PSP's graphics capped? Pontentialy better then the ps2?

Best answers
An article at Consoul Games includes details from an SCEA presentation at this year's Game Developers Conference, in which Mark DeLoura, SCEA's manager of developer relations, revealed that the PSP is capped by software at 222MHz. This means that the PSPs we are now playing are running below their potential of 333MHz. The article goes on to mention the restriction is only temporary and is necessitated by current battery technology (or the lack thereof).The PS2's Emotion Engine (CPU) runs at 294.912MHz and it's Graphics Synthesizer (GPU) runs at 147.456MHz. The PSP's Emotion Engine (CPU) runs at 333MHz and the Graphics Synthesizer (GPU) runs at 166MHz. So basicly once the bettery technology gets a bit better, the PSP will be looking a lot better then our PS2's.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you dont get a free psp you have to buy extra ****... stupid sig...

psps are cool but are too expensive, and they will probobly consider the new batteries and expansion or some crap so they will be expensive, along with the new games or whatever else comes out.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
think of very big console released in the last few years, the ps2 and xbox were both 300 at launch, the psp itself is about 200 bucks, (wait til the systems itself is being sold outside of value packs) thats not a bad deal, if you couldve afforded one of those then a psp is no thang

you want cheap? go with nintendo, where the prices are low and the standards are lower

i saw this article, or one like it on a link at gamefaqs, it would be neat, but it would rquire a larger battery, and it would look kinda wierd with a lump on the back of your psp for the bigger battery, like those giant celphone batteries,

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Just to inform you, I've edited your signature, although we do allow advertising in the signatures, pyramid schemes (whether or not they are scams) aren't smiled upon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

and I'd have to agree with nuttzy, nintendo has nlower standards, and lowerp rices, I'd get a DS before a PSP, since it's cheaper, although a PSP is pretty badass, I would love more than anything to have one :p

Best answers
i just dont like its crap tastic battery, 2-3hours?.. blech
--
youd want it for like long car trips and or airplanes (2 to 3 hours is pretty crappy), but them LED screens suck up battery life like no other

==
word is, due to thier price right now the psp isnt exactly selling like the console, so maybe a chance by end of the year price will drop.
--im not buying one till its toned down, thats an expensive portable (if had the ability to hook up a system to not use those stupid extra UMD disks, id be all over it (it could be a big clunky sleeve for all i care hanging from a wire. if i could play DVD's and my PS and PS2 games on the thing id buy it in a heartbeat

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
2-3 hours?, research before you preach, so far only one game is capable of draining it that fast, and thats ridge racer at full settings with the wifi switch on, (the wifi battery drain is a *****)

i personally get 6-7 hours on wipeout, which is all good

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just how big is the PSP battery? My mp3 players li-ion battery is about 2 inches long, 1 inch wide and a third of one inch thick, and it runs for a good 18 hours (it was 20 when I got it) and that's supporting full audio and a backlit screen. No offence but 2-3 hours for a portable isn't so great, the GBA: SP has more than that. What takes up the juice?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy, have you tried playing some movies on the psp? since i heard that movies were also battery consuming, but i wonder if it is the truth...btw....can you also put normal batteries in the psp? since i dont see any place for batteries on the back of the psp, only the place for the umd disc X_X

Best answers
PSP's make me regret that i bought a DS. Almost all DS games suck. Most of them are mini-games. I dont want to pay 50$ for a Minigame... Now PSP, it has REAL games...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well the nintendo was the creator of the handheld for quite some time, but now the psp has come, and i think that nintendo didnt think the psp would be so good, compared to the ds, the psp is superior in everyway (more colors, faster, better games etc etc) except battery power....well i hope the psp wont be that expensive here in europe :p im definatly gonna buy me Metal Gear Acid

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But it dosnt have a Touch screen now, does it! D:

in reality, DS has won the fight, simply because people who buy handheld consoles now tend to be of the younger generation, PSP is aimed at the more mature audience simply with its price tag, which is a setback being as most of the handheld market are under 16's wanting there next pokemon abuse session.

PSP IS a better console, but its twice (in some cases three times) as expensive as a DS, todays customers tend to be 6-12 year olds wanting more pokemon, and mummy/daddy dosnt want to shell out silly money on a console that dosnt have that.

fact: PSP is a better, advanced and more mature console.
fact: DS has won the handheld console fight by simply targeting the largest market with cheap, new handhelds and making some crazy profits in comparison to PSP's rather poor launch.

In todays world, Its quantity over quality D:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Metal gear acid is a card battle game, stay away.

PSP = expensive, maybe when i get a job and feel like blowing a monthes pay.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dunno how exactly long UMD movies will last, but playing them off the memory card doesnt require as much power, you could prbabaly watch about 7-8 hours of video before your low battery light started ticking

all i know is with UMD movies you may be able to watch spiderman 2 times fully per charge (that movie is 2 hours long right?), it has to spin a disc and that obviously spends more battery power than reading from the card, but i cant see anyone sitting down and playing a handheld for even 3 hours straight so the batterly doesnt bug me at all

the psp also has a neat lil remote thingy on the headphones so you can control the mp3 player while its in your pocket, i doubt ill ever use it but its neat, (though the same can be said for several of psp's functions)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I played the PSP, and WOW. HIGH QUALITY, acually PERFECT QUALITY!! I watched Spiderman 2 on it.. and BAM ITS DAMN COOL. My friend is a lucky *******!! It's worth the money too man. I am damn amazed how many things it can do. You can put movies, mp3's and ect crap. There's going to be one released with a keyboard and you can go to websites and shait. =0

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and again, and again, and again...

This is NOT a console war. The thread's topic is "PSP's graphics capped? Potentially better than the PS2?"

The thread is NOT "OMG!?!?!?!? Is that DS better than the PSP, or vice-versa?"

I don't personally care if you do not like Nintendo or Sony and want to show up one console with the other. This is not the place to do that. As far as these forums are concerned, each is a different console with a different agenda. If you don't like one, fine. Make a thread about that. If you REALLY like one of them, also fine. Make a thread about that. But keep each discussion pertinent to the topic. This thread asks about the PSP's graphics, and whether or not it is able to surpass the PS2 in that respect. Not once did I see an invitation to start a battle between the DS and the PSP.

Keep it relevant, keep it civil.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
think of very big console released in the last few years, the ps2 and xbox were both 300 at launch, the psp itself is about 200 bucks, (wait til the systems itself is being sold outside of value packs) thats not a bad deal, if you couldve afforded one of those then a psp is no thang

you want cheap? go with nintendo, where the prices are low and the standards are lower

i saw this article, or one like it on a link at gamefaqs, it would be neat, but it would rquire a larger battery, and it would look kinda wierd with a lump on the back of your psp for the bigger battery, like those giant celphone batteries,
Hold up, wait a minute, let me put some pimp in here
Where the prices are low and the standards a lower? PSP value will drop like the xbox's did, PSP has not sold that much tbh, and its battery life is fuuuuuuuuuucccccccked UP. It barely has any games, unlike Nintendo who already had their gameplan, and had over 10 games on the release of DS. PSP has what.....no really someone tell me cuz i dont know o_o

Also DJ^Swift, i love the way you dont actually talk about the games for the PSP and how you talk about the only thing PSP is good for.

AND WTF IS A MATURE CONSOLE?!?! Thats a new one...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, so after Majin You posted that it isn't a comparison, you go and compare them =\

A couple of questions:

1) Why is the battery life so low, and can you disable the backlight like the GBASP can?
2) Why is the graphic speed related to the (lack of) battery power?
3) Does this mean the PSP is overclockable or moddable? Could you add a battery pack to unlock the graphical potential?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin You said he would continue to say it again and again and again..... so i figured i should let him continue doing his job

P.S ROFL what graphic potential? you make its sound like a ****ing GeForce 6800 Non ultra

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the PSP is capped by software at 222MHz. This means that the PSPs we are now playing are running below their potential of 333MHz. The article goes on to mention the restriction is only temporary and is necessitated by current battery technology (or the lack thereof)
Well maybe it's not graphical potential, but it's hardware potential that could include graphics.

(woot L337 postcount, i'll never post again :O)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom