Need a new router. Advice and opinions wanted!

Best answers
Been using a Netgear RP614v1 router for the past 4+ years and I think this thing is on its last leg. Bit-torrent is now making the router crash, heavy gaming mixed with VOIP apps (IE Ventrilo or Teamspeak) brings it to the point of crashing.

Haven't had any problems with this thing in the 4+ years of its use, and a heavy lightning bolt is what I believe has damaged it. So I need a new one.

I've been on the hunt for a new one now, and a wireless one this time. Only two routers I've looked at stand out.

The D-Link DGL-4500 and the LINKSYS WRT54GL.

The D-Link's features is what draws me to it, but the ability to use custom firmware on the Linksys (DD-WRT or Tomato) make me want it.

Wanting a wireless router now so I can get rid of some of the extra cords in my house (like for my 360) and if I get a Wii or PS3, boom no need for wires.

I had thought about another Netgear router, but it seems that their wireless ones are a tad....flaky.

What do you guys think? I need a router that can handle bit-torrent and gaming. The D-Link seems to crash with bit-torrent due to overheating from the reviews I've read. I've had two different Linksys routers in the past that turned into nice bricks within a few months of ownership, so I'm leery of going back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom