Opacity Tiling Problem

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm working to make a model of Earth circa 250 million years into the future, which has shifted it's continents into an arrangement reffered to as "Pangea Ultima", and I've found a texture and made an assortment of maps, even maps for clouds and a shader for an atmosphere effect. It's composed of a number of spheres layered on top of each other.

I'm nearly done with it, except I'm getting an odd and unwanted effect that the opacity of the cloud map and the atmosphere shader object seem to cause. When either of these objects are visible, this ugly tiling appears in the geometry of the underlying layers, as if the smoothing had become faceted. This disappears once the offending objects are hidden, as shown here:

Earth Ultima, with the objects visible and their unwanted effect.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/JJMDude/withtiling.jpg

Earth Ultima, with both objects hidden, preventing the above issue.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/JJMDude/without.jpg

I'm at a loss, I can't understand why this is happening. I've never seen it before, and I'd really appreciate it if someone were to help me out here.

Anyone please?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sir, I'm going to have to arrest you for looking at the pictures and ignoring the text.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
how.... Just how does that differ from what you do :-/
Spanky has a badge, handcuffs, a taser, and an unhealthy sadomasochistic sexual apetite... 'Nuff said.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the clarification and non-idiocy, folks who bothered to read. This is at least a better response than anything I've gotten from cgtalk.

I hope that the problem at hand comes into the conversation though.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I aint really into art but. You said its layerd. Is there a chance of impurities on the layer?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't believe so, but it doesn't matter now.

A guy on CG talk said it looked like something happening with the shadows, and that inspired me to alter some settings and eventually exclude the atmosphere and cloud object layers from receiving shadows. I think this will do. I can worry about lower-res textures and unfortunate bump-pixelation later.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If there aren't going to be any up close shots, you could probably just texture all of the detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom