Original Half-Life available on Mac!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Valve's Original Half-Life Now Available on Steam for Mac
Half-Life, the first person shooter originally released in 1998, skyrocketed developer Valve to fame and influenced an entire generation of first person shooters. Despite its popularity, the game has never been available through Steam for Mac, until today.

As discovered by Cult of Mac, Valve released Half-Life for Mac on Steam this morning, though the company has yet to make an official announcement about the product.

Other Valve games like Half-Life 2 and its episodes have been previously available on the Mac version of Steam, but users can now add the original Half-Life to their collections for $9.99. It has also been bundled into several different value packs.

Half-Life was originally developed for the Mac back when the Windows version was released, but due to disagreements with Apple, the Mac version was scrapped at the time.

The Half-Life page in Steam still indicates that the game is Windows only, but Cult of Mac bought and installed the game on a Mac to confirm that it functions. The game can be purchased via Steam for Mac for $9.99.
Okey, this is interesting as I am a Mac user. I've already started up Steam and downloading it. However, what would this mean for mods? I know that e.g. NNK uses it's own DLLs, however would it be difficult to support these mods on Mac?

As I just started running a NNK server on my white Macbook from 09 (running in Win 7 atm) I would love to see HLDS get supported on the Mac as well, that would make my life a lot easier.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Btw, I believe the disagreement was that Mac wanted a larger cut of the profit for using their platform. Or they called Gabe a **** face.

Either way, that's pretty cool. Going up that gaming list slowly, but surely.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Maybe merge the Mac & Linux threads? I just saw that CS 1.6 is also available on the Mac platform! :)

EDIT: I started to download the CS 1.6 (beta) on Mac. I checked the folder and I found that the DLLs were turned into Mac "specific files" (.dylib + dylibdSYM). Now if this is the only difference between the win folder and mac folder of CS, wouldn't it be, theoretically, easy to produce these .dylib files onto 3rd party games/mods such as NNK and ESF. I would hope that this would be looked into by some devs.

Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 11.38.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I could have told you that. The .dll files are the game, the other files are just resources that the game needs. The question here is can we produce those files with the SDK that we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom