Nuclear reactor coming to a store near you!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Clearly these should be used to power Gundams

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Global Oil Cartel will never allow alternative energy/fuel to develop as long as petroleum exists.

TO BATTLE!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vox Dei and Avenger.

I'm only going to warn you two Once.
Keep it civil.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pff. Micro-reactors.

Shizuma Drive is where it's at. o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol @ looking outside and seeing a giant flaming mushroom where your neighbours house used to stand XD

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well it is thought pretty well through...

Funny I didn't realize that the deadly radiation that 'seeps through the walls' at power plants today kills the hundreds of people working there. You'd think if this was true that there would be no powerplants on earth.

I suppose it's kinda like radon. You'll have detectors if anything goes wrong. You act as though the people who work on this stuff don't know what they're doing, and would randomly put leaking radiation into your house.
your house wont have the same safety equipment as a nuclear reactor, and its more the fact that it COULD leak radiation rather than it always leaking radiation. and radiation is a little more tricky to detect than thick black smoke, especially with most objects on the planet seeming to emit radiation due to isotopes in the ground.

im not sure if you realize how dangerous radioactive materials really are especially in the hands of a normal human without chemical safety training. in essence, its not the people who work on it im worried about and thats not what you should be thinking about.

but as i said, they seem to be doing well to idiot-proof it, although im worried about the wastes it produces. i havent read anything on it yet. the reactor wont be used much but in a situation like the eastern blackout a few years ago, how much waste would be produced?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your house wont have the same safety equipment as a nuclear reactor, and its more the fact that it COULD leak radiation rather than it always leaking radiation. and radiation is a little more tricky to detect than thick black smoke, especially with most objects on the planet seeming to emit radiation due to isotopes in the ground.
We have smoke detectors. We have carbon monoxide detectors. Both are common place in homes where they're needed. Would it be so strange for someone to have an alarm that uses a Geiger counter?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We have smoke detectors. We have carbon monoxide detectors. Both are common place in homes where they're needed. Would it be so strange for someone to have an alarm that uses a Geiger counter?

well what im saying is that it may not be as reliable as a smoke detector, just because of all the extra factors involved in a family residence.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well what im saying is that it may not be as reliable as a smoke detector, just because of all the extra factors involved in a family residence.
Have you ever used a Geiger Counter? Sure it'll give off a few clicks every once in a while due to ambient radiation, but they could easily set it to detect unsafe levels of radiation.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it ever comes out, it'll be used to power towns and city blocks, not individual households.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it ever comes out, it'll be used to power towns and city blocks, not individual households.
True. I'm arguing a moot point.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you ever used a Geiger Counter? Sure it'll give off a few clicks every once in a while due to ambient radiation, but they could easily set it to detect unsafe levels of radiation.
yeah, we used to use one in a cemetery near my house. but radiation is dangerous even in very minute ammounts at a constant flow. it wont affect immediately, as is shown with chemical body tests, but the constant barrage of radiation will eventually have an effect, whether its weak or not.

True. I'm arguing a moot point.
as i said before, arguing for the sake of argument. its not fun if no one wants to compete.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
What's there to factor in? Either there's radiation leaking or there isn't. If there is, you get the **** out, if there isn't you enjoy your life.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If there is, you get the **** out, if there isn't you enjoy your life.
but radiation is dangerous even in very minute ammounts at a constant flow.
factors? children, basically.

but, as for my quoted answer up there, its not a plume of black smoke. a constant invisible and penetrable flow of radiation isnt just simple to detect and it can still be quite dangerous if your constantly pounded on by it. even if its not enough to be detected by a geiger counter.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have a nuclear power plant in your living room and your handy dandy geiger counter isn't picking up signs of radiation leakage, stop worrying.

The generator isn't going to be anywhere near your house so I don't see the point in arguing about how dangerous something that doesn't even work the way a normal nuclear power plant does might be if you had it next to your bed.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
toxic materials arent something to **** with. so regardless of the geigers silence, i wouldnt stop worrying. thats just me though.

as for the argument, how can you not figure out that we know this and are arguing for no reason?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
toxic materials arent something to **** with. so regardless of the geigers silence, i wouldnt stop worrying. thats just me though.

as for the argument, how can you not figure out that we know this and are arguing for no reason?
Can you start making sense? Please?

It's already been stated that the plant would be no where near you. If something went wrong at the plant, you'd be warned about it, and evacuated. They have sensors to detect this **** whether you want to believe that or not (which you clearly don't).

Sometimes I think you start arguements for no reason, as there's nothing to argue about.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually this device is for home use meaning if you bought it wouldn't you keep it some where near your house instead of some other place where someone could steal it?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sometimes I think you start arguements for no reason, as there's nothing to argue about.
duh, ive said that quite a few times now in various threads.

It's already been stated that the plant would be no where near you. If something went wrong at the plant, you'd be warned about it, and evacuated. They have sensors to detect this **** whether you want to believe that or not (which you clearly don't).
i thought the article said it was for home use, as phobius said. i do know that they have sensors to detect radiations, as i have said already. but theres still not much room for mistakes in making it. its a fission reaction chamber so im sure its not really that stable. to put it plainly, i just dont think something like that is for home use. i think theres a distinct possibility of catastrophe.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually this device is for home use meaning if you bought it wouldn't you keep it some where near your house instead of some other place where someone could steal it?
http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news-toshiba-micro-nuclear-12.17b.html

The Article said:
Toshiba has developed a new class of micro size Nuclear Reactors that is designed to power individual apartment buildings or city blocks. The new reactor, which is only 20 feet by 6 feet, could change everything for small remote communities, small businesses or even a group of neighbors who are fed up with the power companies and want more control over their energy needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom