New Solar System Abound!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is something most people know instinctually, but at least there's evidence to support our gut feeling.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Planet-seekers who have spotted 28 new planets orbiting other stars in the past year say Earth's solar system is far from unique and there could be billions of habitable planets.
The most recent planet discoveries bring the number of known exoplanets -- planets outside our solar system -- to 236, the researchers told a meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Honolulu on Monday.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That habitable planets exist isn't up for debate, it's just actually finding one that is. Then we can start thinking about tackling the issue of how the hell we get there.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We've already found a planet extremely similar to Earth, albeit larger, and should be quite capable of supporting life. We probably won't know for sure whether or not a planet is 100% habitable until we get there, or devise something that'll be able to travel to that planet relatively quickly.

That said, the article is more about the existence of thousands upon thousands or millions of other solar systems out there. The less unique Earth and our solar system seem, the better the chances are that other systems exist that resemble ours (in one sense or another), and could possibly harbor life. For me, it isn't about finding life as we know it. I want to find sentient life. I don't care about tiny bacteria.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just wana fly an X-wing ^^

Honestly. Its about time they said that.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Eh, I think it's a bit arrogant to think of going to other planets until we find out all about our own first.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We don't have the technology to get to the bottom of the ocean. We do have the tech, however, to take pretty pictures of the beginning of time.

That blows my mind.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, yeah. You don't even need technology to look back in time, all you need to do is gaze up at the sky.

I'd also argue that developing technologies that focus on outer space is much more important than going to the bottom of the ocean.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it will be another 500-1000 years before we are truly ready for space discovery.

Well, maybe we can get a president who puts more initiative in the world, all combining on the basis of an international space program.

We got plenty of countries to get involved. (Russia, China, India, Britain, France, etc)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All of which have their own agendas.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And I think that's retarded.

If we are to explore the universe, we'll be considered the same thing, irregardless of skin color as well.

It's ironically biased to not consider a global effort as the best possible option.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
And I think that's retarded.

If we are to explore the universe, we'll be considered the same thing, irregardless of skin color as well.

It's ironically biased to not consider a global effort as the best possible option.
Indeed, a planet's gotta unite under one banner and work for the better of humanity and not monetary gain in order to seek out what lies beyond the planet.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I agree. If were gonna get serious about space exploration everyones gotta be on the same page.

Any single nation could not get too far on its own, Id say manned Mars max.

Mankind is its own biggest hurdle, has been in the past and still is to this day.

Retired
Best answers
agreed, but it will probably take a Global disaster of some kind to bond people and nations together..

However I agree with magus, there are still a lot of things to discover on our own planet. But then again actually trying to explore space and develop technology that can lead us to other planets might also come in handy once a global killer (meteorite that could destroy life as we know it) approaches earth.

but that would probably be a whole new topic on it's own.

on-topic: i'm glad to see that we are progressing on the discovery of space.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It may just take the realization that we're possibly in the stages of another major natural disaster (ice age/flood) and need to consider the better goals.

Which has to be a global unity to spread out in the universe.

WE MUST CONQUER ALL!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We need aliens. Or a really, really, really evil guy everyone can hate. It has to be an Us vs. Them kind of situation, where we'd band together for the greater good. Until then, each nation (and most people) will think in terms of what is best for them and their nation, rather than what is best for our race.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well you saw what happened after 9/11. It's become everyone vs the terrorists.

It's obvious this logic is there for the taking... but it may be a situation where aliens are afraid to unite us, because we will be a force to be reckoned with.

We've tripled our technological prowess in the matter of a century.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
agreed, but it will probably take a Global disaster of some kind to bond people and nations together
It may just take the realization that we're possibly in the stages of another major natural disaster (ice age/flood) and need to consider the better goals.
Perhaps we're closer to this day then we think. As far as natural disasters go anyway.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258732,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well you saw what happened after 9/11. It's become everyone vs the terrorists.

It's obvious this logic is there for the taking... but it may be a situation where aliens are afraid to unite us, because we will be a force to be reckoned with.

We've tripled our technological prowess in the matter of a century.
Afraid to unite us? Uh...I was thinking more along the lines of "Oh dear god, those are ****ing aliens. Let's **** them up before they **** us up." That'd be something we'd do as a race.

Everyone vs. terrorists isn't clear cut. There is no face everyone can look at and hate, other than the guy leading the war against terrorism, which is counter-productive. If Hitler came back and was 10 times more evil than before and had super powers and didn't need to control germany, that'd be great. We'd have something to fight for and against, and we'd know who the enemy is.

Retired
Best answers
well 'war' would not be something to unite us, it actually divides us. Hitler had his army, terrorists do.

it would have to be something we all stand against, such as invaders from space or just a meteorite that could destroy us. Ah well enough of that talk, the topic started out on the fact that new habitable planets were discovered ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom