Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm hoping some of you can help me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's the thing - I want to be able to record gameplay footage from my TV (Xbox 360, mainly) to my PC in order to make video-walkthrough on Achievements, Easter Eggs etc. I'm just not sure what the best way is to go about doing this. I've been reading about something called MyHava (www.myhava.com) but it's not available in my country. :/

Then there's Capture Cards, but I've no idea how those work etc etc...

Here is what I have;

What would be the most effective way of capturing video from my TV? I want to do this. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you need to get either, one of those capture cards. Or set up some kind of camera system.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How would I set up a capture card though? I'd still need to plug in my TV to my PC somehow, right?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I remember correctly, you stick a capture card in your pc. These usually have composite (or newer ones have HDMI as well) slots, so you can directly connect your XBox to your PC in some way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That helps a lot, thanks. So basically, all I would really need is a capture card and composite cables? I'm pretty sure my internet's not good enough for streaming live video, but those 2 things is all I'd need to actually record from my tv, right?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not sure how capable thos capture cards are (if they let you display the input on your monitor) so you might need to split the signal coming from your console to your TV and capture card. The software of the card should enable you to record the stuff.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got myself a USB device called "EasyCap" for $60...Turned out it was a knock off and the software that came with it was illegal but it works. There is an official EasyCap DC60+ (the + is important) out there, which record alright 480i resolution. Pretty sure you can find one between $10-$60. If you want HD though I've read that an HD Personal Video Recorder is the way to go. "Hauppauge HD PVR" is apparently popular, but the $200 mark throws me off. I've read capture cards work too but if you are playing directly on your computer, there will be lag. an HD PVR doesn't cause lag I believe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The price tag is no problem, really. I'll gladly dish out 200 bucks if that means I can record how I want. So I'd either need a "Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro" or a "Hauppauge HD PVR"? I hear if you want to go with capture cards, Hauppage is one of the best brands in the business. I'd need to be able to play and record on HD though.

Lith, from what I can read on the Blackmagic page, it says "Video Input AND Output = HDMI". So I'd plug in the card, then connect it to my TV with a normal HDMI cable? That would work?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know how exactly it works. I'm sure it works like that considering this video:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVNk_jTWTlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVNk_jTWTlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm looking at that picture but it doesn't make much sense to me - It seems as though you're hooking up two HDMI Cables, one from the 360 to the PC, and one from the PC to the TV. I might be missing something here, but I was reading reviews on the Intensity Pro and apparently it doesn't support devices with HDCP, which means devices such as bluray players and game consoles (!) will not be supported. I can only imagine that the device would record the output from the TV, not the 360 itself, which would make a HDMI cable between the two useless.... right?

Sorry for all the questions but €200 is still a big investment and I want to make sure it will work properly before I start buying stuff. :p I appreciate all the help though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I appreciate the help, your logic would make any question or topic obsolete, because people can Google and Youtube everything. >_>

Still, that video helps, thank you.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Both devices I suggested are around the same price. The Hauppauge HD PVR is nice. Friend's been using it for his videos on Youtube but I've had my eyes on the Blackmagic Intensity for a while now ;p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I'm leaning towards that too. The total price including HDMI Cables would be ~€200. Well worth it if it means I can finally record properly. It seems incredibly easy to set up, too. I'll get this soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom