problem with HLDS ip

Best answers
Hey guys,
im having a big problem with my HLDS server. when i start it, it uses my local ip (192.168.1) therefor no one can play on it....please help if u can. i appreciate it, musicrevolt

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you on a router? If so there is your problem >.< There is a thread somewhere on how to fix that...

But I've never had that problem, my router worked fine with games and servers.

If you don't have a router. I suggest re-installing.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's obvious that he has a router.

Tell me which router you're using (D-link, Linksys, etc.).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How is it ovious? I have a router on my other computer. People can enter my server at will. Just because no one can join his server, doesn't mean he has a router. And how does what kind of router he has depend on if people can join or not (if he indeed has a router)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Router IPs start with 192.168.1.X so yes, it's very obvious. And if people can join your server when you're using a router, that means you opened the ports. More than likely, he hasn't opened the ports, which is why I need to know what brand of router he's using, so that I can walk him through fixing it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My IP starts with that... I don't have a router. My other computer has a router. But this one doesn't. This computers ip address is 192.168.1.100 my other computers is 192.168.1.101 (or 102)

And no i opened no ports, i haven't touched the router. I just dled the dedicated servers seeing as that computer already had hl and everything else. And put the server up. I don't know how to open and close ports.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
My IP starts with that... I don't have a router. My other computer has a router. But this one doesn't. This computers ip address is 192.168.1.100 my other computers is 192.168.1.101 (or 102)

And no i opened no ports, i haven't touched the router. I just dled the dedicated servers seeing as that computer already had hl and everything else. And put the server up. I don't know how to open and close ports.
Ok, first off. Why would you buy a router if you aren't going to route computers? Did you just buy it to make your computer look more technological?

If your computer (Not the one with the router) is on your home network, it automatically assigns you a router IP. And, are you hosting your server from the computer with the router? If so, nobody would be able to join unless you open the ports. And your computer IP cannot be 192.168.1.X unless your computer is on a network. So, ok, I believe that you don't have a router on your computer, but you are on a network, otherwise your IP cannot be that of a router's IP.

And apparently, MusicRevlot2rd doesn't know how to open/close ports either, which is why I'm trying to help him.

Now stop arguing with me, as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://img1.uploadimages.net/620137IP_address.JPG

Um.. And unless this little dinky modem that says "Moterola" on it is a router (which it's not it's a cable modem) Then i win. I WAS OFF 2 DIGITS LEAVE ME ALONE!

I guess you're right. Seeing as this has been my IP address since i got this computer. And i didn't have the internet on this computer for a month that i've had it -.-

Well I'm done. Both threads we have been arguing in are flame threads. I'm done. If you want to argue further you can PM me, Until then So long.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Fire Phoenix, go take a networking class and you'll see why you're very wrong. :p

192.168.0.101 is the IP address assigned to your computer by your ROUTER.

That isn't your real IP address. So no, you lose. <:E

Here's how to get to your router config:
http://www.hl2world.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=389&view=previous

Here's the ports to forward:
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=160&p_created=1093381261&p_sid=YfN7baqh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yNDQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I told you *sigh* the comeputer I USE does not have a router -.- It's my mothers computer that has a router. And if you see the picture, that shows my ip address is the one stated before.

Am i wrong prolly. But that doesn't change the fact that that's my ip address and this computer doesn't have a router. Unless adding a router to my moms computer changes this one.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
I told you *sigh* the comeputer I USE does not have a router -.- It's my mothers computer that has a router. And if you see the picture, that shows my ip address is the one stated before.

Am i wrong prolly. But that doesn't change the fact that that's my ip address and this computer doesn't have a router. Unless adding a router to my moms computer changes this one.
You're in Rhode Island, you're on Cox Cable, your IP begins with 68., end of story (just like everyone else on Cox cable in this country, except me and a few select others).

If you're computer is connected through your mom's computer, you'll have a router assigned IP address. :p

As for the problem at hand:

MusicRevlot2rd: Go to http://192.168.1.1 and enter your password (default is blank username, and "admin" for pass). Then click "applications and gaming" and forward all the ports specified in the guide I posted above.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
If a blank username and the password "admin" won't let you in, you (or someone else) have probably changed it before.

If you have no clue what it is, hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds to reset it back to factory settings (and reset the password back to admin as well).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No problem. PM me anytime, and I'm sure Kurt wouldn't mind helping you in the future :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom