Nuclear reactor coming to a store near you!

Best answers
Im not really understanding this. This generator has great potential, and it saves alot on energy costs. Why exactly havn't we heard something bout it yet? I mean if its this great, then where is all the hype?

I want meh nukuler generatah!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've done some checking, and apparently, they are using nuclear power in space, but not through fission. They only use the energy generated by the radiation.

As for the idiocy in thinking a NUCLEAR REACTOR would be placed anywhere near your house, well, that just speaks for itself. For those of you who think radiation is oh so dangerous, then I suggest you kill yourselves right now, because at this very moment, you are being bombarded with it from space, and naturally, from our friend (although it really shouldn't be at this point, considering the hell we've put it through), the Earth.

The S4 Reactor is the safest thing around (it's less dangerous than driving, and in terms of nuclear power, it's very safe). Like I think people have mentioned before, the only real danger is the sodium, which has a tendency of burning. Li-6 is not a very harmful substance - your daily intake of sugar and chemicals is far more deadly.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as I know, RTGs have only been used in unmanned spacecraft, specifically to map out our Solar System and beyond, and to study nearby celestial objects, like the one used in the Ulysses Mission. I haven't heard of an RTG being used in the space station or any other manned vehicles, mainly because they can renew their energy at any point in time. RTGs are used for long distance missions that occur over a long period of time. Both Voyager and Pioneer missions come to mind.

But in the case of the space station, solar energy is the way to go. We're near enough to the Sun that it'll continue gathering energy until the panels break or malfunction, and it's highly efficient. Replacing all of those panels with an untested prototype that no one has really seen isn't exactly the best choice out there.

We're not being bombarded by nuclear radiation, which is what Dark, among others, fear will happen if the reactor/generator malfunctions somehow. But again, it isn't your average power plant, so it's an irrational fear. There isn't any uranium involved and we've gotten to the point where safety is the least of our worries when it comes to power plants.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/dec/23/scienceofclimatechange.climatechange

I'd rather we focused on this kind of technology before putting all of our hopes on something we haven't seen.

Best answers
well.. from what i remember from chemistry class, Lithium is reactive to water... im sure if you have a high amount lying around (say.. in a nuclear reactor) and it leaks and mixes with rain water or what not.. wouldnt that make a pretty beefy explosion?j

Im just throwing ideas out there....

Force Pit Member
Best answers
duh, ive said that quite a few times now in various threads.
Then at least be right about your arguements -- saying "geiger counters don't work so i don't trust them" isn't a good arguement because, and here's the kicker, they work. That's like saying "I don't have a fire alarm in my house because I don't trust them.''

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like that "nuclear waste" idea, seems smart. Doesn't mean we can't still use nuclear reactors and so forth to power settlements far from "civilization".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eskimos getting their very own nuclear reactor :p?

Seriously, how awesome would be powering your rig with it:

"I have a 900W PSU"
"Psshhh, nuclear reactor ftw o/"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I already pointed out that awesomeness. :3

Problem is that you'd have to bury it underground, so nobody could actually see it. =[

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why bury it ? All the peeps would be like "His pc was so awesome that i went bald"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It wouldn't be buried in fear of radiation - rather in fear of sodium leaks (possibly creating hard-to-put-out fires).

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or because it's an unsightly beast, and there's no reason to have it above ground. Most of the generators over here are underground, unless you live right next to Con Ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom