PlayStation 3

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Please forgive me for wanting quality games. Please forgive me for sticking to the one console that has consistently wow-ed me with it's games. Please forgive me for not loving Nintendo and everything it does, as you seem to do.

I like how, once again, you're saying the PS3 doesn't have any games with decent storylines. I'll remind you (again) that you have yet to play any of it's games. Hell, you really don't even need to to agree with me. Simply look at Metal Gear Solid 4. Or do you need a wiimote to appreciate a game like that?

It takes more than just gameplay, more than just graphics, more than just innovation and more than just a good storyline to make a great game. It takes a combination of the 4 and then some. For me, Nintendo has yet to accomplish this feat.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wasn't saying that the PS3 doesn't have any games with decent storylines. If you can pick out the line from my post that logically states this fact, then please do so. I said that most PS2/PS3 games are/will be action oriented (I concluded this from what I've seen at E3 so far). Games like MGS4 are rare, you would agree with me on that, I don't doubt. So using it as an example to show the PS3 has 'many' story-driven games is illogical.

Your statement that I love everything Nintendo does is also false. We were discussing the Revolution, which is only one of Nintendo's creations, so by saying that, because I find the Revolution to be interesting, I must also think Nintendo can do no wrong, is an illogical conclusion on your part.

I believe the PS3 is capable of great things. Its new controller has many more options for interesting gameplay than the old one, and the PS3's processing power can make immersive worlds and powerful AI a reality. So I am in no way implying that the PS3 is a piece of ****, which is what you seem to think I'm doing.

Obviously, there is no accounting for taste, but I think that perhaps you don't even try to see the good things Nintendo's doing. You're afraid of being labelled a fanboy, afraid of change, and afraid of being seen as inconsistent in your actions. I believe you're afraid to admit that Nintendo games might actually be fun. You see, it's a vicious circle I've seen many times before - you start off not liking Nintendo, which in turn causes you to not pay attention to what they make or do, meaning you don't play their games, which in turn means you develop no interest in them, and causes you to stick with what you already know and like. Then the circle begins anew.

I'm not saying you have to like Nintendo. I'm not telling you to turn into a fanboy. I'm just trying to make you open your heart to new things, to really try and see how things can be different. If you end up enjoying Nintendo again, that's up to you.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Honestly, do most PS2/3 games have a decent story, if one at all? I think not. Comparatively, I'd say the PS2/3 have more action-oriented games in which the storyline isn't a priority.
Exhibit A. You may have intended to say that most of the games that will eventually come out aren't story driven, but that isn't what you said. Furthermore, since we've only seen gameplay vids, you have no idea if any of the games shown at E3 have strong stories.

I said you seem to love everything Nintendo does. The word "seem" does not apply a certainty, but a possibility.

Where did I say you said the PS3 is a piece of ****? If you can pick out the line from my post that logically states this fact, then please do so.

I look for the pros and cons of games. I don't care who made the game. I'm a pc fanboy, so saying I dislike Nintendo and it's products just because is ignorant. My first system was the nes, and I actually liked Nintendo when I was much younger. You could even say I loved Nintendo. Then they released sequel after sequel after sequel and I got bored of them. Even the games that weren't produced by the rehash machine didn't appeal to me after a certain point, so I moved on. I found bigger and better games and most of them were on the Playstation. Then the same thing happened, and I went to PC gaming and I'm happy. I don't like playing the same type of game over and over and I don't like playing rehashes of games I've played before.

I don't have to open my heart to appreciate a game. If the game doesn't suck, I'll play it and I'll enjoy it. If it reminds me too much of another game, I'm not going to waste my time. My criteria for choosing games goes for all consoles and my pc.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wheres_warren said:
PC owns the ps3, so it's a useless waste of time and money for most gamers these days, unless you really can't live without the couple of titles worth getting. On the other hand, you can't do on a PC what you'll be able to do on the Wii. Wii for the win.
There have been numerous accessories for the PC which add similar (if not more innovative) functionality to PCs. For instance, the P5 Glove which actually lets you have a virtual hand in a game. Not just spatial movement/positioning, but manipulation. Black & White 1 (and I believe 2) made good use of it, but I haven't tried it personally.

As for the PC--developers can crank a lot more out of crappy hardware like a PS2, than for a PC. Why? Because consoles have identical (or near-identical) capabilities, whereas on the PC they have to generalize the optimizations for different kinds of video cards, processors, etc--there will always be a benefit for having a dedicated gaming machine as opposed to an all-purpose PC.

And if GameCube's history of games is any indication, Wii is for the lose.

Edit:

Ignoring the past bickering, I think the PS3 is going to blow away the competition in terms of games. Why, you ask? It's obvious, if you.. I don't know.. look at what's happened for the past six years.

Almost ALL of the good games are for PS2. GameCube has been lucky enough to get some clones of the PS2's good games. But what quality games does GameCube have?

There's less than a dozen. Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, Smash Bros Melee, WindWaker was okay, but highly derivative, Tales of Symphonia, and.. Well, considering I didn't like Metroid Prime, that's about it.

Like I said, if Gamecube is any indication, Wii's sure looking goo--like crap!

Nintendo simply doesn't have the third-party support that Sony has. That ALONE will ensure Sony's continued domination.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
But what quality games does GameCube have?

There's less than a dozen.
I can name a dozen or more that I enjoyed. They weren't all exclusives, but neither are several of the PS2 games I enjoyed. The term "Quality Games" as mentioned above is opinion-driven, not fact. As you said, you didn't like Metroid Prime (and, assumedly, Metroid Prime 2), and, unless I'm being mislead by your statement, it is not a "quality game", despite the fact that, for some time, Metroid Prime was one of the highest-rated console shooters around. On the flip-sise of the coin, games like "Socom" also did quite well, but I, personally, hated Socom. I certainly wouldn't call it a quality PS2 game, but that's my opinion. The same goes for MGS3, for me - I got, maybe, 10 minutes in before I had to stop playing out of complete boredom. Too much repetition from the last 2 games for me - however, people will remind me that it was one of the better-selling games for the PS2, and that they enjoyed the game thoroughly. PREFERENCE is the key word.

As I've stated dozens of times in the past, one's opinion of a quality game is completely subjective. I, like Zeonix, will take a deep story over anything else. My love of LoK is a good example of that - the gameplay is decent, but it's repetitive and isn't ground-breaking, either. However, the story, starting in Blood Omen and ending in Defiance, was, without a doubt in my mind, one of the best sagas ever to hit console gaming, ever.

Having said that opinion (ie: preference) is the driving force here, I'm going to remind everyone that an opinion isn't up for debate. You guys don't need to take it upon yourselves to back up your opinion. Preference is preference - it needs no explanation.

...particularly since this is a thread about the PS3, not the Wii. Stick with the topic, folks.

......God, I hope they resurrect LoK for the PS3 :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
......God, I hope they resurrect LoK for the PS3 :(
word O/

and for those who say "high definition isnt all that impressive" you havent stood in front of an HD tv.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o: I'll admit that HD looks incredibly slick, but I don't really think it's worth the current prices they ask for HD TVs these days.

Best answers
Ignoring the past bickering, I think the PS3 is going to blow away the competition in terms of games. Why, you ask? It's obvious, if you.. I don't know.. look at what's happened for the past six years.

Almost ALL of the good games are for PS2. GameCube has been lucky enough to get some clones of the PS2's good games. But what quality games does GameCube have?

There's less than a dozen. Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, Smash Bros Melee, WindWaker was okay, but highly derivative, Tales of Symphonia, and.. Well, considering I didn't like Metroid Prime, that's about it.

Like I said, if Gamecube is any indication, Wii's sure looking goo--like crap!

Nintendo simply doesn't have the third-party support that Sony has. That ALONE will ensure Sony's continued domination.
This is actually a first, but i disagree with you on this one. This is just my opinion, but the only reason Sony had as much third-party with the PS2 as Microsoft and Nintendo had with the GC and Xbox was simply because it was released two years before it's competitors, and Sega ended up dying-- which allowed them to develop such a large userbase. The system was also said to relatively easy to develop for-- the PS3 has none of those advantages going into war this time. I think there more at a disadvantage this time-- they have the highest price tag, it's going to be hard to develop for, their coming out last, the userbase is never set in stone, and their gambling with blu ray. I really think your wrong, if you think they can possibly continue to be dominant-- the price alone gives that indication.

They might not fall to second, and definitely will not fail to the point of pulling out of the console race. But tying with Microsoft is the best they will be able to do. Hell, tying with Nintendo for second or even first is a possibility considering their E3 blow-out. People actually rushed the Nintendo show-floor to get their hands on the Wii. Even G4 gave an enthusiastic thumbs-up to the Wii; something I never thought would ever happen.

Also just to make note, there were entirely more quality games for the gamecube then what your pointing out, in my opinion anyway.

Metroid Prime (whether you like it or not, the 2002 GotY is the best game this gen.)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Resident Evil (remake of the original)
Resident Evil 4 (best version)
Eternal Darkness
LoZ: WindWaker
LoZ Collectors Edition (includes Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask)
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Pikmin 2
F-Zero GX
Viewtiful Joe (Best version)
Ikaruga
Animal Crossing
MGS: Twin Snakes
Super Mario Sunshine
Killer 7 (best version)
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Super Smash Brothers Melee
NGNT 4

Let's not forget some of the upcoming games, which are sure to be of nothing but quality.

Baten Kaitos 2: Origins
LoZ: Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario

I kinda bank most of Sony's success with the PS2 all on the casuals that bought the system. I know people who don't even play videogames who bought a PS2. It had a great library, and it wasn't that expensive.

But this time, i really think Sony is going to alienate all those causal gamers with their PS3. The system is just trying to do to much, for too much $. Casuals are going to look at the ps3, and then look at the Wii or Xbox 360, and decide from there that they can get the same things for cheaper.

Sony's fans will still buy the ps3, but all those casual gamers are not going to pay that much money for a new "updated DVD player", a "super computer chip" or PSP connectivity. Sorry, it just isn't going to happen. By the time the ps3 costs $200, the xbox360 and Wii will be very cheap, with a rather large offering of games and features. The Wii is suppose to get quite alot of 3rd-part support this time around, as well as Microsoft.

Sony PS3 = $600 = Less sales = less 3rd-party support = more less sales

There going to be in for a bumpy ride this time around, but that's just my assumption though.

Edit: Opps, sorry Majin, didn't see your post until now. ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ shoryu

your joking right?

a 32" HD LCD tv now costs the same amount as a STANDARD LCD tv did just 3 months ago.

i dont think HD prices will drop dramatically until bluray is out, and thats purely because thats when they will be releasing the 2-3000pixel tv's. but after that, because there wont be anything new, prices will remain steady for a long time, which is always the case with "durable" products.

@ punisher

LOL

how many of those titles are particularly innovative or original?

for a start, most of them are either remakes, or sequals, which makes them unoriginal. and if you think that fleshing up the graphics and gameplay of ps1 releases, so that they can be compared to the ps2 counterparts which are already around is innovative, then think again.

theres about 3 games on that list which can even be considdered original or innovative.

@ everyone.

why is it that every thread about "a console" almost inevitably turns into a console war? this thread is about the ps3, and its pro's/con's and its price.

stop shouting out "omg my wii is greater than your ps3" (pun intended), because that is both off topic, and counter productive.

And let it be known that this is the second time a staff member has asked for the thread to return to the original topic. ~Majin_You

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
phoenix, keep threads sepperate. if you have a beef with someone take it up over pm.
Don't have a beef with anyone o.0 I was stating how ironic it is that something like this happened after all that was said in the past. I have a beef with kidboy though, but for unrelated reasons.

Another reason i'm getting the ps three, if sailor alea is right...ho...ly...****, that would be some ****ing ownage gaming. You can't deny it.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
This is actually a first, but i disagree with you on this one. This is just my opinion, but the only reason Sony had as much third-party with the PS2 as Microsoft and Nintendo had with the GC and Xbox was simply because it was released two years before it's competitors, and Sega ended up dying-- which allowed them to develop such a large userbase. The system was also said to relatively easy to develop for-- the PS3 has none of those advantages going into war this time. I think there more at a disadvantage this time-- they have the highest price tag, it's going to be hard to develop for, their coming out last, the userbase is never set in stone, and their gambling with blu ray. I really think your wrong, if you think they can possibly continue to be dominant-- the price alone gives that indication.

They might not fall to second, and definitely will not fail to the point of pulling out of the console race. But tying with Microsoft is the best they will be able to do. Hell, tying with Nintendo for second or even first is a possibility considering their E3 blow-out. People actually rushed the Nintendo show-floor to get their hands on the Wii. Even G4 gave an enthusiastic thumbs-up to the Wii; something I never thought would ever happen.

Also just to make note, there were entirely more quality games for the gamecube then what your pointing out, in my opinion anyway.

Metroid Prime (whether you like it or not, the 2002 GotY is the best game this gen.)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Resident Evil (remake of the original)
Resident Evil 4 (best version)
Eternal Darkness
LoZ: WindWaker
LoZ Collectors Edition (includes Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask)
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Pikmin 2
F-Zero GX
Viewtiful Joe (Best version)
Ikaruga
Animal Crossing
MGS: Twin Snakes
Super Mario Sunshine
Killer 7 (best version)
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Super Smash Brothers Melee
NGNT 4

Let's not forget some of the upcoming games, which are sure to be of nothing but quality.

Baten Kaitos 2: Origins
LoZ: Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario

I kinda bank most of Sony's success with the PS2 all on the casuals that bought the system. I know people who don't even play videogames who bought a PS2. It had a great library, and it wasn't that expensive.

But this time, i really think Sony is going to alienate all those causal gamers with their PS3. The system is just trying to do to much, for too much $. Casuals are going to look at the ps3, and then look at the Wii or Xbox 360, and decide from there that they can get the same things for cheaper.

Sony's fans will still buy the ps3, but all those casual gamers are not going to pay that much money for a new "updated DVD player", a "super computer chip" or PSP connectivity. Sorry, it just isn't going to happen. By the time the ps3 costs $200, the xbox360 and Wii will be very cheap, with a rather large offering of games and features. The Wii is suppose to get quite alot of 3rd-part support this time around, as well as Microsoft.

Sony PS3 = $600 = Less sales = less 3rd-party support = more less sales

There going to be in for a bumpy ride this time around, but that's just my assumption though.

Edit: Opps, sorry Majin, didn't see your post until now. ^^
You are entitled to your opinion, however, saying that the PS3 has "less third party support" is completely baseless. Sony has, by far, the best third-party support and has since the original PlayStation. That's the biggest factor in which PS2 was successful--not only that it was "released first." It is the reason the PS3 will be successful.

The PS3's competitors have less-than-stellar third party support, and have for quite some time. They've gotten better in recent times, but Sony has hands-down superior third party support. Even X-Box and GameCube "exclusives" were ported over to the PS2 because of it's popularity.

Time will tell if the PS3 will be a smash hit like the PS2 was. I think it will be. The price will go down eventually--but in the end, it's going to be a war between Sony and Nintendo, not really a triple war with Microsoft. X-Box, like the GameCube, has only a few games worth playing compared to Sony's library of hundreds--and XB360? Maybe one or two games worth playing.

And in the end, that's why I (and most people I know) bought a PS2, and will buy a PS3--regardless of price.

Best answers
It's about the same price as when the PS2 came out I think.. But still too expensive for me tbh.. If I didn't have a PC and I wanted to play games, I'd get a PS3, but I don't see why I should get a second piece of hardware that can do all the stuff I can do now..

Dunno, I'm not too much of a console person.. Only reason I have a PS2 here is to play Mortal Kombat games :)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
It's about the same price as when the PS2 came out I think.. But still too expensive for me tbh.. If I didn't have a PC and I wanted to play games, I'd get a PS3, but I don't see why I should get a second piece of hardware that can do all the stuff I can do now..

Dunno, I'm not too much of a console person.. Only reason I have a PS2 here is to play Mortal Kombat games :)
I addressed that question before.

SailorAlea said:
As for the PC--developers can crank a lot more out of crappy hardware like a PS2, than for a PC. Why? Because consoles have identical (or near-identical) capabilities, whereas on the PC they have to generalize the optimizations for different kinds of video cards, processors, etc--there will always be a benefit for having a dedicated gaming machine as opposed to an all-purpose PC.

Best answers
Well anyway, this news made me realize just how good we got it here. If you live in the UK and you happen to be a PS Fan, then start saving right away. Although im sure this won't come as a suprise to you guys, since everything tends to be higher in the UK(From what i read)-- i just didn't think it would be higher by $200. Oh, and there's no rip-off...well cut-down bundle either(IMO, in other words, their not taking u guys for idiots), as seen in the US. It's a good thing Sony is really big over there, so it might not be a problem.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/18/uk-playstation-3-comes-in-at-425-sony-loses-its-marbles/#comments

I really hope i won't have to replace many PS systems this time around, because it'll definitely set me back a couple of b-days and christmases for the next few years.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hahahahahahahahaha...**** that.

I guess i'll be waiting even longer for the price to go down now.

Best answers
I'm still getting a PS3. Just not right away. I'll wait a while so the price goes down on that bastage. When I got my PS2 they were $200. But $500 for the crap version and $600 for the good. That's enough for a decent computer.
Edit: about the storyline on Wii and GC, the Zelda games have good storylines, Resident Evil 4, Mario even has a storyline, also you can't get Naruto on PS2 so...HA!

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kasey said:
Edit: about the storyline on Wii and GC, the Zelda games have good storylines, Resident Evil 4, Mario even has a storyline, also you can't get Naruto on PS2 so...HA!
Yeah, you can get Naruto on PS2. In fact, the 'better' Naruto series is on PS2--Narutimate Hero. The 'Gekitou Ninja Taisen' series (Gamecube) is decent, but not as fun.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
heh, thinking about what they say in that review. sony might actually be onto a winner.

if i look around the products being sold in dixons, theres quite a few items, like HD dvd recorders/players which are priced all the way up to ?399

so i really dont see it as much of a stretch to think people would go for the ps3 over that, considdering that it can (if memory serves) record onto bluray as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom