Next Xbox will feature Blu-Ray and Anti-Used games feature.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-t...t-play-used-games-and-will-introduce-kinect-2

he latest next-gen rumor claims that Microsoft's next Xbox will support Blu-ray discs and boast some sort of "anti-used game" technology.

the latest entirely unsubstantiated rumor to come to light regards the coming successor to Microsoft's Xbox 360. According to "industry sources" dug up by Kotaku, the NextBox Xbox 720 will support Blu-ray, just like Sony's current-gen PlayStation 3. It's not exactly a world-beating upgrade but it is long overdue; the DVD drive in the Xbox 360 holds less than nine gigabytes of data, compared to the 50GB capacity of Blu-ray. I think we can file that one under "obvious."

More interesting, and far less obvious, is word that Microsoft is looking to incorporate an anti-used game system into the new box. How, or even if, it will work isn't clear; a mandatory online component for the hardware that links each game to a specific console or user account might get the job done, but it would limit sales of the console to people both able and willing to take part in the scheme.
I never planned to get an Xbox, so doesn't affect me much, but...wow. I am sick of this ****, I hear devs complaining about piracy on the PC. Then, devs complain about -USED- games not making them any ADDITIONAL money. So they introduce online passes, basically the cost of the game again, so no point in buying used.

NOW, they will forgo all that and KILL the used games market. They will make it harder to sell used Console games than PC games. Never thought I'd see that day!

★ Black Lounger ★
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
if they made the games cheaper i would buy it faster, im getting -used- games also.. we have loads of stores who sell them (i don't own a xbox but it works for ps3 :D)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"unsubstantiated rumor"

I am taking it with a grain of salt. "Industry source" also said the iPhone 5 was coming out last year.

Also, as much as I LOVE buying used games/renting games, does it cause the developers to lose money?

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since we buy the used copy instead of the new one, yes. Something akin to pirating a game resulting in a lost sale.

Personally I think the next consoles will push digital downloads. Used games won't come into the equation then.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
70% - 80% of my game purchases are new anyway

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Such bull**** that used games cost the devs money. They already got money for that copy. Ugh.

Guess it'll be the end of console gamers holding the fact they can sell their games above PC gamers heads. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I get so many new games its not even funny. I pick up maybe a few old games used like... Yesterday I went out and bought Devil May Cry 1-4 again. I don't see how this would really cause much of a problem. Brand new games usually get bought when they first release more then the used versions at GameStop and such anyway. Maybe 4 months down the line they drop in price is when people actually start buying used. New still sells more at that time.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It will cause me problems not being able to trade-in anymore since that's how I afford alot of my new games

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, while I don't think piracy is hurting content developers more than, say, not bothering to COMPETE with piracy, Gamestop does make their mint on selling used games for 100% profit, which is money the developers never see. While I agree, if you support makers of great games and want to see them make more you should suck it up and buy the new one, flat-out shutting out used game sales is a SOPA-level drastic and draconian dick move.

I mean, how would they implement this anyway? Can't really tie a game to a single XBox, or you've effectively killed the "party game". I suppose you could tie a game to an account, but seriously. It's always the same thing. You put up bull**** piracy guards, and then the infinitely resourceful and numerous pirates generate a workaround that negates your guards before the end of the week of release. In the end, you've made everything more complicated by setting up safeguards against your customers, and the ones you intended to foil blow raspberries at you and do it all anyway.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, they are thinking of putting a ID on the game itself, and tie it to yourself Xbox's Hardware ID, kind of like a Punkbuster Hardware ban. Making that disc unplayable in other Xbox's, say "Unauthorized" when you put it in.

Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I mean, how would they implement this anyway? Can't really tie a game to a single XBox, or you've effectively killed the "party game".
The "party game" kinda died out with the current gen of consoles. Many games that should support local multi-player only support online multi-player. So for the developer, they wouldn't lose half as many sales in contrast to people buying games used. I'm not supportive of this idea, and is the reason I stay clear of just about anything MS puts out. But if it becomes a common line of thought between MS, Sony and Nintendo, I may be done with console games all together.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The "party game" kinda died out with the current gen of consoles. Many games that should support local multi-player only support online multi-player. So for the developer, they wouldn't lose half as many sales in contrast to people buying games used. I'm not supportive of this idea, and is the reason I stay clear of just about anything MS puts out. But if it becomes a common line of thought between MS, Sony and Nintendo, I may be done with console games all together.
It's a shame, because "party games" are the games that sell the most. Buzz! for instance is still a pretty great game (even better if it didn't force localization on PS3). There's a massive market for "party games", and it's not being exploited as it should be.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I might be slightly underestimating this, but 90% of the games on the Wii are party games. Plus, with the advent of kinect, I don't think it's fair to say that party games are dying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom