Need help with spec

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really know how much I wanna spend. Maybe 6000 ILS (comes out as 1580 USD).
But still, I checked and the prices here are very different. Usually more expensive.

I went to the store yesterday to order the computer. This is probably what I'll be picking up tomorrow:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12MB 1333MHz BOX
MOBO: ASUS P5Q PRO
RAM: G.Skill DDR2 4096MB 1000MHZ 2GX2 Dual Channel Kit CL5
GFX: Connect3D Radeon HD4870 OC 1GB DDR5 TwinTurbo PCIe
HDD: WD 640GB 7200RPM 16MB SATAII
DVD: ASUS-2014S1T DVD-RW SATA X20
PSU: NZXT PP600W
CASE: Cooler Master RC-690 ATX Mid Tower
CPU COOLING: ZEROtherm FZ120 Nanoxia silent PWM 120MM FAN Limited Edition

Now for my question. Will I be able to run the latest games on good settings?
I was talking to the guy who works there and he told me that games don't usually care if it's quad core and that the GFX they have (the one I posted above) is about the same level as GTX260, maybe better.

This computer will be mostly for work, but I don't want to limit myself and I still want to try out some games and hopefully enjoy them with their highiest details.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I'm on a gtx260 right now and I have a weaker cpu then you .. I can play all games I tested so far (farcry2, Pure, Fallout 3) on the highest settings so you system will do so as well ;)

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phew D; that's good to know cause since they didn't had the parts I really wanted I started to get worried.
Don't want to get a computer for work only. Even though I'm a workaholic lol.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry for the double post.
Just bought all the parts, and there was a change in the spec too.

This is what I bought:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12MB 1333MHz BOX
MOBO: ASUS P5Q PRO
GFX: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB GDDR5 DX10.1 HDTV 2xDVI PCI-E‎
RAM: G.Skill DDR2 4096MB 1000MHZ 2GX2 Dual Channel Kit CL5
HDD: WD 640GB 7200RPM 16MB SATAII x2
DVD: ASUS-2014S1T DVD-RW SATA X20
PSU: NZXT PP600W
CASE: Cooler Master RC-690 ATX Mid Tower
CPU COOLING: ZEROtherm FZ120 Nanoxia silent PWM 120MM FAN Limited Edition

That's it then. Got all the parts... my cousin will help me put it together this week, I hope.
Now it's all about backing up stuff and getting ready. D:

Thanks for all your help! I'd still like to hear thoughts about the final spec. Hopefully good ones. XD

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Seems like it will be a good system :yes:

I like the "ASUS Express Gate" on those motherboards it's a quick way to search the net in a hurry.I built a system for my aunt using the ASUS P5Q-E, which also had that feature. Also those motherboards have pretty good power saving features as well(using the software that comes with it)

One note about that case that I can recall is, watch your knuckles on inside top panel, it's like a cheese grader do to the ventilation holes for the two unoccupied fan spots. The rest of the case is pretty safe. It's a pretty good case though, I like it.

Another thing I remembered about the case, the front panel is fairly tight so you have work at it to get if off, you'll probably need to when installing the DVD drive. One that makes it easier to get off is to take off both side panels, and pinch the tabs holding the front panel on while pulling it off. Good luck.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the pointers, Gogeta!
I'll get to work on it tomorrow with my cousin and update you guys.

Hopefully I'll have some pics by this weekend.

I already stocked myself with Bioshock (just for kicks), Fallout 3, Farcry 2, Crysis + Crysis Warhead and Dead Space. lol Should be fun cause I'm playing Max Payne 2 for now... XD

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got the system a week ago lol
Got me really busy heh. It's pretty awesome and everything is working well.
I have Vista 32bit SP1 for now. Got to play Crysis, FC2, Fallout 3 and Bioshock so far. All run on max settings perfectly. Even though it drops the FPS with Crysis, it's still very playable and enjoyable.

I'll post some screens once I get fraps installed. Got lazy with installing all the applications I need heh.

Just got one problem which I have no idea how to solve yet.
Crysis crashes on DX10 on certain levels. No idea why or how, but it doesn't crash even once in DX9.

I installed the latest ATI drivers, Vista updates, DirectX August 08 update, Patched Crysis and even looked for hotfixes for ATI.

I looked on Google and it seems like a common problem. Dunno if I want to give up the DX10, it just looks so awesome with it.

Any suggestions?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The 4870 X2 runs hotter than the pits of hell. Make sure you adjust the fan speed settings and check the gpu core temperature along with the cpu core temps. That might explain the DX10 crashing issues you're having.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Problem was fixed after installing the latest DirectX drivers. Played through Crysis Warhead without a single crash, everything on Max details, no AA with a very pleasing FPS. ^_^

I checked the temp of the main core of the card. Without fan clocking it reaches to 80. Doesn't go beyond it, but it still seems pretty hot.

Should I OC the fan? If so, to how much? =o

By the way lol I was lazy to open the case and take some shots because it seems to be connected with the CPU cooling.
I'll do it though, once I'll have the patience for it. XD

I should install Fraps and get some vids and pics going... see how it handles recording while playing.

P.S.
Don't know if it's important but in the Vista Performance test, I got 5.9 base score (out of 10?). No idea what that means though. =S

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
5.9 is the max I think, in the info it states that a 5 is the score of the best PC available at vista's release

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I see =o I guess it's good then. I'm happy. ;_;

I'm getting two, very weird problems though. I hope you guys can help me sort it out. (Don't think there's a need for a separate topic):

1. I have COD4 and 5 installed atm. Both worked perfectly untill a few days ago. Now both are flickering badly ingame...
I have no idea what happened. I know I installed NFS Undercover and Web of Shadows, some windows updates and according to the System Restore data, it seems like I installed DirectX several times between those installations. However I made sure not to install it cause I have the latest DX Updates. I recall canceling those DX installations but it says otherwise.

At the moment, both COD4 and 5 are flickering like mad ingame, making it completely unplayable.

2. As I mentioned, I installed Web of Shadows a few days ago, and I know people have been having lag issues with it.
For me, it looks and works perfectly, except for one little thing. Every few seconds the ingame picture just freezes for a split second and then continues like nothing happened.
It has nothing to do with explosions like other people said, and I haven't had any lockups or consistent FPS drops. It runs really good except for that one little thing.

I should also mention that every time the picture freezes, I can hear the HDD (at least I think that it's the HDD) going quiet, and when the game continues, it makes noise normally again. Don't think it has anything to do with the HDD but just incase.

P.S.
I haven't patched the game yet cause I handed the game to my friend. x_x
But I'd still like to know if anyone has any idea about the case.

Hope you guys can help me out with this. I hate these things that are happening with no good reason. >_<
I can always try System Restore. It worked for me a few days ago when Farcry 2 was acting up due to something I installed afterward. But I am trying to avoid it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom