Nintendo sued for stealing controller technology.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My opinion, here, is no different from what I thought when I saw a similar thread about Sony.

Basically, as long as this doesn't prevent me from adding the three new conoles to my collection (over time), I'm a happy camper. Hopefully, Microsoft and Nintendo will just shell out the money and move on. As a gamer, through and through, I make it my goal to look forward to each new console in one respect or another.

No fanboy-ism, no wounded remarks about people attacking one console or the other; as long as it doesn't set the Wii or the 360 back, I'm happy.

EDIT
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Because in the past we've been all but assaulted about that particular subject in older threads
That's a trend in almost every console thread. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of trudging around in my riot gear whenever I see a console thread pop up. I do wish such discussions were always as civil as this one is, but people seem to have a hard time accepting that others are going to have varying preferences when it comes to their support of a conole. That support shouldn't be challenged or, as a result, rabidly defended. If someone wanted, for instance, to support Nintendo, there shouldn't be comments suggesting that he or she is idiotic. Likewise, someone willing to support Sony and the PS3 shouldn't be ridiculed about being prepared to pay for their choice (a trend all too common in previous threads). Perhaps when the forum, as a whole, is respectful of others' preferences (because they need not be grounded in logic; for gaming, preference is simply a matter of what one finds fun), we can expect that threads such as this one, or the one about Sony being sued, will not be prey to console war run-off from older threads.

...if that makes any sense.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tolore said:
in defense of the coffee lawsuit, mcdonalds coffee shouldn't give 3rd degree burns.
Actually, her millions and millions of damages weren't even because of the burns she received. She essentially won her medical bills, everything above and beyond that were in punitive damages. I don't really feel like digging up my business law notes to explain it, but I'm sure google can do a fine job.

However, that is neither here nor there.

I'm curious to see how this lawsuit unfolds, and if Nintendo settles out of court or not.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't Sony and Nintendo alter the technology (improve, let's say) so that it fits around the patent, or are patents allowed to be so broad as to avoid that?

Did this company just notice that consoles are being built with rumble technology? Last I checked, my crotch gets a good vibratin' every time I get hit by a Thundega, and those games came out long before this '99 patent. I know company's have the right to sue to protect their ideas, but this stuff isn't exactly cutting edge, or even remotely new.

Maybe I can get a patent on buttons. That's right, if you want your controller to have buttons (ie: X, Y, A, B, O, triangle, start), you need to give me money because I say it was my idea.

Maybe I'm just an ass that would rather see fun consoles than some company I've never heard of make a buck for their 'idea', but they don't even have a website I could google. Sketchy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
Anascape sues Microsoft, Nintendo
Texas-based firm alleges that console manufacturers have infringed on a dozen patents granted between 1999 and 2005.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Aug 4, 2006 1:33 am GMT
Sony has already lost a lawsuit regarding patent infringement in its DualShock game pads, and now rivals Microsoft and Nintendo are facing their own legal battles over controller technology.

Texas-based Anascape filed suit on Monday in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, alleging that both companies infringed on 12 patents it was granted between 1999 and 2005. The patents in question deal with a variety of controller technologies, including analog sensors, tactile feedback, and vibration mechanisms.

The complaint specifies which patents it believes each company violated, but it doesn't detail the alleged infringements. Anascape is seeking payment with interest for damages it suffered as a result of the alleged infringement and an accounting of Nintendo and Microsoft revenues that stemmed from the use of the patents. If a judge doesn't rule for a permanent injunction against the companies' use of the patents, Anascape is also asking for them to be made to pay a compulsory licensing fee to keep using them.

Court records indicate that a summons was issued to Nintendo and Microsoft on Monday, but the companies as yet have not assigned any legal representation in the case.
You got this from where?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know this sounds a bit cliche Zero, but where did you hear this/ link please?

Eh, this could be a coincidence, but I think some companies are just jumping on the bandwagon. First two companies sue Sony for their stolen technology and now this one is after Nintendo and Microsoft.

Maybe I am a bit oblivious to the details, but why didn't they sue earlier? How are they infringing on the patent specifically? And how come people assume a company 'steals' these ideas? I could be naive regarding the way big companies work, but isn't there a possibility that they just happened to accidentally use the methods the prosecutors used?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
Anascape sues Microsoft, Nintendo
Texas-based firm alleges that console manufacturers have infringed on a dozen patents granted between 1999 and 2005.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Aug 4, 2006 1:33 am GMT
Sony has already lost a lawsuit regarding patent infringement in its DualShock game pads, and now rivals Microsoft and Nintendo are facing their own legal battles over controller technology.

Texas-based Anascape filed suit on Monday in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, alleging that both companies infringed on 12 patents it was granted between 1999 and 2005. The patents in question deal with a variety of controller technologies, including analog sensors, tactile feedback, and vibration mechanisms.

The complaint specifies which patents it believes each company violated, but it doesn't detail the alleged infringements. Anascape is seeking payment with interest for damages it suffered as a result of the alleged infringement and an accounting of Nintendo and Microsoft revenues that stemmed from the use of the patents. If a judge doesn't rule for a permanent injunction against the companies' use of the patents, Anascape is also asking for them to be made to pay a compulsory licensing fee to keep using them.

Court records indicate that a summons was issued to Nintendo and Microsoft on Monday, but the companies as yet have not assigned any legal representation in the case.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155238.html?q=anascape, Google guys, it's amazing what you can do with technology.
Chakra-X said:
but isn't there a possibility that they just happened to accidentally use the methods the prosecutors used?
You can go accidentally violate at many as patents as you want, you're still liable to be sued for damages.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:

You can go accidentally violate at many as patents as you want, you're still liable to be sued for damages.
Oh I know it is still illegal, but I mean the bystanders that decide that the company has automatically "stolen" the idea, making it sound as if they purposeful scavenged patents to use on their own accord with no originality.

Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
How is this frivolous? A patent means you have the exclusive right to make, use, and sell an invention/idea for a set period of time.

If you come up with an amazing idea, but don't have the funds to see it through yourself, why does that mean you shouldn't still be able to protect that idea so that someone else can't make a fortune off of it?

This isn't like McDonalds Coffee, these guys actually have grounds to sue, patent violation.
Stop sticking up for these ****s. You know EXACTLY why they made that "patent" It's not because they couldn't find the ****ing funding. I'm quite sure they have the funding to use it now from sony, but are they? NO!

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Morpherex said:
Stop sticking up for these ****s. You know EXACTLY why they made that "patent" It's not because they couldn't find the ****ing funding.
Who are you, the opinion monitor?
Morpherex said:
I'm quite sure they have the funding to use it now from sony, but are they? NO!
And before you start telling me what to do. Get your facts straight. Immersion sued Sony. Thanks.

I can take whichever side of the argument I want. That's the beauty of having an opinion.

You don't see me telling anyone to stop sticking up for Nintendo do you? Grow up.

Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
Who are you, the opinion monitor?

And before you start telling me what to do. Get your facts straight. Immersion sued Sony. Thanks.

I can take whichever side of the argument I want. That's the beauty of having an opinion.

You don't see me telling anyone to stop sticking up for Nintendo do you? Grow up.
Learn how to read a post before replying, please.
I'm quite sure they have the funding to use it now from sony
You're obviously taking the wrong side if you will stand up for patent whores, who waits x amount of years, then sues a company for "loses".

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Opti DID read your post. He pointed out that THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT THE PEOPLE WHO SUED SONY.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am now holding the "do nice" stick. All arguments in this thread are OVER. Anyone attempting to get in a "last word" will be warned, and the thread will be closed. Moreover, I will remove your post.

So, tone it down and put out the flames people. Only you can prevent forum fires.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Everyone needs to be like me; play games for what they are \o/
Bedies, all this suing crap, why don't the makers of Pong sue every gaming developer organisation for copying them by making video games. It's getting ridiculous; the law is getting ridiculous, you get sued for the smallest things. A parent of one of my friends tried to take another of my friends to court because he wedgied him after the prom a month ago; she described it as battery and assault lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom