Playlist Customization

Best answers
It's probably not hard to code into an interface then.

You could add other code strings in there too, like how much the song loops, whether it stops when you're out of transformation, etc.

Like modify the Playlist editor to incorporate options for altering the XML coding. I right click a song, I choose the option for apply to transformation, and then I pick the transformation from a list. There could be a separate window displaying all of the transformations and current songs on them. It'd save everyone the trouble of having to learn what XML is and what lines to edit. It'd save them time from having to change it around if they didn't like it or wanted to change up the songs often.

And on top of that, you could allow people to restore default or save different settings on it so they can switch quickly between them. Maybe two people use the same computer and they like different music.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use foobar2000 with global hotkeys. I have hotkeys for next song, previous song, pause, volume up, volume down, random, repeat, anything you could possibly want to do. I can control my music from ingame without ever having to alt tab.

So yeah, download a music player that has global hotkeys or just alt + tab.

Best answers
If something like an easy interface for this isn't added I'll probably do that, Sub. I just think it'd really enhance the game play if it was done automatically and flowed with the game. From the sound of it, it wouldn't be very difficult to add.

We're talking about making 1.3 noob friendly right? Not many people know about XML, nor do they go into these forums and read them tirelessly to haphazardly fall into the right information about it. The long-time pro players mostly do check the forums, but this is something that would appeal to newer players. Older players have already found other methods for navigating/adapting their playlists to the game, like you Sub. To most, this would be a completely new concept and really personalize the whole thing for them with a few clicks.

EDIT:
Also, you could make MP3's change when you swap characters under the buddy system.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How many times do i have to tell you. Use the XML tool. It will generate the XML code you want. All youll need to do is change a couple of values within the tool.

I se no reason why you are so hellbent on puttig this thing into the playlist editor when its allready integrated and working with the XML manager. Its not rocket science. Its a basic interface that requires you to type more than click but its still easy.

Oh and you will not be typing code. Youll mostly be typing paths to the files.

Best answers
I've said numerous times, make a simple interface to manage these edits, and you're hellbent on using XML directly.

I'm not hellbent on making it for myself, because I'm willing to figure out how it works and do it, so I have no problems. You're one of the few who play ESF that knows what it is and how to do it though. Most people will overlook this potential feature because it's not highlighted and simplified for them. I think it's important enough and worth creating a simple interface for. I guarantee that after it's made everybody will be using it including you.

There are features with XML that you can't do with what I suggest, so let me point out the differences.
-Manage a music library and link it to transformations via a simple visual interface
-Dictate how many times the songs will play and which ones get priority
-Save your music settings, which can be swapped out and loaded with others, to allow multiple people to play with their favorite music on the same computer

Maybe you could even list a few songs and put them on shuffle so it's not the same song every time you transform.

If you don't think it's worth making, then say so, as you'll be speaking only for yourself as someone who knows what XML is and is willing to continuously make these edits on a daily/weekly basis. If you feel inclined, think on behalf of others who don't know what XML is and determine whether it'd be worth it for them.

Once you say whether you like the idea or not, you're not inclined to reply anymore, though I appreciate it if you do.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most people will overlook this potential feature because it's not highlighted and simplified for them.
Then we'll get a few posts on the forum by people asking how to use it, someone gets sick of them and writes a tutorial. People keep asking and everyone gives them a link to the tutorial.

Some people didn't understand custom models at first but they got there in the end, even I managed.

Best answers
Yeah that's a good solution. Maybe make a How To section on the website that tells people how to put in custom models/sounds/music, etc. I guess the most important thing is that it's simplified for them, whether it's through a tutorial or an interface isn't too important.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Disguise for the last time. Its not editing the actuall XML. The XML editor was designed by our coders. Itsx a user interface that manages teh XML files and edits them acordingly to waht the user specifies.

Where in all my posts did i say editing the XML file manually. Yes that option exists but for that you dont need the XML editor.

the XML editor has nothing to do with XML code. Not a thing. It only generates the XML code based on player imput. The effects are preety much all graphical. Expet for the aprt where you have to put in values. But then again that cant be any other way since you yourself specify those values.

So again. Where in all my posts did i say to use XML directly. Cause that would mean you using notepad to open them and manually editing them. Yet the XML does all that **** for you. All you need to do is a few mouseclicks and some number imputs.

Hell adding a new sound to a players taunt is as simple as loading up that characters XML file, making a new line in the editor and typing in 2 things. The first thing is that its a taunt (basically a copy paste jonb) and the second thing is the location of the sound file.

Everything from sprites to models is managed that way. Hell MAPS are managed that way. Every single aspect of the game is managed though that system. And thats precisely the reason why using AMXX to mod ESF will be a pain in the ass. Cause everything is managed dynamically using XML files. And the users get a niffty tool that lets you manage those files without the need to even know what an XML file looks like.

Best answers
I didn't know XML editor was a tool which changed the code for you. I thought it was a necessary program for editing and compiling the code directly into a XML file. The link you gave me didn't explain this, and it really just reinforced the reasoning behind it being difficult. (The wiki page talks about XML being used for a billion different things).

After reading that last post and re-reading what you said before, it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom