My game crashes

Best answers
My game crashes while I was in the middle of the game using Goku in the map esf_city.

For what reason, I don't know what made it crash, the game crashes the moment I tried to fire a kamehameha beam but I got the following error msg:

This issue doesn't occur often, but once in a while.

Oh, and I was playing with bots.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What version are you running? 1.2.3 or the 1.3 open beta? If it's the open beta, that explains it. Bots aren't fully functional in 1.3 yet.

Best answers
1.2.3, I haven't used the beta yet. Also, I might as well as ask this question while I'm at it, what's the cvar to turn off bot chat?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
First of all, are you using Steam?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Geez....

Are you using Steam?

Are you using version 1.2.3 of ESF?

Are you trying to run any ESF add-ons?

What game are you trying to install ESF into?

Are you behind a router or firewall?

Are all your drivers updated?

What in-game video mode are you using?

If you have an error message, what is the exact error message?

No one uses this information any more, seems like Pain's stickies died when he left.

Best answers
Of course I'm using Steam.
I am using version 1.2.3 of ESF.
I'm not running any addons on ESF, except for playing against bots.
I installed ESF into half-life
It makes no difference whether I'm behind a router/firewall since I'm playing a LAN game by myself.
I'm positive that I've updated all of my drivers.
I'm using OpenGL mode.
The error msg would be the screenshot I posted above.

Mog

Best answers
Strange problem... I'm not sure I understand though, does it only happen with Goku and only when using kamehameha?
Or does this happen at other times too?

1.2.3, I haven't used the beta yet. Also, I might as well as ask this question while I'm at it, what's the cvar to turn off bot chat?
shouldbotschat 0
bot_chat_percent [number between 0 and 100]

I recommend using the bot personality editor if you like playing on LAN with bots.
You can change stuff like chatting with it too.
Bot personality editor: esf\esf_bot\BotEdit.exe

Best answers
It happened at other times as well, but that was just the error I got for this time.

It only seem to crash when I play with bots, it never crashed when I play online with other players.

I'll report back with more errors/bugs if they occur.
----------------
Edited: About the bot chat, it seems like the bots are still chatting after I have input the following cvars into my server.cfg
Code:
shouldbotschat 0
bot_chat_percent 0
Are you sure the cvar "shouldbotschat" is a valid cvar?

Mog

Best answers
How many bots are you using?
Even on decent computers, having a lot of bots can crash the game... but I don't think that error normally appears.

Are you sure the cvar "shouldbotschat" is a valid cvar?
You can check if it's a valid cvar by using it in console.
It will say something like "Bot chatting is now DISABLED."
Try typing an invalid cvar in console (eg. "botsshouldchat"). You will notice it says something similar to "cvar not found".
Typing just "shouldbotschat" in console will not do this, because it was found it will not say anything.

It is definitely the right cvar if you are playing ESF 1.2.3.
If you add a bot with custom personalities after you have changed that cvar, that bot will use his personality chat setting instead.
You can just use "shouldbotschat" cvar again to force those bots to use that cvar too.

If you use the bots in the open beta, most of the cvars are screwed up...
Most of them have been renamed and also don't work properly at the moment.
For the open beta, the "shouldbotschat" cvar has been renamed to "sv_botschat". :]

Best answers
Eh, it's still not working. We could forget about the bot chatting issue now since having them chat isn't a big deal to me at all. Anyways, let's get on-topic.

I am currently running 10 bots on my server. I guess that's where the problem is coming from, I'm also assuming that this is an un-fixable issue since bots are known to use up massive memories and often causes server to crash once in a while.

Another reason that I could think of that might be causing crashes is that the bots don't have waypoints for any of the standard maps except for esf_battlearena.

Just in case if I haven't made myself clear on what version of ESF I'm using:
I'm not using the beta version of ESF, I am using the current (stable) version of ESF -- ESF 1.2.3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom