Processor thermal trip

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hi guys.

In the beginning of the year I bought myself a new computer, well each part seperately and my computer was working quite fine. I had a few problems though, I haven't built a pc in years so it is possible that I didn't do it 100% correctly.

Everytime I disconnect the power from my computer and I plug it back in if I start my computer it stays on for 5 seconds then just shuts down. Only after the 2nd attempt does it work. Another thing is that I get the blue screen of death every once and a while...so something is telling me that I must've done something wrong when I built the pc. All those issues didn't bother me too heavily, but today I connected my pc at my res. room and started it up.

It ran until it got to the desktop then after about 20 seconds it just shut down by itself. When I tried starting it up again I got a beeping sound from the motherboard. Every few tries my computer manages to stay on, but only until the windows loading screen. The last time I tried it took me to a screen that said "processor thermal trip" then it shut down once again.

I don't know what could be wrong, I doubt my cpu has overheated, it's been working fine all year with normal temperatures, I have the Q8400 intel quad core processor, apparently it came with thermal past so I didn't have to apply any myself well that's what the people told me...did I do something wrong?

Oh another thing I bumped the system unit quite hard a few hours ago, well my room mate accidentally kicked it, is it possible that pins from the CPU came loose, could that also cause this problem? Sorry for the long message hope someone can help me. :O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whenever I shut my system down, peripheral devices refuse to power on the first couple times I start it back up. There's a miracle called sleep mode that solved this problem for me. I almost never shut my system down any more. You only have a serious problem when your system refuses to start up at all.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Beeping sound on boot is generally a bad thing. Usually it means that's something is loose, or not receiving power. The first thing I'd do is open up and make sure that everything is plugged in properly, this is not limited to power cords from the PSU, but also check CPU, RAM, any PCI-E cards and connectors from MB to your drives. Last time I had beeps, it was one of my RAM sockets had stopped working, just simply had to try a different slot.

Anyway since it's failing at BIOS it's hopefully a simple problem that you can fix by making sure it's all plugged in.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks i'll look into it. I'm taking it to a PC shop then I'll check what they do. I'd try myself, but I can't open my box I don't have a screwdriver or anything that can open it lol it sucks being in res. never have the tools you would at home... Thank you for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom