Mosque at Ground Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Muslims" didn't blow up the WTC. Extremists did. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im with avenger ^^

You cant judge a religion based only on their extremists.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
By that standard, we would have to ban churches completely.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Provided they're progressive and won't try to murder someone for drawing a picture of Mohammed, go for it. I think we'll find most of the people who oppose this don't even live in NYC.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, there is no horrific reasoning behind it. I think it's just mostly disrespectful, in a way. Build it elsewhere, ground zero shouldn't have to have that.

I don't know, maybe I'm being extremely AMURRRRRRIKEN right now or something, but I don't know. yargh, I just think it's a dumb idea.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is it a dumb idea: No the idea to quell the hate for muslim people with a center where they can interact with non-muslims is great. Trying to bring different cultures together is allways a good idea especially if one culture is beeing disliked because of some extreme cases of said culture.

Reality: Itll get a lot of bashing due to the fact that people prejudge all muslims for terrorists after 9/11 especially seen in the US due to the fact that the US was the one that got attacked. People are to wound up in stereotypes. Its the same as what happend in WW2 where japanese americans who lived in that country for 2 or even 3 generations were prosecuted as spys, because japan attacked pearl harbor.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Honestly, there is no horrific reasoning behind it. I think it's just mostly disrespectful, in a way. Build it elsewhere, ground zero shouldn't have to have that.

I don't know, maybe I'm being extremely AMURRRRRRIKEN right now or something, but I don't know. yargh, I just think it's a dumb idea.
I'm not seeing how its disrespectful unless you're insinuating the muslim religion was behind the attacks I was 3 blocks away from. If I can get over it, so can you.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It would be more disrespectful to say that it shouldn't be allowed.

You should be proud that you're country is able to be so accepting of other faiths by not letting extremists ruin the good name of the muslim faith. After all, it's the self-proclaimed "melting pot" of the world. Treating a place of worship with such contempt just makes you look immature, prejudice and il-informed. If you're trying to build bridges with the middle east, getting all angsty about one mosque will just help fuel extremist propaghanda and perpetuate the idea that Americans persecute Muslims.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Generally speaking, NYC may as well be another planet as far as the rest of the country is concerned. What the city does isn't an extension of federal foreign policy. It serves its own interests and the interests of the population therein. That said, it isn't Europe either. We're not about to start banning burkas and minarets because of what happened 9 years ago.

Should the mosque be built, it won't be because we're "building bridges" or trying to manipulate global perception. If it's built, it's because it was the right thing to do, and there was probably profit to be had in the long term.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I know it isn't the intention to change perceptions or manipulate global perception, it will still be viewed that way since the location is quite poignant. What i was hoping to get across was that instead of taking the view of it being some kind of discraceful insult to the dead, that it should be celebrated to show how open and multicultural the place is.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I am not against the choice to build a Mosque there, I do believe it would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. Fact is, there is a group of Americans that blame Muslims for 9/11, not the extremist. If they build a Mosque at Ground Zero, it will most likely be burned down by those people, or destroyed in a different way. And it will only throw more fuel on the fire and enrage both Muslims, extremists, and that particular group of Americans.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well... It is the land of the "free". I guess its a matter of, if they can take the hatred and racism they will get.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's most certainly disrespectful, it's a publicity stunt to try and prove to the world that "We're okay that muslim extremists blew up our city."

Why build a Mosque? Why not a Church or a Synagogue. Why not make it a garden with a big-ass plaque that honours those that were killed? The reason anybody would even suggest a Mosque is a bogus attempt at trying to smooth over relations between typical Americans and the Muslim faith. Ground zero should be a monument to those that were killed, not a place of worship. I wouldn't want people worshipping in the same place where friends and/or family of mine were killed. That's why it's disrespectful, cause those that wish to pay their respects to lost ones will find a place of worship for (likely) another faith.

It's got nothing to do with religion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's most certainly disrespectful, it's a publicity stunt to try and prove to the world that "We're okay that muslim extremists blew up our city."
Muslims are building that mosque, not Muslim extremists. Learn the difference. If Zeo doesn't find it disrespectful, why the hell should you?

Why build a Mosque? Why not a Church or a Synagogue. Why not make it a garden with a big-ass plaque that honours those that were killed? The reason anybody would even suggest a Mosque is a bogus attempt at trying to smooth over relations between typical Americans and the Muslim faith. Ground zero should be a monument to those that were killed, not a place of worship. I wouldn't want people worshipping in the same place where friends and/or family of mine were killed. That's why it's disrespectful, cause those that wish to pay their respects to lost ones will find a place of worship for (likely) another faith.
The people building the mosque, or heading up the project, are Muslims. I don't think it's strange that they don't build a church or a synagogue. What they're building is going to be a community center as well as a mosque. Why is it a bad idea to "smooth over relations" between Muslims and "typical Americans"? It's like you're setting a barrier between Muslims and Christians and Jews and think it should stay there.

It's not being built on Ground Zero either, it's being built next to Ground Zero, so your "disrespectful" argument doesn't really work.

It's got nothing to do with religion.
Right. That's why you suggested other religions' places of worship than that of the Muslim faith.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Muslims are building that mosque, not Muslim extremists. Learn the difference. If Zeo doesn't find it disrespectful, why the hell should you?
Last I checked, I'm not Zeo, so if my natural reaction is to find it disrespectful then that's what has happened. Just because somebody else doesn't find it disrespectful, doesn't mean nobody else can find it disrespectful. Also, since Muslim extremists blew up the WTC, why do they need to build a Mosque for non-extremists? Non-extremists didn't blow anything up therefore a place of worship for them has no relevance in that location, why not build it elsewhere? It's only as I said in my first post, a ploy to pretend everything is okay.

The people building the mosque, or heading up the project, are Muslims. I don't think it's strange that they don't build a church or a synagogue. What they're building is going to be a community center as well as a mosque. Why is it a bad idea to "smooth over relations" between Muslims and "typical Americans"? It's like you're setting a barrier between Muslims and Christians and Jews and think it should stay there.
It may not be a bad idea to smooth relations, and if I gave off that impression it was not my intent. What I disagree with is the "cheap" nature of smoothing these relations by building a Mosque next to the ground zero. It doesn't solve anything, it just covers up the underlying problem that typical Americans have with Muslims.

It's not being built on Ground Zero either, it's being built next to Ground Zero, so your "disrespectful" argument doesn't really work.

Right. That's why you suggested other religions' places of worship than that of the Muslim faith.
Learn2Read please.

It's got nothing to do with religion because it could be anything that they build there. Not just a Mosque or not just a Church or not just a Synagogue or not just a park (which in my opinion would be the best thing for that spot). The fact that they want to build a Mosque there and so close to the place where thousands of people were killed is disrespectful, that location should remain undisturbed as a reminder to what happened there and out of respect for those that died. Nobody should be allowed to worship there be it Muslim, Christian or Jew.

If they really wanted to bring all religions closer together in peace and harmony they wouldn't segregate one particular religious communities place of worship. They would either make some kind of combined location for all races and creeds to gather, or individual houses of worship for each religion. I return to my previous point, this is a cheap ploy. If you fail to understand/agree with anything else I've said, please at least try to understand that point.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
First off, if a group of anti-muslims burn down a mosque in the middle of the financial district, they become the enemy. This would only further serve to solidify moderate muslim-everyone else relations.

Secondly, I don't want to hear any bull**** about a mosque being disrespectful to the dead, but hey, synagogues are cool. Its all or nothing. THAT is equality. We already have a memorial and more are in the pipeline to honor the dead. What good does building more do us? Does it change what happened or alter the conditions that made the attack possible in the first place? Obviously not. If allowing the construction of a mosque by the site doesn't convey our resilience, I don't know what will.

Its not that big of a deal, gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom