Pirates of the Carribean 3: At Worlds End [SPOILERS]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I went to see it today. Now, I'd be lying if I said the movie wasn't over the top, but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Overall, minus the ending fight scene, this was probably my least favorite of the 3 pirates movies, but by a very small margin. What killed it was unnecessary plot points (Collipso).

Also, the movie had moments that were just over the top.

*big spoilers. I repeat, really big spoilers. Once more, REALLY big spoilers. I will not be held accountable for anything spoiled to you if you choose to read all this. In fact, if you have yet to see the movie, do not read below this. FOR THE LAST TIME, BIG SPOILERS*

Multiple jacks while in Davy Jones' Locker made sense as it was some psychological mess in Jack's mind while being there, but he kept on seeing himself talking to him AFTER escaping, which was a bit much.

Also, it's nice that we finally learn who Davy Jones was in love with, but being some goddess of the sea trapped in a human body thats freed by the pieces of 8...that all was just over the top and truly not required. And then turning into a Giantess wasn't really needed either. In the end, her usefulness to the story ultimately became that of creating a big storm and maelstrom, which could have worked just as well and less confusing if it were just a really big natural storm. The whole Collipso thing could have been avoided completely.

Will's father, for no apparent reason, started to lose his mind. He forgets his conversation with Elizabeth seconds after it happened, he kills Norrington even though he's trying to help Elizabeth and crew, and he attacks his own son completely forgetting who he was. None of this is ever explained at all and it just seems to resolve itself without explanation.

Will and Elizabeth finally get married thanks to Barbossa, but then Will gets killed by Davy Jones. He is brought to life again due to Jack forcing Will's hand to stab Davy's heart, which causes Will to be forced to become the new captain of the Flying Dutchman, making him immortal but with the same fate as Jones (not being able to step on land but once every 10 years and forever immortal to lead the dead to the "locker.") This puts a big damper on the whole Will/Lizzy thing and was ultimately not needed, but at the same time makes for an interesting plot twist.

People have also wondered if a Pirates 4 is possible. I say it can go either way. Almost every character has either died or had their storyline resolved.

Dead: Norrington, Cutler, Governor Swan, Jones, the Kraken, Sio Feng.
Story Resolved: Will, Elizabeth, Collipso, Bootstrap Bill.
Jack and Barbossa seem to be back to where they started in the first movie. Barbossa stole the Pearl away leaving Jack alone and Barbossa takes the crew to find a new way to gain immortality, the fountain of youth. This COULD open up for a sequal, but with all these resolutions with the other characters, I dont think it's likely.

And finally, after the credits, it shows a scene 10 years later with Elizabeth and her son/daughter (couldn't tell) waiting for Will, who shows up to see her for his one day on land. It's obvious their story is done.

End Spoilers!

So yeah. It was a good movie, but a little over the top, but loose ends are tied and a sequel could be made or not. I personally would love to see a 4th, but it would have to be a completely new story with new characters (though Jack and Barbossa could still be a part of it).

Best answers
I kinda liked it, the first hour or so is extremely boring and could've been cut in half with ease, though :/

Anyway, this movie has the same problems like every other cinematic chain has, throw in as much plots and twists as possible, then try to tie them all together in a 2h+ movie, but fail somewhat.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that the "Ask a ninja" review for Pirates 2 applies to this one too.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with most of what's been said. I was pretty satisfied by it. It left very few qestions left to be asked, had awesome visual effects and lot's of well-placed references and running gags ("Sea turtles mate...").

I particularly loved the homage to the actual ride right after they fall down the waterfall. It was so classic. And Jack's delusions in the "Locker" were so comically satisfying, and so very Jack Sparrow.

I had a couple problems with it though.

*spoilers*
Firstly, I know it saved the animators grief, but I was expecting to see more of the Kraken, and it actually sadenned me to see the fearsome beast humbled and slain on some random beach.

Second: Too many damned double-crosses! I think the plot could have done without a lot of the double-agent business between Will and Jack. It confused the Hell out of me.

Third: The final battle being basically between just two ships seemed a little anticlimactic to me. Here they have two vast shipping armadas ready for war, and only three vessels even take part in the actual fight.

Fourth: The Tia Dalma/Davey Jones connection was way too obvious in the 2nd movie if everyone was already correct about her being Jones' long lost lover. I know it adds more depth to Jones' character, but the whole plotline this takes us to disintigrates. Plus, her "God-like fury" is a bit subdued. If she's some sort of Goddess of the sea, she should be able to do more than cook up a whirlpool; she should be able to capsize half the ships and hurl tsunami waves at the ones who survive. Aang in the Avatar season 1 finale kicked more ass with the sea than this joke of a feared Goddess did.

Best answers
Overall I enjoyed it, just not as much as the previous two films.

My problems with it were first and foremost, the pacing, the first 20 minutes were excruciating to watch, to me it felt like they were padding out this part of the film with unnecessary dialog.

*minor spoilers*

My biggest gripe however had to be the Davy Jones' locker sequence with Jack Sparrow, I found it to be largely unimaginative and extremely boring to look at, especially since there was so much potential for it to be awesome, it just ended up like a desert Island.

How possibly is a lifetime aboard the Dutchman better than just being slightly delusional in a desert?

I do agree with J-Dude about the Kraken, colour me disappointed :(

Several things really bugged me about this film, but it was a satisfying conclusion to the series.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno.

SPOILER ALERT:Id' have been happier to see Jack become the captain of the Dutchman. Then the whole unresolved "Is Jack Sparrow a great pirate or is it all just dumb luck?" thing could go away, and he really could be a good pirate. After all, WTF would he care about the ten years thing, all he wants to do is sail anyway?]

One thing that annoyed me thoroughly was Will and Elizabeth's character shifts. In the first movie they're naive kids really, with no clue about pirating, save for Will's swordfighting knowledge. Now all of a sudden Will is the leader of the most feared ship on the seas, Elizabeth is King of the Pirates and is some kind of sick warrior fighter, and above all else Jack doesn't even end up getting to keep his ship.

Loved the Keith Richards cameo, though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I liked it, and I thought it was certainly better than the 2nd one, though likely not as good as the first. I enjoyed the plot shifts, probably simply because I hate being able to know what the ending is going to be with an hour left.

The spoilers tag I'm using is at the top of the thread, and I don't know why you'd be reading a thread discussing a movie you haven't seen if you don't want to know about it, so here goes...

As for the storyline, I thought it was pretty good. The only two things I didn't like were Elizabeth becoming King of the Pirates, but again, nice twist, and the other was how the Dutchman and the Pearl were blasting each other for about 15 minutes, and after which, not only were they able to get out of the maelstrom, but were able to destroy that three storied ship, which didn't even fire back. Both ships were wholly together after the battle. Right.

And finally, after the credits, it shows a scene 10 years later with Elizabeth and her son/daughter (couldn't tell) waiting for Will, who shows up to see her for his one day on land. It's obvious their story is done.
I figured there'd be stuff after, but I couldn't convince people to stick around.

Will's father, for no apparent reason, started to lose his mind. He forgets his conversation with Elizabeth seconds after it happened, he kills Norrington even though he's trying to help Elizabeth and crew, and he attacks his own son completely forgetting who he was. None of this is ever explained at all and it just seems to resolve itself without explanation.
I thought that was perfectly explained with him becoming part of the ship. Much longer and he would likely have lost himself entirely.

I didn't mind seeing the Kraken dead. It never really was explained why it was under Jones' control, but some explanation as to why it was dead would have been nice.

Keith Richards character was pretty neat too, as was seeing Jack's father (and mother).

Best answers
OH MAN I HATE SCENES AFTER THE CREDITS!!

Yeah the plot was confusing. And the whole callipso thing becoming gigantor seemed like a disney movie but its a disney movie lol.

THe fight scene was pretty good though and i loved how will and elizabeth got married in the middle of a fight.

But still the endeavour man far out had like 30 cannons on each side all the dude had to say was fire and the black pearl and dutchman would have been owned. It was pretty call how lord carrington was walking and the boat was falling apart behind him.

Well all in all i liked the trilogy.

P.S does will become squid/octopus looking like davey jones now that hes captain of the dutchman?

Best answers
P.S does will become squid/octopus looking like davey jones now that hes captain of the dutchman?
No, they explained that in the movie. The task of the Flying Dutchman's captain is to ferry the new souls to the other side. Jones had to do this as well, but he changed the plans and started sailing on his own, ignoring the lost souls, this he started changing in the squidperson he was today.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Pirates 2 was trash, this one was balls, just like spiderman 3 and pirates 2 there was way too much jumping around, EVERYONE had their own agenda, its paper thin plot was held together loosely at best, I was expecting this to rejuvenate the damage that Dead Man's Chest did, but it ended the series horribly.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pirates 2 was trash, this one was balls, just like spiderman 3 and pirates 2 there was way too much jumping around, EVERYONE had their own agenda, its paper thin plot was held together loosely at best, I was expecting this to rejuvenate the damage that Dead Man's Chest did, but it ended the series horribly.
Wow...harsh. But then again, critics always come to expect too much from sequels since Terminator 2 overthrew it's predecessor. I say, first judge it as a movie, then judge it as a sequel. This was at least much better and more satisfying than the gut-wrenching ending to "Matrix" which left people screaming questions and insults and raving over their disappoinment to the screens.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
God forbid a movie leave the ending open to interpretation and the viewers imagination (or continue the story that never actually ended through an mmo).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
God forbid a movie leave the ending open to interpretation and the viewers imagination (or continue the story that never actually ended through an mmo).
Personally, I HATE movies that make you "guess" what happens. I want CLOSURE, certainty and finalization. A movie that just drops off to me is unfinished and poor. Prime example is Children of Men. What a great movie...but what a horrible ending.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel the same way about movies that have happy cookie cutter endings that leave no room for the viewer to actually think about what may have happened or may happen, either as a long-term consequence of a character's actions or decisions or as a result of the circumstances under which the movie ended. I also feel the same way about clear cut movies that leave little room for interpretation or thought on the part of viewers.

But that's just me.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Well I mis-spoke, I meant the movie as a whole ended the series like dog-****, not the ending of the actual movie.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I mis-spoke, I meant the movie as a whole ended the sreis like dog-****, not the ending of the actual movie.
My post was in response to J-Dude's comment regarding The Matrix trilogy.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
too much flashy, not enough meat in movies nowadays... it's just like going to an expensive restaurant, expecting the best meal of your life.

and then finding out it's just a small portion of somthing, which is presented beautifully in the middle of your plate, yet when you eat it, you're left with a still, very empty stomach...

which is why i now prefer to eat the cheap **** i can get from any supermarket.

there are so few decent movies now, it's all gone balls up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
too much flashy, not enough meat in movies nowadays... it's just like going to an expensive restaurant, expecting the best meal of your life.

and then finding out it's just a small portion of somthing, which is presented beautifully in the middle of your plate, yet when you eat it, you're left with a still, very empty stomach...

which is why i now prefer to eat the cheap **** i can get from any supermarket.

there are so few decent movies now, it's all gone balls up.
Quoted for truth. Movies have been bad lately, though I don't really remember them being good, besides the movies you enjoy when you're a kid because you're just a kid.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You guys are nuts or just hard to please... this is probably one of the top movies I've ever seen.

Btw, Keith Richards is the coolest looking pirate in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom