Options for voices like the other dubs

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
When I found out how many taunts each character has it really surprised me - upwards of like 20 each character or something like that.

Each taunt wont have its own unique mouth movements right?...........
No Taunts dont trigger mouth movements. ESF uses the standard HL model split. Meaning lower body and upper body. The head is animation goes with the upper body. And since you can shoot taunts any time you want, that would require an insane amount of animations (even with the head as a separate split).

So taunts dont cause lip movements. Attacks and such stuff however do.

Best answers
At current count (may go up or down) the character voice clips alone total 5,081 unique files. I am NOT making more XD When we release, people are welcome to source their own audio and make replacement packs XD
Perhaps there could be a community competition to make a voice-pack that fully-functions and after community votes, Which-ever one gets the most votes gets featured as an official replacement pack that comes with the installer?

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Perhaps there could be a community competition to make a voice-pack that fully-functions and after community votes, Which-ever one gets the most votes gets featured as an official replacement pack that comes with the installer?
You dont need a community competition for that. You can just get people and make a sound pack. If the quality is good enough we can put it in to the installer without the need of a community competition.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I....wish you luck XD

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Karrde can also probably set you up with a list of sounds you would need for that chars.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not totally sure yet though if you'll have to replace each file or just use the XMLs to point to the files.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
We can probably use XMLs to point to different sound packs and just replace the XML file for different sound packs. So with that there is probably a possibility of choosing the sound pack VIA the configuration tool.

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I'll let other people do that

over 5000 files is too many for me

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I'll let other people do that

over 5000 files is too many for me
Well if we design the character sounds like the HUD system, we could technically make it selectable though the config tool (like the HUD). Though i dont know how much work that would be in terms of rewriting existing code.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I want an Ocean Dub pack simply so I can spam every taunt Vegeta has relating to "the next dimension."

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Sorry for bumping up the thread but I'd rather not make a new thread surrounding the question of voice acting.

In ESF: Final, do you guys plan on using the voices from Funimation and Ocean together, or just making it Funimation? Also, are you going to get any voice acting from Kai? The way I'd do it would be getting the improved voice acting for Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, and maybe Frieza and Cell from Kai. For fan support I'd keep the rest from the original DBZ Funimation dub. Personally, I'd do it all from Kai. I did grow up watching the original DBZ but I can't help but notice the issues with the original dub.

all my opinion btw don't bash on me i know how harsh dbz fans can get when it comes to dubs ;~;

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Is no one going to mention DBZ Abridged?
:p

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
DBZ Abridged is weird when it comes to VA's, sometimes they're serious but most of the time it isn't (obviously...). Not really sure if it should be in ESF but a few lines here and there wouldn't be an issue for me :3

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Sorry for bumping up the thread but I'd rather not make a new thread surrounding the question of voice acting.

In ESF: Final, do you guys plan on using the voices from Funimation and Ocean together, or just making it Funimation? Also, are you going to get any voice acting from Kai? The way I'd do it would be getting the improved voice acting for Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, and maybe Frieza and Cell from Kai. For fan support I'd keep the rest from the original DBZ Funimation dub. Personally, I'd do it all from Kai. I did grow up watching the original DBZ but I can't help but notice the issues with the original dub.

all my opinion btw don't bash on me i know how harsh dbz fans can get when it comes to dubs ;~;

Cell's voice was horrible in Kai, you should be ashamed. Even though it's the same voice actor, well.. his voice just didn't age too well. Vegeta was okay, Goku, not sure about piccolo, but I think Frieza sounds more intimidating with the Funimation voice. YES I SAID IT!

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Cell's voice was horrible in Kai, you should be ashamed. Even though it's the same voice actor, well.. his voice just didn't age too well. Vegeta was okay, Goku, not sure about piccolo, but I think Frieza sounds more intimidating with the Funimation voice. YES I SAID IT!
I wasn't so sure with Frieza and Cell, that's why I put a maybe before I said their names. I do agree with Cell's voice aging not too well, but I don't know, I just thought it sounded a bit more professional. Didn't have the same power like it did in DBZ but again, that's why I said maybe. With Frieza, It's either you enjoyed the new or you just plain despised it. I enjoyed Kai's Frieza, because I think the VA fits the character well. The VA has more tone, more expression, and didn't sound like a cancer patient. DBZ Frieza did have the intimidation, but for everything else, the VA was terrible. Again, all my opinion.

There's no way you can tell me with a straight face Vegeta, Goku, and Piccolo didn't sound any better from the original dub though. Both Christopher Sabat and Sean Schemmel had more experience, and more time to work on the dub then they did with the original. It's easily noticeable, to me, that there's a huge improvement. I do admit though, some of the lines/grunts in Kai were worse then DBZ at some points, but for the most part, Kai has the better voice acting

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Maybe, but maybe it's also cause I grew up with the Funimation/Ocean Dubs.(Funimation being my fave) I like that frieza's voice was 'different' He was an alien, and it helped sell that in my opinion, rather than giving him a generic deep typical bad guy voice like just about every other villain in the series. Piccolo Deffinantly sounds better, Goku I'm still on the fence with, but his diologue is far improved. Though Vegeta... eh, Nah cant say I like Kai's version more than the original, which I think fit him better. The guy was in a transitional stage, And even up to the end of the series we just barely see him complete that transition, which is why I think the Funimation voice works better for him.

But pertaining to the option for additional voices in the game it was said somewhere that any of that stuff will have to be done on your(or some other fan's) part. And there will only be the standard set of voices for ESF: Final when it launches.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Yep, I also grew up with the Funimation and the Ocean dubs. When it comes to the Funimation/Ocean battle, I'd go with Ocean for the Saiyan Saga, and transition it to Funimation from the Frieza saga till the end.

Kai's Frieza does not sound generic or deep voiced in anyway, it's all original bro. If anything DBZ's Frieza sounded generic and typical.

Funimation Vegeta, in the beginning, was obviously trying to sound like the Ocean Dub, and it really bothered me. Around the Cell saga, Christopher decided to add some diversity to his voice and made it sound a little bit different, but it was still pretty high pitched and didn't really sound too good. The Buu saga was where he was getting the right idea with his voice, it was more deep, and it sounded pretty good. People see the change in voice over the sagas as age progression, but I see it as Christopher just trying to find the right balance with Vegeta's voice. Kai was just an improvement of Vegeta's voice all together, it wasn't too deep or too high pitched, he had alot more emotion, he sounded extremely evil at some points, etc. Its way better then DBZ Vegetas voice.

I'm just hoping that the ESF team adds at least some lines from Kai. It would sound reaaaally good.

ANBU
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
While i like the original(japanese) voices and would like to have it as an option....i'd rather not. I mean i don't want the game's release date to be pushed even further ahead.
If someone decides to make a japanese sound-pack i'd be willing help according to my free time and priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom