PS3 delayed in Europe

Best answers
I see Sony continues its trend of feeding the haters. Their digging itself into an rather, very uncomfortable situation, but they'll probably be alright. This is good news for me though. I'll surely be starting my first sellers account on Ebay soon; I should be able to make enough of money off of one Playstation 3 alone, to get all three next-generation gaming consoles.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
That being said, the 360 has good hardware, avoided the HD content debacle which was nothing more than a forced upgrade scheme desined to impair fair use, and has the head start. Problem is, it has crap games, and when was the last time that the first out of the gate won the war? It never happened.
Didn't the PS2 get released first and "win" the war? I mean, they sold most consoles and most games.

But yeah, kinda stupid of Sony to only have 500,000 available PS3's. I thought the PS3 is ready already, and that they could make a million a month, so they should've made more than enough by now.

Best answers
Sicron said:
Didn't the PS2 get released first and "win" the war? I mean, they sold most consoles and most games.
No, the Sega Dreamcast was released first, and died before the other war participants could even get there. Sega basically failed to hold them off, which gave them an 1 year advantage; turns out that was all that was needed to completely dominate the Xbox and Gamecube. But of course, the Xbox was never a threat to begin with, in my opinion.

Best answers
I think they are only making a few PS3's just to see if they sell. And depending on the popularity of them, they decide if they need to make more of them.
They just want to prevent disaster like, if they made 5,000,000 PS3 and only 200,000 of them are sold, they would be pretty soon in bankrupt with storagehouses full of PS3's.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To me it seems like they did this on purpose. Firstly, its quite obvious they've based their release sale figures on population rather than anything else, both numbers are 100% garentee'd to be sold, with the profits from that, they're most likely going to pour into mass manufacturing. This may delay some people from getting their hands on the console when they want to, but it also means more exposure, and new games become a new motivation to purchase when more of the console become available.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you guys kidding me? How can you spin a product delay into a good thing? The bottom line is that there will be less consoles out for Christmas [Actaully, NO consoles out for Christmas in Europe] and their market share this generation will reflect that. They didn't do it on purpose, it won't make people want it more (Remember, this thing was already delayed once + everyone already wants the damn thing now...), the only thing its going to do is hurt Sony. Damn.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
How many toes does Sony even have left? Jesus christ!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-Because God knows they've got lots of ammo left.

They've been testing our patience for too long, IMO.

My brother's been wanting the PS3 ever since it was announced, and he was originally planning on getting it on launch day.. but not anymore. Even he's starting to lose interest in the machine.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
Are you guys kidding me? How can you spin a product delay into a good thing? The bottom line is that there will be less consoles out for Christmas [Actaully, NO consoles out for Christmas in Europe] and their market share this generation will reflect that. They didn't do it on purpose, it won't make people want it more (Remember, this thing was already delayed once + everyone already wants the damn thing now...), the only thing its going to do is hurt Sony. Damn.
Its called being clever, if you let something slip out in small numbers, which garentee to give you a nice boost in profits (over manufacturing or rushing is much less cost effective in the long run), it means your then able to bring out more of the same product after and also anaylise the rates of sales with the first batch, which will have been hyped by people lucky enough to have one (where the "he has one, i want one" factor comes into play) not to mention more impressive and better developed games would be comming out to ensnare more customers. I actually live in europe, and well most the people I know, say they dont give a **** about when it comes out, they want one, they'd rather not stoop to the 360, they may be pretty tempted in the wii but still find it dubious, the main focus of gaming consoles is the ps3. At least where i live, the general consensus is that ps3 is a safe bet, where as the other options are... dubious.

People who cant wait a few months for something really lack patience imo, anybody who really has a firm conviction in which console they will prefer wont dither from one to the other, except for the rich people with more money than sense.

Best answers
Im kinda jealous to be honest, I would love nothing more, then to have it released here in March. Realistically, though, launches matter much less in the lifespan of a console than a lot of other factors. In reality, the only people who think that a console's launch demonstrates how well the platform will do 1, 2, 3, or more years down the line, seem to be people like us at times, it seems; 3-4 years down the line, how well a launch is for a system becomes near-irrelevent, more or less.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:

But yeah, kinda stupid of Sony to only have 500,000 available PS3's. I thought the PS3 is ready already, and that they could make a million a month, so they should've made more than enough by now.
Ha, see you didn't even remember the first one out in that gen's war. I rest my case.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dave, I respect your opinion and see your point, but I don't agree at all.

Davidskiwan said:
Its called being clever, if you let something slip out in small numbers, which garentee to give you a nice boost in profits (over manufacturing or rushing is much less cost effective in the long run), it means your then able to bring out more of the same product after and also anaylise the rates of sales with the first batch, which will have been hyped by people lucky enough to have one (where the "he has one, i want one" factor comes into play)
It's a nice idea, but I think at this point everyone and their Grandma wants one. I mean, it was already delayed before, to do it again seems foolish. By not releasing it in Europe, Sony is doing two things - Pissing off their fanbase, the consumer (never a good idea) and letting the xbox 360 and Wii own Christmas.

People only have a certain amount of money to spend on video games. If someones kid wants a video game console for Christmas and the PS3 isn't out, the parent will get them a 360 or Wii. Afer that point, I doubt they'd be willing to shell out another 600 dollars for the PS3. Trust me when I say the marketshare will reflect that the xbox 360 has been available for two Christmases now and the PS3 hasn't.. At least in Europe.

Davidskiwan said:
not to mention more impressive and better developed games would be comming out to ensnare more customers.
Xbox 360 games should actually be more polished. Think about it, Developers have had the final devkits for a year now and second generation 360 games are coming out.

Davidskiwan said:
I actually live in europe, and well most the people I know, say they dont give a **** about when it comes out, they want one, they'd rather not stoop to the 360, they may be pretty tempted in the wii but still find it dubious, the main focus of gaming consoles is the ps3. At least where i live, the general consensus is that ps3 is a safe bet, where as the other options are... dubious.
I'm glad you're happy / neutral about it being delayed, but I doubt most other people feel the same as you. The main consensus I've been getting from people is that their much more interested in a 360 and Wii, but this is just from talking to my friends and reading forums.

Davidskiwan said:
People who cant wait a few months for something really lack patience imo, anybody who really has a firm conviction in which console they will prefer wont dither from one to the other, except for the rich people with more money than sense.
A few months? It was delayed 8, that's almost a year man. There's no way you can tell me they're doing this on purpose... They messed up. Maybe if they released 100,000 in Europe I might believe your theory, but honestly, there's no sane reason to delay it for 8 months in Europe.

One last thing, Sony's stock fell as a result of this news. If what you said was true (it being good for Sony), surely the stock would have risen?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
LOL, he got you there Alea.

I'm not at all suprised that they are delaying in Europe and short manufactured in other areas. This is old hat for consoles, and no one should be suprised.

I see PS3 as a strong contender, even though I feel that it's a bloated piece of hypeware. It has some critical flaws in it's architecture, but it seems that it will go on name alone for some time even if it is flawed. The Wii is another piece of hypware, and until it's proven to be what it promises, no one can garauntee it's the winner. Weak hardware has won the race before though, as the PS2 was the weakest console of the three systems last time. 24MB of texture mem? Yikes.

That being said, the 360 has good hardware, avoided the HD content debacle which was nothing more than a forced upgrade scheme desined to impair fair use, and has the head start. Problem is, it has crap games, and when was the last time that the first out of the gate won the war? It never happened.
it has some descent games out...

more will be out... before the ps3 and wii even get released so the 360 still wins

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
it has some descent games out...

more will be out... before the ps3 and wii even get released so the 360 still wins
History has shown that the first out the door doesn't necessarily have much of an advantage. Besides the people who (apparently) had money to blow on a system with less games worth owning than fingers on one hand--most hardcore gamers, at least the many, many I know, have not been a part of that group.

The XB360 isn't even a serious contender in the console war--what is it's strong point? It doesn't have the best games, doesn't have the best graphics, doesn't really have anything except a year headstart with next to no games worth having, to take advantage of said "year headstart."

If anything, it's going to boil down to a war between Sony and Nintendo, and I believe, like it has in the past, each console will have it's strengths and weaknesses when it comes to games. When it comes to highly polished, replayable and fun (albeit simple) games, you'll have the Wii, and when it comes to a multitude of more serious/dramatic, violent and controversial games, you'll have the PS3.

Will the PS3 delay affect this? I don't think so. Have we seen developers diving off the PS3 bandwagon in droves in favor of the XB360? No, we haven't. Because people know the last two Sony consoles have -dominated- the gaming industry, and counting Sony out because of launch problems that won't even be remembered in a few years is a shortsighted attempt to mindlessly bash a company you may resent for any number of reasons, illegitimate though they may be.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:
Why buy a console you can't do anything with? To decorate your room?
People will buy it to play DVD's and everything else it's designed to do. When the games come out, they'll play it.

And no company releases a console, and doens't release games.

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
History has shown that the first out the door doesn't necessarily have much of an advantage. Besides the people who (apparently) had money to blow on a system with less games worth owning than fingers on one hand--most hardcore gamers, at least the many, many I know, have not been a part of that group.

The XB360 isn't even a serious contender in the console war--what is it's strong point? It doesn't have the best games, doesn't have the best graphics, doesn't really have anything except a year headstart with next to no games worth having, to take advantage of said "year headstart."

If anything, it's going to boil down to a war between Sony and Nintendo, and I believe, like it has in the past, each console will have it's strengths and weaknesses when it comes to games. When it comes to highly polished, replayable and fun (albeit simple) games, you'll have the Wii, and when it comes to a multitude of more serious/dramatic, violent and controversial games, you'll have the PS3.

Will the PS3 delay affect this? I don't think so. Have we seen developers diving off the PS3 bandwagon in droves in favor of the XB360? No, we haven't. Because people know the last two Sony consoles have -dominated- the gaming industry, and counting Sony out because of launch problems that won't even be remembered in a few years is a shortsighted attempt to mindlessly bash a company you may resent for any number of reasons, illegitimate though they may be.
I agree wholeheardtly with everything said. Especially in reference to the Xbox 360.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
can you explain why the xbox 360 games are all so terrible? have you played them?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It isn't that they're terrible, they're just not ever going to have the depth of a Metal Gear game or the loyal following of a Mario game, is all. They also have surprisingly few of them...it's been out a while now, there should be more, don't you think? Some great stuff is in the pipe, don't get me wrong, but let's face it: You get the Xbox you're going to have Halo II, Maybe two other games of your choice/genre preference, and then the sports games. You have to admit that it is limiting, somewhat.

Also it should be noted that if Sony is not going to be able to put it out because of production issues it probably isn't actually their fault; it may be the fault of their hardware suppliers, etc.

As for the stock rising, what do you think is going to happen when every last one of those first bunch of PS3s sells out in under a week? Hello Money.

Lastly I would just like to point out that the PS2 was delayed many times and still did fine (better than fine, it utterly crushed three opposing machines in the grand scheme of things). People who want the thing are only going to want it more if it's later; nobody I have ever seen has gone "Wow, it's delayed? Well I'm not going to get it at all then!" That's just illogical. It's like sitting around for two hours smelling some great food cooking, and right when your girlfriend takes it out of the oven, she goes "Oh it needs another 15 minutes" and you go "What? Hell, **** it I'm not hungry anymore."

Sony is a smart company with lots of departments, products, and marketing strategies. They are not "making fatal mistakes"; they are running damage control, that's all. If anything the PS3 is going to BOOM business for them like never before. After five years it's longevity will have paid off in the long run, just like the last two. You know what they say--if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
As for the stock rising, what do you think is going to happen when every last one of those first bunch of PS3s sells out in under a week? Hello Money.
They're actually going to lose a lot of money on the launch. They lose money with every console sold so they're going to lose millions. They'll make it back eventually, but if their taking a hit in the millions for the long run, I don't know, I don't know how investors would feel about it.

But yeah, I don't really care whose fault it is or if the PS2 had a launch like this and was still successful. The bottom line is it's bad for the console in the short term and cannot be considered good for the console in the long run by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the 360 having bad games, I disagree. The 360 has some really great games, it's just that there's not enough of them. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

Truth be told, I just want the PS3 to be successful since I'll eventually buy one. It's just a let down getting bad news after bad news, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom