time.

Best answers
Wow, you're one sore science student.
The goal of this ASTC conference/exhibit is to get the public engaged in science. It seems they succeeded in that, it's a very cool demo. It's a shame that they misnamed the effect, but these things happen in popular science publishing.

NOT IN THE MANGAβ„’
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Hoverboards FTW.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
This isn't publishing as far as I can tell... It's just an exhibit. This phenomenon is definitely cool (superconductors have to be kept below their critical temperature to function) and fun to play around with, but it's a mistake to say it's anything new, or to call it "quantum levitation".

Best answers
I meant publishing, as in putting it on the exhibition's youtube channel. It's new enough for the general public, and its probably not that often that they get to see such superconducting 'installations' in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom