What do you mean by Half life 1 engine?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
He means launch Half-Life 1 and see if you can find any online servers.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Even in Half-Life I cant find servers

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Maybe your router has something set to block the ports that prevents steam from searching for servers?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I dont know how to check it out, I knew how to do this on my old one, but I got a new 1 not too long ago

---------- Double Post below was added at 09:52 PM has been merged with this post created 09:48 PM ----------

also ESF work perfectly on another computer conneted to the same router...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont know how to check it out, I knew how to do this on my old one, but I got a new 1 not too long ago

---------- Double Post below was added at 09:52 PM has been merged with this post created 09:48 PM ----------

also ESF work perfectly on another computer conneted to the same router...
Well if you have the same problem for all HL1 based games, chances are your computer is being blocked. So you should recheck all firewall and router settings just in case you overlooked something. Also make sure to compare the router allow list firewall to your LAN firewall in case your LAN IP changed without you knowing. That can happen at times if you have your router set so that it gives you an IP instead of a static LAN system.

You should also check other STEAM based games (any game that uses STEAM as a server browser utility) to see if they have the same issue as well.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
well, I have to computer connected to the same router, has the exact same IP and both have steam, 1 work and the other doesnt....
My firewall doesnt block anything and when you think of it, about half a year ago, I tried playing Counter - strike with steam with my friends who made a server and I couldnt find it either...
I hope all the information I gave will help you find my problem and help me...

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Like grega mentioned. Check the router and see if you are (maybe) on the possible port blocked list. If this is the case, then someone has been naughty.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
HL1 or my PC or Steam is not on the port block list...

Force Pit Member
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
How is your internet hooked up? ie: Modem --> Router --> Pc? If so list which router you have model etc.

Force Pit Member
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I once used a D-Link and had a similar problem. The problem is you need to have ports opened on your router for whatever your pc's Lan Ip address is for half-life based games (ie: 192.168.1.1). I being lazy, used the DMZ feature on the router. Your router's ip address default is 192.168.1.1, This is the IP address you will enter into the Address field of your web browser to access the Router’s configuration graphical user interface (GUI) using a web browser. The username and password is "admin" if never changed. Go into your router make sure you have DHCP set up and not static or any other form of routing. To access the Local Area Network (LAN) Setup window, click the LAN button in the Advanced Setup directory on your router's menu. You can configure the LAN IP address to suit your preference. Most will find it convenient to use the default settings together with DHCP service to manage the IP settings for their private network.

If your using DHCP and on Default mode you may need to open ports to your pc's ip address or use DMZ. Look around until you find NAT -- DMZ Host and type in your pc's ip address in the field to enable (This will for sure let you see servers.).Since some applications are not compatible with NAT, the Router supports use of a DMZ IP address for a single host on the LAN. This IP address is not protected by NAT and will therefore be visible to agents on the Internet with the right type of software. Keep in mind that any client PC in the DMZ will be exposed to various types of security risks. If you use the DMZ, take measures (such as client-based virus protection) to protect the remaining client PCs on your LAN from possible contamination through the DMZ. If someone would be so kind to post the ports needed for port triggering for ESF/Half-life (I cannot remember off hand) and post them that would be a more suitable option then using DMZ. But DMZ is a quick fix but can be risky.

I hope this helped let me know if you need further assistance.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I just wanna know, is port forwarding and port triggering are the same?
EDIT: How do I do port forwarding?

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Not quite no.

Ok, try this:

Advanced Setup -> NAT -> Virtual Servers
Click Add
Select Custom Server, and name it what you want - ie: Steam
Enter your Server IP Address of you PC - ie: 192.168.1.2 (can type in ipconfig/all in a Command Prompt to see what your PC IP address is)

You will now enter the required Ports, and will have 5 entries to make:
External Port Start / External Port End / Protocol / Internal Port Start / Internal Port End
Enter the port number range you are needing - e.g. 27000 / 27050 / TCP / 27000 / 27050 for Steam above
Click Save/Apply
Repeat for each Port number or range you need.
You should not need to restart the router.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Do I need to restart steam after doing that?
EDIT:Sorry to tell you but it didn't work, I also contacted steam a while ago and they answered me, and it also didnt help... I really dont know what to do...

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What Ip address are you inputting for your pc?

and you tried the port rangers i gave? 27000 to 27050? (make sure you put enough 0's in.)

Also what kind of firewalls do you have enabled and what antivirus do you use? Some have built in firewalls that need to be bypassed.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I dont know how to check the Ip adress and yes I tried the port ranges.
I have allowed Steam and HL in my windows firewall and I am using avira antivirus. (altough I think the license already expired)

Force Pit Member
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Try temporarly disabling your firewall and antivirus just long enough to see if it will let you see them.

---------- Double Post below was added at 02:59 PM has been merged with this post created 02:54 PM ----------

tell me what i address you entered for the ports in virtual servers. That's really important to have the right ip address for both that and the DMZ feature without that your not going anywhere... Just an FYI normally for good routers like Cisco/Linksys you never have to forward ports to connect to servers.. But D-Link is well... special. (at least it was on the last 1 i owned till i gave it away.)

If you don't know how to get to a command prompt to see your ip address I'll tell you how to check for windows 7 ultimate (it's what I use.)
Start menu -> Left click Computer - > On left side Right click on network and then Left click properties --> left click Local Area Connection or Wireless network connection (depending on which you use.) --> Left Click Details --> IPV4 Address is your pc's current Ip Address. should be something like 192.168.1.101 or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom