More problems, /sigh

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Okay, so I've been asking a few people, and I've been looking through the forums, but I can't seem to find a solution to this problem I've been having with ESF since day one.

Whenever I join another persons server, everything lags. But the problem is, I'm not lagging.

Strange, no?

What happens is, I'll join another persons server, and then my FPS will start to lag (the game even lags when I'm at 60 FPS), and so will my ping. But the problem is that my FPS is at a constant 60, and my ping is constantly below 100 (I only go on servers where my ping will be below 100, not like it really matters though with this problem, because I lag anyway).

Animations/characters are all chugging across my screen, as if I was running the game at like 5 FPS, even though I'm at 60.

So to explain it in simpler terms, the in-game FPS counter shows 60 FPS, but the game feels like it is running at 5 FPS.

The game also feels like it is running at like 500 ms on every server I join, even when it's around 50 ms. My characters response time to keyboard strokes is horrible.

This happens on every server I join, except my own.

Whenever I make my own server, I have absolutely no problems (excluding that crashing problem I have from the other thread, /sigh). My FPS will read 60, and it'll run like 60. And of course, since it's my own server, I won't lag.

But it is fairly annoying, not being able to join any other server because of this issue. I'm always having to resort to making my own, then fiddling with my thumbs until someone joins, since bots crash servers apparently.

I was wondering if there was a fix for this or something? Or if anyone has issues like this as well?

JTM

Formerly Fatality
Best answers
Try reinstalling. Other than that, I dunno what to tell you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
^Not that. It's a serverside issue.

How bad exactly is the lag? like, usually online has a bigger lag difference then LAN.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
^Not that. It's a serverside issue.

How bad exactly is the lag? like, usually online has a bigger lag difference then LAN.
The lag makes the game unplayable. Even the simplest thing like flying becomes cumbersome, because of the choppy/chugging animations and response time to keyboard strokes.

Whenever I make my own server though, I would do it with the "Create Server" option on the ESF main menu. Also, all of my servers are internet servers, and not LAN ones.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does your computer meet the minimum requirements for playing the game?
it must, he hits 60 fps.

I really don't know what it could be. The game always has a little lag. Like a quick point of a second lag when swooping and hitting, but the way you describe it, it sounds like it's a megaton of lag.

Question, if you swoop, how many seconds pass before you start to actually swoop? I'm not sure if you're used to the lag or if it's just really bugged or bad.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
it must, he hits 60 fps.

I really don't know what it could be. The game always has a little lag. Like a quick point of a second lag when swooping and hitting, but the way you describe it, it sounds like it's a megaton of lag.

Question, if you swoop, how many seconds pass before you start to actually swoop? I'm not sure if you're used to the lag or if it's just really bugged or bad.
Video card=8800 GTS 512
CPU=C2D E6850 (3GHz)
RAM=4GBs @ 800Mhz

So yeah...

Anywho, it takes about two seconds before my character responds to any keyboard strokes. Which means, when I double tap my W key to dash forward, he'll only do it about two seconds after the second stroke. When I hit my E key to power up, he doesn't power up until about two seconds later, etc etc.

I'm also fairly used to lag, since I play nothing but online-type games. I'm what you would call an MMOlcoholic <_< (which doesn't change the fact that WoW can go die in a fire).

On most ESF-type online games (like an FPS, where you choose a server from a list, and join a room), I have absolutely no problem playing with a ping of 100 ms, or even 200 ms. I don't even notice the lag for the most part. But on ESF, even with a ping of 15 ms or 16 ms, the game just becomes totally unplayable.

EDIT: No offense meant to Mr.Lukyas, I didn't notice his sig until after I made the WoW comment >_>.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you have any addons installed?

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try and create a server and see if you lag on that. If you do, we have some issues. If not, it could be a rates problem or connection problem etc.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I do not have any addons installed on ESF.

Also, as I said in my first post, I only make my own servers because that is the only time I don't lag, is when I'm on a server I make myself.

So whenever I join another persons server=I will lag.
Whenever I make a server myself, and go on it=I won't lag.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then, I'd say it's your ISP's fault. What internet package are you taking?

I know this may sound silly, but do perhaps have dial-up internet :O

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Then, I'd say it's your ISP's fault. What internet package are you taking?

I know this may sound silly, but do perhaps have dial-up internet :O
Nope, not using dial-up.

I have Cox Cable's high speed internet package.

I went ahead and ran the download/upload test on testmy.net, and the results are...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
**** that's good speed ;o

Then I really give up. Could be that you've just picked a wrong servers :p
lol D:

EDIT: I also tried to set some of the different rates through the console on ESF earlier today, but those didn't seem to work either.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I had a similar issue when running ESF on a DirectX10 Video card.. maybe DX10 is an ass when it comes to the HL engine.
Try disabling stuff like AA or AF.
Does HL run good on your comp?

Check your connection settings in your Steam options.

Other than that.. idk

good luck

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I had a similar issue when running ESF on a DirectX10 Video card.. maybe DX10 is an ass when it comes to the HL engine.
Try disabling stuff like AA or AF.
Does HL run good on your comp?

Check your connection settings in your Steam options.

Other than that.. idk

good luck
When you were running ESF with a DX10 card, did you have a DX10 compatible OS as well (Vista/7)? Or were you using another OS that didn't support it?

Reason why I ask is because I'm using an OS that doesn't support DX10 (XP Pro), so I was wondering if that might be a factor as well.

I have both AA and AF disabled though, for ESF/HL1.

Also, HL1/Opposing Force/Blue Shift all ran flawlessly when I went through SP mode.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Reason why I ask is because I'm using an OS that doesn't support DX10 (XP Pro), so I was wondering if that might be a factor as well.
Thats probably the reason why. I tested a bootleg hack DX10 for XP a while back and made my HL1 games run like crap.

Rollback to DX9 to fix the FPS issue.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Thats probably the reason why. I tested a bootleg hack DX10 for XP a while back and made my HL1 games run like crap.

Rollback to DX9 to fix the FPS issue.
Ah, sorry, I might have phrased a few sentences wrong in my last post. Meant to ask if a DX10 card on a plain (untweaked) DX9 OS would cause any problems with HL1/ESF.

I wasn't sure if when you were having the problems with HL1/ESF, you were using a DX10 card with a DX10 OS, or if you were using a DX10 card on a DX9 OS.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try playing just plain Half-life and see what happens when you enter a server.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Try playing just plain Half-life and see what happens when you enter a server.
Half-Life 1 runs like a charm online, even when I join another persons server.

It runs great, and my characters response time to keyboard strokes is about as accurate as it is when I make my own server.

I went ahead and joined a server where my ping was above 100, and it still ran good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom