OMG calling all computer nerdzors,

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
k, as far as i can tell my fan wont last another day. the noises its making could scare a dinosaur away >_>. im risking blowing up this computer by typing this. (i could just use my brother pc to type it but i needed to confirm some hardware stuff for the purpose of this thread) ill be checking it later from a different pc

i did have another thread with a simlar basis, but i deleted that one to make this one, the direction i want to take with this one is a lil different than the last's, and i dont think deserve 2 threads here :cry:

i was looking around on the net to buy a replacement cpu fan. and i ran into a lil problem, i have no idea what socket type fan i need >_<. (much less how to put one on, but ill get to that AFTER i have the fan) from what i can tell the socket varies according to what processor you have.

at first i wasnt sure what i had, i was almost sure it was a pentium 4. least i couldve sworn that what was on the box of this POS emachines. checking in my system information game me something along these lines

"x86 family 15 model 2 stepping 7 genuineintel `1993 mhz"

which doesnt state if it is a pentium or a celeron, just an intel, so i was in a mad panic to figure it out before it melted, and i checked one more thing
the system thing in the control panel, and discovered that it was a

"intel (R)
celeron(R) cpu 2.00 ghz
1.99 ghz
256 mb ram"
(i know the ram part didnt need to be in there, but i it was in the same area of the name of the processor so i figured that in some way it could tie into what i need that i didnt know about)

but what type of socket does that have? from what ive gathered ill need a socket 478 fan, but in all honesty i dont know jack **** about the guts of a computer and i dont trust information that i gathered myself

i apologize if ive used any of the wrong wording here, like i said i have no concrete idea of what the hell im talking about

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Socket 478

wtf.....10 chars

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hehe calm down, not having a fan won't make your CPU melt down haha
you can still safely use your computer
and if for some reason it gets to hot, your computer will shut down automaticly before damage is done ( protection \o/ )

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my brother got his p4 chips by trading his old celli chips for and pentium chip (he traded his 1.8ghz cellie for a p4 1.7ghz chip and then eventually traded his p4 chip for a p4 2.6 533mhz fsb chip)

icolers aren't that hard to find. If your Country has an overclockers site or something (aus , america , uk & nz have overcloker sites) anywho look around on their forums , people get rid of differ heatsinks there , infact my brother bought a p4 3.06ghz cooler for 15 bux au plus 10 pp. But if anything , try and go for a nice cooler if you can affored *points in thermaltake's direction*

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ultima2_freeze said:
Celeron.... i'd throw it out to be honest :|
i didnt pick it, it came with

anywhoo thats kind of the point, im replacing that comnputer very soon, however i still need it to be functioning when i get the new one so i can transfer the files over.

can anyone tell me how i would go about installing a new one? ive heard horror stories, (like girs case) and i dont wanna mess it up

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
i didnt pick it, it came with

anywhoo thats kind of the point, im replacing that comnputer very soon, however i still need it to be functioning when i get the new one so i can transfer the files over.

can anyone tell me how i would go about installing a new one? ive heard horror stories, (like girs case) and i dont wanna mess it up
It's very easy, trust me. Take off your current fan. Put the new one down, slide the little metal clips into place until they're nice and snug. Then, plug the CPU fan into your motherboard. The plugin is easy to spot as well. It'll probably be a little orange, three-pronged plugin. Then, start it up! \o/.

Also, try and place the fan so that the side the plug comes out of faces the plugin. You don't need any thermal paste since the CPU cooler you're buying appears to have some already one it, which would be fine for you.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't need any thermal paste since the CPU cooler you're buying appears to have some already one it,
how do you know which one i picked out? o_O
THIS is the one i picked, its got some pretty good reviews

the thermal paste part is scaring me, cuz well ive never done it before and its easy to screw up your pc doing this >_<, im gonna order some arctic silver5 w/ it. (or was planning on it) cuz i heard you NEEDED to replace the stuff that was on there from the previous one. but if its not necessary for the heatsink/fan im getting. i wont bother

anyhow, i dont even know how to remove the current heatsink/fan thats in there now (sounds pretty pathetic dont it),

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if butter spills off your toast onto your plate , the kitchen doesnt catch on fire >_<,

or am i being overly paranoid, i just dont wanna mess this up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not going to be like water <_>. If it gets off your CPU, just use rubbing alcohol to get it off. Easy peasy Japanesy.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so with this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106606
i dont have to even mess with that stuff? just stick and go?

if so ill just order that one, its cheaper, and no doubt better than the stock fan. (it is emachines after all)

and i just noticed the one i wanted had a 4 pin connector, im quite sure my pc uses a 3, ill doublecheck before i order, (or i could just be being an idiot again)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i would rather a thermaltake big typhoon , but you should check if there's enough room in your system. Afterall , it's only a heatpipe Heatsink cooled by a 12cm fan (pretty dam big heatsink thou , ways a bit for a heatsink)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's not going for an overclocking record. He just wants a stable computer :/.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe it's just "stick and go".

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yay, ill name my first child "teh smitheh" if it is, if not, ....

i will hunt you down :devgrin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom