Norton Ghost Restore Help

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Note: I do not have a floppy drive.

Right, so after I formatted, I Ghost-ed my C: drive so I wouldn't have to re-install Windows again. Now, I need this backup, but now that I realize I cannot restore the image (C_Drive.v2i) through Windows. So, my question is?

If I burn the .v2i image into a DVD (the image is only 4.5gigs), and if I load it before Windows starts, will it restore? Or do I have to, through Norton Ghost burn the drive to a DVD.

My first time restoring a backup =D.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can always try it, but it's better to have a floppy (that's how I always did a restore with ghost, just got the image off a network server & booted with a floppy).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think ghost works best through networked images, or images on other hard drives. Doing it off a DVD is an interesting prospect but I've never tried it; I see no reason why it wouldn't work, other than the image being 'Read Only' off the DVD.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the comments guys!
@Saiyan_Overlord: I don't have a floppy =(, but thanks!
@SaiyanPrideXIX: Thanks for the encouragement. I've been doing some reading up, and I realize there is a way to create a Ghost Boot CD-ROM. How easy is this, and what are the chances it will work?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just purchase a floppy or rip one out of an old computer and your home free :D. I always did Ghost (most of the time) through networks, booted off a floppy & then grab the image off a server. It's what a lot of corprate companies do when they purchase a lot of oem pcs from a company such as hp, and then create an image for all the other models that are the same as that one.

Best answers
I would aggree with Overlord.. it will be hard doing any other method. And also.. *shivers* get rid of norton! Its sorta worthless. (Note: Thats just my opinion so ignore me if you likes it :p).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kenny83 said:
I would aggree with Overlord.. it will be hard doing any other method. And also.. *shivers* get rid of norton! Its sorta worthless. (Note: Thats just my opinion so ignore me if you likes it :p).
This is ghost we are speaking of here, and it can't be considered useless. Imagine how annoyying it is to have to reconfigure everything the way you liekd it if you had to reformat, and that saves us some fuss there. In all esence you should be able to boot from a cd or dvd, just find a floppy disk, copy the files from the floppy to your pc and burn them to a cd (well you don't have a floppy to begin with though from what I remember). Each time yoiu do a windows setup, you obviously have to boot it froom the cd, & in theroy I guess the same aspect could go for Norton ghost, as they are boot files from a floppy that should also work with a cd. If you had other stuff on that media weather it be a cd or dvd you could always trigger it to boot off the norton ghost files with a few dos commands you can get it to boot off them.

When you boot using Norton ghost, it will load drivers for your lan, mouse and keyboard. However i'm not quite sure if this will work for a cd given the fact that You have to specify location of what to grab the image off, be it another pc that has to run a ghost server or a cd media, but in theroy you should be able to boot off a cd, to answer your question (but iv'e looekd at a lot of crazy logic and i'd be repeating myself again and again and again I guess).

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Can you just put the drive into another system, install Norton on that system, and ghost the image onto your drive?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's probably just simpler for him to find a floppy from a old pc or just spend $10 on a floppy drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom