My new baby!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
At the settings where Id said you required a 512MB card, it gave a tangible .3 fps increase.

29.1 fps, talk about a good playing experience.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Smith| said:
At the settings where Id said you required a 512MB card, it gave a tangible .3 fps increase.

29.1 fps, talk about a good playing experience.
Wow thats horrible, who would was the extra 100-200 for that....I wouldn't thats for sure.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, 6800 Ultra 256MB is final. As for CPU, I might switch it for a lower A64, but I'm not sure.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Smith| said:
Dual-Core will have hardly any improvements in games as games are just single-threaded. If anything, they'll actually decrease performance considering that the majority of the wallet-friendly dual core processors are lower clocked than single core processors, you'll be getting less performance anyways.

Also, the 512MB cards have almost 0 to none improvement in current games, and I can see the trend carrying over to next year's for a while.
Are STILL single threaded.

Although games with support for dual core wont be around for quite a while, they make windows/linux, browsing etc go faster.

And AMD dual cores wont be decreased in clockspeed.(So a dual 4000+ stays 2,4 ghz each core)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
Are STILL single threaded.

Although games with support for dual core wont be around for quite a while, they make windows/linux, browsing etc go faster.

And AMD dual cores wont be decreased in clockspeed.(So a dual 4000+ stays 2,4 ghz each core)
I'm sorry, but you're incorrect with the clock speeds.

Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4GHz 1MB $1001
Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 512KB $803
Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz 1MB $581
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz 512KB $537
And could you tell me what you ment by: "Are STILL single threaded"? Or were you just repeating what I said? :eek:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
Dual-Core will have hardly any improvements in games as games are just single-threaded. If anything, they'll actually decrease performance considering that the majority of the wallet-friendly dual core processors are lower clocked than single core processors, you'll be getting less performance anyways.

Also, the 512MB cards have almost 0 to none improvement in current games, and I can see the trend carrying over to next year's for a while.
when yoy think about it , it may be able to solve the one issue with sli8 , as it is , sli taxes the cpu a bit for it's resources

the 512mb cards will offer some fututre proofing , but it will depend on the buyer's choice , if they will switch platforms etc , if anything , longhorn is supposedly ment to have a 3d desktop , and supposedly , sm4 will be out when longhorn is released (i hope this is enough evidence to prove to you i'm not a fool when it comes to tech , but that i have differ views for differ resons etc)

btw , when the heck did u get the idea that i am an intel man , doesn't any1 remeber my amd inside image spooth of the intel inside logo 0_o ?

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Smith| said:
I'm sorry, but you're incorrect with the clock speeds.

And could you tell me what you ment by: "Are STILL single threaded"? Or were you just repeating what I said? :eek:
Yeah I just saw the decreasing in clock speeds.(Caches goes up)

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=7

Little multitasking gaming :p

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=13

Dual cores aint really slower in games and I meant still as in, it will change in the future(near) >_>

SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
when yoy think about it , it may be able to solve the one issue with sli8 , as it is , sli taxes the cpu a bit for it's resources

the 512mb cards will offer some fututre proofing , but it will depend on the buyer's choice , if they will switch platforms etc , if anything , longhorn is supposedly ment to have a 3d desktop , and supposedly , sm4 will be out when longhorn is released (i hope this is enough evidence to prove to you i'm not a fool when it comes to tech , but that i have differ views for differ resons etc)

btw , when the heck did u get the idea that i am an intel man , doesn't any1 remeber my amd inside image spooth of the intel inside logo 0_o ?
512 mb aint really future proofing and SM4 will be directx 10(as will be longhorn), so your directx 9 with 512 mb ram wont support that.

And for the quality textures you now can store in your 512 ram, you need a faster GPU core to render it fast enough.(Also by the time games will use 512 mb ram you prolly need a new videocard >_>)

So in other words, you are throwing your money away buying a 512 mb ram card.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or you could just get 2 6800 GT's SLI them together, and overclock to Ultra spec. saving £100 each and having more than adequate GPU power for ANY game in the next year.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
or you could just get 2 6800 GT's SLI them together, and overclock to Ultra spec. saving £100 each and having more than adequate GPU power for ANY game in the next year.
Or you could get the gigantic asus 6800gt sli card, with 2 gpus on one board, escentially 2 6800gt's into one card, its a beast. O_O :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
itr said:
Or you could get the gigantic asus 6800gt sli card, with 2 gpus on one board, escentially 2 6800gt's into one card, its a beast. O_O :p
don't you mean 6600gts , the gigabyte 3d1 , hell , the cooling system on that is stupid , the card heats up way to much , and who wants to go with gigabyte these days ? (i admit i like the idea of a blue pcb , but still)

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmm that is just a LITTLE bit beastly

can those be SLI'd so you can use 2 of them in series? (omg 4GPU's O_O)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, you can't. They use SLI right on the card to link the 2 GPUs together.
Devion said:
Yeah I just saw the decreasing in clock speeds.(Caches goes up)

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=7

Little multitasking gaming :p

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=13

Dual cores aint really slower in games and I meant still as in, it will change in the future(near) >_>
No, cache stays about the same (512K or 1MB). I really don't think the extra cache warrents a loss of 200MHz, but I guess it saves them some money.

And about the multitasking:
Our gaming multitasking test basically performs all of the tasks from our first Multitasking Scenario, with the exception of DVD Shrink. We have Firefox loaded with all 13 tabs from our new suite test, iTunes is running and playing a playlist, and Newsleecher is downloading headers. We kept Newsleecher in this test simply because it's the best way for us to be able to have a fairly CPU/disk intensive downloading task running in the background while still maintaining some semblance of repeatability. So, replace Newsleecher with BitTorrent or any other resource-consuming downloading that you may be doing and you're good to go. Note that although we refer to Newsleecher as disk-intensive, it isn't that disk intensive at all, like most downloading operations, in the grand scheme of things; it just acts as a good real world background task to have running.

Of course, Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta were also running in the background.
No one is every going to be in that situation if they're going to be playing such a demanding game as Doom 3, and you know it :p.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
hmmm that is just a LITTLE bit beastly

can those be SLI'd so you can use 2 of them in series? (omg 4GPU's O_O)
That would be quite amazing, but I think air cooling wouldn't work too much, watercooling would have to come for 4 6800gt gpu's. I can imagine 2 are hot enough, but double..... :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I said, though: "No, you can't. They use SLI right on the card to link the 2 GPUs together."

:O

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Smith| said:
As I said, though: "No, you can't. They use SLI right on the card to link the 2 GPUs together."

:O
I can dream can't I? ;) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom