Punk?,Prep?,Jock?

Best answers
Recently I've been hanging out with someone from the great big land to the west called America. Now since Ireland isn't that disconnected from the rest of the world, I know what most of the slang means.
Sometimes however I hear them use the words Punk, Prep and Jock to describe people.
Everytime I ask them to tell me what the words mean but they won't tell me. So WTF do they mean?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
prep = popular, perfect, nice cloths:d
punk= some who is differant, and usually acts up and is called a jerk or a punk, and sometimes these so called "punks" listen to hard rock or heavy metal:D
jock = pretty much a popular guy normally plays sports and is really good at it, and usually good looking:d
<p>if anyone disagrees your propally not from the us:D
<p>*edit:
<p>and preps are also usally hot cause preps are mostly made up of girls. and prepy guys are just popular with the girls and the guys dispise them.
<p>i truly dont agree with the prep,punk,jock stereo typing but thats what it comes down to and if your not any of these you are conciderd an outcast[or one of those peeps you never hear about].

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
jock = athleticly obsessed
punk = jerk or 'punk' music fanatic
prep = preppie = snobbish
*edit*
neoboy beat me >_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
jock = athleticly obsessed
punk = jerk or 'punk' music fanatic
prep = preppie = snobbish
*edit*
neoboy beat me >_O
<p>hehe :D

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you could sum it up with musicical tastes as well,

jock= the latest rap/metal song on mtv
punk= rancid or one of any other 900 bands that sound exactly the same
prep= the latest pop song on mtv

Best answers
rancid or one of any other 900 bands that sound exactly the same
Exactly Nuttzy, My friend alawys listens to punk. I was like they all sound the same. He said no they don't they sound very different. I was liek no first its soft then gets hard then singing inssert some yelling more yelling then more singing then soft at the end again. All the singers sound almost the same to.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats not true. linkin park is heavy metal. they do many various vocal effects. bands like blink 182 and match box 20 they sound the same. but not all of the punk rockers sound the same. simple plan is differant, the lead singer sounds like a normal punk singer but there music is differant. there are many differances in punk bands. do some research.:D

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They are basically ways of generalzing people into stereotypical groups based on the way they dress/act. They are not always accurate. I may dress like a prep one day... Khakis with a nice sweater. And the next day like a skater, Baggy jeans, throw on my etnies(shoes), west beach shirt (snowboard company), and a puffy down filled vest. There I go generalzing myself, I hate being generalized. >_<

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Prep is short for preparatory, used to describe a person who will be attending one of those elitist schools, or more popularly, one who fits in with the crowd that attends them.

Most of those are used in an insulting mannor, and never intended to point out something good in the people described. Jocks and Preps typically make up the popular kids in school.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most people here are generalizing people based on clothing or music taste, which Optimus pointed out, is inaccurate. Those stereotypes are more accurate when based on the attitude of the actual individual. Most people don't get to know them and instantly label them becuase of their appearance. This is my opinion of the three generalizations
Jocks = arrogant, egotistical, stubborn, popular
Prep = Snobby, Close-minded, popular
Punks = Layed back, semi-popular, social outcasts

Now, I'm not a big fan of stereotypes, or labeling people. However, from experience this is how I beleive most people are classified. Usually very abundant in Highschool, however since being in college, I haven't seen much of it, which makes me pretty darn happy.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel comfortable with the fact that nobody has been able to use a set stereotype to judge me by.

As much as it isn't liked, forming cliques is natural. You hang out with people of similar interest, such as sports, music, and clothing. It's just unfortunate that their paths are pretty much set

Best answers
Phatslugga said:
Most people here are generalizing people based on clothing or music taste, which Optimus pointed out, is inaccurate. Those stereotypes are more accurate when based on the attitude of the actual individual. Most people don't get to know them and instantly label them becuase of their appearance. This is my opinion of the three generalizations
Jocks = arrogant, egotistical, stubborn, popular
Prep = Snobby, Close-minded, popular
Punks = Layed back, semi-popular, social outcasts

Now, I'm not a big fan of stereotypes, or labeling people. However, from experience this is how I beleive most people are classified. Usually very abundant in Highschool, however since being in college, I haven't seen much of it, which makes me pretty darn happy.

You lucky son of a *****! Well i go to a Californian school. So its basically mexicans, some whites, blacks, etc. Most of the mexicans are in the "Thug" category. Hey i dont like labeling ppl but i see to damn much of the same style so...ya im just gonna do it aha man someone shoot me. :laff: Anyway ya punks, "thugs", gangstas, and some average ppls. O and the jocks here are less of an ******* than in TN. which is good but i would like to see everyone themselves rather than doing it for popularity or "posing" Cuz thats what i see more than anything. O i would also like to see more MATURE behavior. Rather than having every joke being about beer, weed, and sex...its really starting to piss me off frankly...Makes me wanna yell and say STFU YOU IMMATURE LITTLE PUNKS! *uses punks as an insult rather categorizing them* :devgrin:

KyoKusanagi

K
Neoboy - "thats not true. linkin park is heavy metal"

Ummm, Linkin Park are Nu Metal not Heavy Metal, theres a big difference. Another example of a Nu Metal band are Evanesence.

As far as me being classified as being part of any group....i'd like to think raver - xcept im not hopped up on the eccies.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
prep = rich, or snobbish, or really people who just act better than everyone else because of their social standings(jocks can be preps)

jock = plays sports, is prone to pick on the outcasts, usually a total moron

punk = punk is more a state of mind. punks can really look like anything. most punks though are usually dressed in a retro 70's type jeans, and converse all stars, or dock martins. usually has colored hair, or a mohawk. lots of spikes, patches, and chains.

sub punk groups
crusties: gutter punks, they basically like looking like they have never seen a washer before

straight edge: these types dont do drugs, drink alcohol, believe in pre marital sex, or eat meat. their symbol is a "X"

wannabes: the type that buy their crap at hottopics and pretend to be something they are not. real punks make their cloths they dont buy them pre made.

Retired
Best answers
didnt know that either, then i'm seriously a prep cuz i'm a snob :eek:

ah well the info aint that usefull tho ;) but still nice to know.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
iwas he guy nobody knew anything about, (regardless going to scool with the same people for at least 10 years) sat in the back corner of the room and never talked, carried a large duffel bag (cuz i was too lazy to go back to my locker),

people thought i was psychotic, which i dunno where they got that from, guess cuz nobody knew anything about me, nor did i make any attempts to let them know about me, though my best friend did practice withcraft, (i kid you not, grade A moron)

and they thought i was suicidal, pettymuch my entire body is covered with scars, each one of my arms have at least 25 scars just on each forearm for example, how they got there i dont know, i guess im just careless

lastly, everyone thought i was depressed all the time,

when columbine happened the clues started to catch peoples attention,

black clothes and trenchcoat,..check
anti social,.. check,
duffel bag, (for storing guns),.. check
similar friends, (and one thats a known homemade bomb builder),..check

one day my friend joked around and said he was going to blow up the school at 2:00, in 2 minutes there were cops in the classroom, and he was on his way out the door, i later found out they searched my locker while they were there, and they hired someone to follow me around the school, (at this point i decided i was going to switch schools or drop out)

all cuz i chose to stay away from the mainstream flow of the school, i hated thier music, i hated thier sports, i hated thier jock wear, i hated talking to people, and i was too lazy to go to my locker,

into which category does the "quiet kid that every knows about, but knows nothing about" fall into, also dont foregt the fact i hate preps, punks, and jocks,

i aint a prep, all my clothes are from wal mart, or garage sales,

aint a jock, closest thing ive done with sports in the last year was a fight with my neighbor in a baseball feild,

far from a punk, i despise that music, and the punks trying to fake a british accent all the time (well theres really only one "punk" around here, i have purposely ran over his skateboard more than once) and think that being in a punk rock band is the only purpose in life,

(some offtopic content in that posts but its to give you information into which category the nuttzor would fall into)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a lot of punk bashing going on here, lol, oh well, and yeah.... im a punk.... if u wanna call me that.... i occasionally i speak in a british accent.... scince im from england :], but yeah not many of us punks around these days..... I bought sum clothes recently of the camden market in london, tarten trousers and a new hoody...... i now own 3 pairs of trousers 3 hoddies and several T shirts, and my denim jacket i cut the arms off 3 years ago and stuck studds and patches on, those are all my clothes i have (apart from underwear) and i'd probably be what people call a gutter punk then :p......... but hey, why do people consider Punks jerks?

"bands like blink 182 and match box 20 they sound the same. but not all of the punk rockers sound the same. simple plan is differant, the lead singer sounds like a normal punk singer but there music is differant" those are pretty crap punk bands man.... i dont like most 3rd wave punk, i prefer 2nd wave but 1st wave is still cool, check out people like the clash, and rammones, bad brains, minor threat, operation Ivy they are much better than blink 189 or Simple Plan... I like rancid, Nofx and a few other 3rd wave bands, other than rancid, non of them compete with the older stuff though, but good for an occasional listen......

Im not experienced with the terms "jock" or "prep" but as far as im conserned they sound the same to me, just different groups that people hang around in, in the end when people grow up, leave school, things like that dont matter anymore.

Best answers
Wow, there sure is alot to this punk thing. I wish we had these cool interesting different groups in Ireland, instead of everyone being the same, i.e. drinking all the time and being super-rural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom