New melee Good or Bad?

Do u like the New melee So far?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HELL NO!

• Its not that great but i like it a little.

• Almost suits my needs.

• Total voters
Best answers
Well i'd like to share my 2 cents. The new melee systems great it will confuse noobs and lil melee whores. I like the new input systems, but it should be more fast paced like a ceratin time to input all the stuff would make it better but gj guys.

Best answers
Most noobs dont get the 1.1 melee so I dont like it >_<. Maybe the throwing, but not chargable swoops and "stun" time.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Woha it`s the best :).(So far as I can see)

But really we can`t give any crits cause we haven`t played with the new melee system.

So any critz are wrong cause we haven`t played with the new melee system.:)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Take a look at the other thread if you want to see people's opinion. Anyway, I voted the third option.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i voted 3rd as well. this new stuff seems cool but i am displeased with the pace of the game they are obviously sacraficing.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Joe has already said in the thread grOOvy made specifically about melee, that all the charge times and things of that nature are cvars.

So if you don't like how long it takes, you can change it. What a concept :rolleyes:

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would also like to add, most of the timings are "place holders". We havn't even started tweaking the speed of the combos / ki cost / whatever, we're still just getting the base down. When we said WIP, we actually ment it ^_^. Blocking needs quite a make over, the FX needs to be implemented, and a crap load of other stuff needs to be done.

Best answers
Give it time and Advanced melee will become a new religious phenomenon.... Good job joe.

Best answers
I like the new melee, for as far i can see, cause i noticed that i m getting a little bit bored by the current melee. I was playing and it was always the same so....

But i don't get the thing with the arrows, what do u have to do with it?

Best answers
Indeed the combo charging speed needs to be upped ... its way too slow now ... 3x what it is now should be good ... also try to blanace its KI cost too :D

Best answers
I chose the first one,cause the new melee is just awesome and its goin to get better when its done.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The so called "advanced melee" isnt very advanced. Wow, I can press 8 buttons and by pressing these 8 buttons, do a couple of punches and kicks take no skill to use. And omg, with the press of one button, I can throw sombody. Wow, this melee will sure be skillfull, fun, and not repetitive at all....[/endssarcasm]. The new melee isnt good. Thats just my oppion, im saying exactly what I think. Its just bad. b1.0-1.1 melee was bendable in that you could do some fancy moves (non offical moves like for example, go on the ground, wait for your opponite to swoop at you, then teleport up and swoop after him) and outdo your opponite, but this system; Well this new system basicly you press 8 buttons(I counted) and then watch a video determined by those 8 buttons you pressed. Or you could throw sombody across the map by pressing mouse2. And basicly thats all everyone will be doing since joe said hes trying not to make melee bassed on swooping anymore so everyone will just go head on and keep repeating this. Its going to be repetitive. I would'nt mind repeating the same steps over and over (since i love 1.1 melee and 1.1 melee is repetitive) if there was skill invovled, but after watching the vidoe several times, I see no skill involved. Its going to be once you learn how to do a combo/block, you will be as good as someone who has played a significant amount of time longer then you. I know its half life 1 and theres limitations to what you can do, but im pretty sure the melee can be made better then that. And I do realize that this is a work in progress, but I fell the whole idea is bad and somone should come up with a new one. No matter what tweaks you put into this system (tweaks as in tweaking the amound of time it takes to do a punch, the ki it takes, ect) it will still be bad becuase the idea its based upon is bad. I really liked Halorins old melee idea opposed to this. http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=31649&highlight=advanced+melee. He made a new revised melee idea, but the new advised one is almost identicle to the one we have now. I also came up with some ideas of how to make melee better.

-ideas on melee in development
1) No swoop charging. Swoop should be instant like how they are on the show. If you don't want melee based on swooping anymore, then make it so that either its too slow to be usfull, or takes up a significant amount of ki.
2) Take out the pause of gameplay to chose what attack you want. Thats just utterly retarted. Melee should be real time, I don't want to watch some "video" based upon what i choose a second eairler.
3) Ok, so the game would be in real time if they did what i suggested in 2. Now, it could basicly be the same way, but current time. That way you dont have to stop for about 10 seconds. Like for example, the way its set up now is ipress up down left ect, then the blocker has to press the same buttons. Well, that all happens during the pause. Just set it so it happens during real time and the melee wont be so bad.

I coulnt think of anyother ideas of how to spice up the melee

Also, i know noone would care about it and/or listen to me but im trying to think of a melee that everyone would like.

Sry for being a little mean in the beggining of this post, but I just cant stand the way melee is set up to be. I know the esf team doesnt owe me or anyone else anything so im just gunna say right now thx for making this game and doing a dman good job doing it. great job team, keep it up. :yes:
heh wow long post

Best answers
i agree 100% hybrid but i think advanced melee isnt so bad but i think it should be an extra weapon slot instead of taking 1.1 melees place because 1.1 melee seems alot more fun and more skillful to me because combos harder to pull off and take some skill atleast..I think if they keep advanced melee like u do ur moves and see em 1 second later then they really should mix it in with the melee we have now because the melee we have now takes way more skill no doubt and the combos are fun even after u do them a million times but 1.2 melee combos wont be good unless we can mix them with 1.1 like hit forward(1.1 style) tele forward a few tiems like 6 or so then turn around charge advanced melee and go i think it would be cool if u do that the other person recovers and starts fighting you or instead of using advanced melee you could throw them or somthin cause throw combos would be the shiznit :).. as for swoops having to be charged that is bs i do not want to be like a freaking old lady sitting there for 3 seconds just to swoop 10 feet that is crap lol so keep swoop how it is :(

Best answers
i think its a great idea if the game was built for 1 on 1 fighting, but i am skeptical as far as how it will work with numerous people playing at once

Best answers
Hybrid: I'm not going to go ape**** on you like i did on Nabore because you dont deserve that kind of treatment. But what you dont seem to understand, which is apparent with your statements about skill with melee, is that not all people are good with 1.1 melee. Not matter how long they use it. They may be decent, but thats about it. This system is very open ended. blocking and attacking are independent from one another.

With that said, let me address your second complaint: speed. I'm not going to say anything on this, but simply quote Pcjoe...

Pcjoe said:
I would also like to add, most of the timings are "place holders". We havn't even started tweaking the speed of the combos / ki cost / whatever, we're still just getting the base down. When we said WIP, we actually ment it ^_^. Blocking needs quite a make over, the FX needs to be implemented, and a crap load of other stuff needs to be done.
and ET...

Evil_Trunks said:
Joe has already said in the thread grOOvy made specifically about melee, that all the charge times and things of that nature are cvars.
So the only thing left is the swoop charge. I dont like the swoop charge either man. :p

Best answers
Hybrid, I like your kind: saying what they think whitout insulting anybody.
But i have to disagree because of 1 simple thing:
I think that melee really needs a real transformation because my opinion is that it's getting bored a littly bit(and I'm a hardcore melee kinda guy!).
It's still fun but I don't know => it's always the same.
Just hope that the transformation into 1.2 will be a good
one. We'll see.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hybrid said:
-ideas on melee in development
1) No swoop charging. Swoop should be instant like how they are on the show. If you don't want melee based on swooping anymore, then make it so that either its too slow to be usfull, or takes up a significant amount of ki.
We're going to start experimenting with different types of swoop. Most of the team doesnt like the charged swoop either, so we'll see what we can do about that... To be honest, I don't think it's going to be in the final version. If it is, the charge time should be quicker then the video.

Hybrid said:
2) Take out the pause of gameplay to chose what attack you want. Thats just utterly retarted. Melee should be real time, I don't want to watch some "video" based upon what i choose a second eairler.
That's the problem, you can't have "real time" close melee (interactive melee like we have), without making it "automated".

Hybrid said:
3) Ok, so the game would be in real time if they did what i suggested in 2. Now, it could basicly be the same way, but current time. That way you dont have to stop for about 10 seconds. Like for example, the way its set up now is ipress up down left ect, then the blocker has to press the same buttons. Well, that all happens during the pause. Just set it so it happens during real time and the melee wont be so bad.
Imagine someone with 200 ping vs someone with 60 ping. How could that 200 ping person fight the other guy in real time?

Best answers
Pcjoe said:
We're going to start experimenting with different types of swoop. Most of the team doesnt like the charged swoop either, so we'll see what we can do about that... To be honest, I don't think it's going to be in the final version. If it is, the charge time should be quicker then the video.

That's the problem, you can't have "real time" close melee (interactive melee like we have), without making it "automated".

Imagine someone with 200 ping vs someone with 60 ping. How could that 200 ping person fight the other guy in real time?
I thought the new melee was suppose to kick 56kers off ESF.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ShiftyOliver said:
I thought the new melee was suppose to kick 56kers off ESF.
Eh? I think you have it kinda backwards, heh. The new melee was made so people with higher + lower ping could fight on the same level.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, it's devistatingly obvious that alot of people are ignorant about many things...unfortunatly ~_~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom