PC - HDTV HD Movies chelp(help)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well, this is still theoretical cause we(my family) didn't got our laptop yet.

K, so lets say I got a laptop with HDMI connection and a 720p HDTV LCD screen.

Now lets say I plugged my laptop to my HDTV LCD as the laptop's monitor and I set up the resolution to 720p.

Now lets say I got a 720p movie on my hard drive, lets say the movie is "The Dark Knight"(the 2nd batman movie from the new batman movies) and "The Dark Knight" resolution is 720p.

Now my question is this:
Will the quality of playing the movie from the hard drive of the laptop on the HDTV LCD screen using an HDMI connection will be EQUAL(=) to having a Blu Ray player connected to the HDTV LCD via HDMI and playing a Blu ray HD movie(original copy of the movie) on the Blu ray player.

Thank you

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Probably not. Not that your HDMI connection to your television degrades the quality, but the movie on your HDD probably isn't Bluray quality. True Bluray movies (1080p) usually are in the region of 15 to 20gb in size. Guessing from the 720pness, I think you downloaded the movie, so the quality is probably lowered to a more downloadable size. During that downsizing process, quality is lost.

However, let's say you hypothetically have a Bluray player in your laptop, you would put a Bluray in it and connect it to your television. The quality will look pretty much the same as any Bluray player would.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron, the video if it's HD will look great regardless even at 720P. It really depends on what type of HDTV you have and how it will upscale that picture. The bit rate of the video matters too. Bigger the file, better the quality unless you used wrong converting settings. You know you're watching a Blu-ray if you can see crisp film grain on the TV itself. If you can't then the quality is downgraded or your TV is hiding the grains (DNI).

I use 720p on my 360 instead of 1080p because the picture itself looks better and smooth and a lot of the games anyways renders to 720P. 1080p and 1080i have lag issues in certain games like GH2 and Rockband.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom