ntfs hdd -> xp to win2000

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Allright ... I have an old comp (secondary one, my mom and sister mostly use that one) with xp installed and wanted to replace that one with a slightly faster one but with win2k installed.
Both comps work perfectly fine but when I try to plug the "old" secondary hdd (300gb, ntfs) from the winxp comp into the "new" win2k comp it shows me the hdd as not formatted at all and just asks if I want to format it.
Obviously, the hdd is formatted and not empty and when I plug it back into the winxp comp it works fine

I tried to convert it to fat32 with partition magic before plugging it into the win2000 comp but the convert to fat32 option is greyed out in partition magic probably because the partition is too big (over 32gb)

I suppose I could resize the partition (100gig are still free on that hdd) and create <32gb fat32 partitions and then move stuff over (then after that, resize again, create more small fat32 partitions and move the rest over bla bla) but thats pretty tedious :(

Any ideas how I could just plug the hdd into the win2000 comp without having to go through all this trouble?

And no, just putting the data onto another hdd/comp to simply format the hdd is not an option .... excluding that hdd I have like 15gb free in total T_T

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Got a DVD burner on the XP system DJ? Burn off all files, format, reload.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Weitd. Win2K is NT based. It should have support for NTFS. WinME is the 9x based and requires FAT32.

Well in the worst case scenarrio you should do it over a backup portable HDD.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
if I only had one :s

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Win 2k's NTFS is a different version than XP's. Sorta like saying Win95 supported FAT32, FAT16 and FAT12. It only supported 32 in the B and C releases. I know that's what's wrong, but I don't know how to help you with it. I'll see if I can dig anything up.

Best answers
Assuming both PCs would most likely have a NIC, find a network cable, share the stuff and copy it over. If however you'd like to do it locally, does the disk show as a dynamic or basic disk under win2k? Perhaps you could convert it to a basic disk under disk management or boot the XP drive in safe mode on the new pc then copy the data over to the win2k HDD/Partition.

Three methods of doing so ;).

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Problem is I don't have that much free space on any of the comps in my network >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom