[Old PotW] PoTW: Normal & Super Saiyan 2 Gohan Renders

DeN

Best answers
Well... the only reason i didn't make the lines a saturated colour (usually i'd agree that's what to go for) is because the celshading lines around the hair strands would still make the hair shapes stand out too much like big chunks. Making them a colour drop of the outline (which doesn't look pure black) will make it look more coherent to an observers eye

As far as the effort... well it should be pretty mininal, you could set up the UV maps (seperated via smoothing groups, pelt mapping, whatever) do that and bake off an ambient occlusion pass to help generate your shading (to match up the shading across the hair) in about 20 minutes tops. He may not use max, but i bet someone could do it fairly effortlessly for him... it'd definately make the final result better ;)

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Ned saves the day!

Honestly, the skin looks pretty hot the way it is, but Ned's edit looks pretty damn good too. Whatever you decide, Doormat, I'll be happy with cause both options are sexy ♥

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well... the only reason i didn't make the lines a saturated colour (usually i'd agree that's what to go for) is because the celshading lines around the hair strands would still make the hair shapes stand out too much like big chunks. Making them a colour drop of the outline (which doesn't look pure black) will make it look more coherent to an observers eye

As far as the effort... well it should be pretty mininal, you could set up the UV maps (seperated via smoothing groups, pelt mapping, whatever) do that and bake off an ambient occlusion pass to help generate your shading (to match up the shading across the hair) in about 20 minutes tops. He may not use max, but i bet someone could do it fairly effortlessly for him... it'd definately make the final result better ;)

Well seeming as we have multiple shaders I still think dark/saturated colour would be better to go for since it's more universal, and more in keeping with other models style, but I know what you mean.

I've tried all the above methods on my ssj goku and it's still a ***** to avoid deformation on the hair texture. I did an ambient occlusion bake too, and it worked, but it looked inconsistant since shadows were too easily created in some places, and in the end it looked patchy. In the end I did a light bake and an occlusion bake, used them at very low opacity and then used body paint to fix up any area's that looked odd. But still, I found it immensely annoying, though, my ssj gokus hair I made about 5 years ago and the uv maps were a pretty lazy pelt job, but oh wells.

Best answers
I think part of the reason the hair is coming in for criticism is because of the way it's textured. Each hair strand is virtually textured as flat colour (i can see there are some lines in there, but they are WAY to subtle).

The overall effect is that the eye sees the overall silouhette of each hair strand, and they look more voluminous than they actually are.

If you go back in and rework the texture, to add some lines and shading, that should help break up the form a bit (as far as the eye is concerned) and would probably solve most complaints..

I've done an example here to illustrate, obviously it's not perfect (more hair strands / polys would be perfect), but i think it'll do the job for what you've got.

Also if the POTW is the ingame target render style, i would make the lines in the hair the same (or close) colour as the one for your model outline, as it will help all the different shapes into a more coherent whole..

Hope that helps! :D
now that looks much better in my opinion. you added the details that i wanted, and it looks great. as for the spikes skiwan explained it pretty good.

Best answers
excellent model looks great.......my only thing is can you make his wrist bands and belt the same color?????

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, I agree with him. Weren't they red instead of blue? I never read the manga so I dunno about the color schemes. :S

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the anime his belt and wristbands were blue. In the mange his belt was red and his wristbands blue. Thats the scheme used in ESF.

Best answers
^^^^never realized that.....learn somethin new everyday!!!!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't his hair supposed to be more 'spiked' in ssj2

---------- Double Post below was added at - 10:53 AM has been merged with this post created - 10:51 AM at ----------

Like this:
SSJ

SSJ2:

---------- Double Post below was added at - 10:54 AM has been merged with this post created - 10:53 AM at ----------

Like the ssj hair is supposed to be 'less' spiked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom