Playstation Home: Best thing to ever happen to the gaming community?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
More like worst thing. That sounds so boring. It's like, hey, let's create a game where you live exactly your own life!

it sounds boring and like a dust collector :|

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm afraid I agree with Kain. If anything pushes me in the direction of getting a PS3, I don't think it's going to be Home; while it's a novel idea to create software that lets you do all sorts of mundane social activities, I think there's a certain amount of social territory that simply needs to remain, well... "real".

If I want to see a movie, for instance, I will likely go and hit up the theatre with my friends - the actual theatre, not a digital recreation thereof (that's putting aside, of course, the fact that none of my friends have PS3's). Similarly, there's only so much, in my opinion, that people are going to want to throw away on their residence in "Home"; for the odd few minutes that you might spend with a friend there before jumping into an actual game, I'm not sure it'd be worth it (as I assume that PSN will be charging for the furnishings, appliances, properties, and probably even the clothing).

Don't get me wrong, I do think that, as a novel idea, it should get some attention from the consumers (ie: I'm not trying to suggest that it's pointless to produce and release "Home"), but I couldn't, honestly, see myself using my PS3 to live out the more mundane aspects of my social life. I'd sooner just use it (or some other utility; say, a phone) to call up my buddies, meet in a game, and play that way, as opposed to calling them up, saying "Hey, let's meet at _______'s place in Home, then head into Battlefield: BC from there".

I know I'm going to get a lot of potshots for saying this, but it really just looks like the social and building feautes of The Sims being crossed with the direct-control approach and inclusion of arcade games that Animal Crossing had - obviously shinier, and including things such as newly-released movies. Nevertheless, not something that I think would be a "must-have". Certainly not the absolute best thing to happen to the gaming community, though.

Last edited:
Best answers
Personally I find home to be interesting. I originally think that sony was pushing it to be a youtube/myspace type of community but I could be wrong. I'm mainly interested in building a trophy collection. Although they are pretty useless, it gives you goals to get in a game that you otherwise would not have thus extending replayability.;)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I can walk in to a Warhawk building, with a bunch of other players, and play a game of Warhawk, it'd be easier for people to add friends. Play a game of Warhawk, exit, chat with the player who I had a fun time with.

I don't see it as a ground breaking experience, but it looks fun. If your tired, the weather's not nice, or you just want to play with random people, playing a couple of games/mini games with the fun of it looks enjoyable.

I definitely do not see it as trying to mimic real life, like Second-Life or the Sims. Just personified version of a forum.

Oh I can't wait to meet a voluptuous girl who is actually a guy =D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks like an attempt to make more people obese and dislocate them from the real world and knowing the value of real friends.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's a cool concept, and i can't wait to hang out with opti.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm afraid I agree with Kain. If anything pushes me in the direction of getting a PS3, I don't think it's going to be Home; while it's a novel idea to create software that lets you do all sorts of mundane social activities, I think there's a certain amount of social territory that simply needs to remain, well... "real".

If I want to see a movie, for instance, I will likely go and hit up the theatre with my friends - the actual theatre, not a digital recreation thereof (that's putting aside, of course, the fact that none of my friends have PS3's). Similarly, there's only so much, in my opinion, that people are going to want to throw away on their residence in "Home"; for the odd few minutes that you might spend with a friend there before jumping into an actual game, I'm not sure it'd be worth it (as I assume that PSN will be charging for the furnishings, appliances, properties, and probably even the clothing).

Don't get me wrong, I do think that, as a novel idea, it should get some attention from the consumers (ie: I'm not trying to suggest that it's pointless to produce and release "Home"), but I couldn't, honestly, see myself using my PS3 to live out the more mundane aspects of my social life. I'd sooner just use it (or some other utility; say, a phone) to call up my buddies, meet in a game, and play that way, as opposed to calling them up, saying "Hey, let's meet at _______'s place in Home, then head into Battlefield: BC from there".

I know I'm going to get a lot of potshots for saying this, but it really just looks like the social and building feautes of The Sims being crossed with the direct-control approach and inclusion of arcade games that Animal Crossing had - obviously shinier, and including things such as newly-released movies. Nevertheless, not something that I think would be a "must-have". Certainly not the absolute best thing to happen to the gaming community, though.
I would never use it as a way to 'replace' my social life. But as said in that article. You can go to the warhawk room for example, and plan your battle before actually playing the game. Also, if none of your friends are online, you might go to your favorite game's room, meet up with some new people and play with them. A new way to make friends online.

G
Habbo Hotel all over again!?
I don't think it'll be bad.. Just not anything worth getting excited over.
And the "Best thing to ever happen to the gaming community" has to be the Q3 engine.

Best answers
Another great thing about Home is that you can stay connected to people you don't see anymore. I'm going to college and my best friend is going to a different college, so we'll be able to show off and chat like we used to when i lived with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom