Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is all part of HDCP, which I have a link regarding in my sig. It basically has to do with HD content.. If you're not using approved devices, you can't view high-res protected content. So what if you bought a super-expensive HDTV when they first came out? You're BEEP out of luck.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Woo hoo! Haha eat that hollywood *****es! I don't have a T.V ^.^

So pretty much everything is going to be in High Def, and unless you have a badass T.V you need to buy a new one.

Well, i suppose we should have seen this coming. It's like going from black and white to color.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They think i'm the richest person alive? I still have some crappy tv in my room that is atleast 12yrs old or so & a standard 68cm tv in my loungeroom that iv'e had since 2002.

I guess I can enter the lottery or hold up a bank if money is a problem, or pull some internet money making scheme if all else fails =P.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
So pretty much everything is going to be in High Def, and unless you have a badass T.V you need to buy a new one.
It's worse than that. Even if you have a badass 50" Plasma HDTV, it won't have the right connections to play protected HD content.

Article said:
If you purchased an HDTV more than a couple of years ago, chances are you are using Component Video (the red, green, and blue plugs) to connect HD sources to your TV. Component Video is an analog transmission, which means that it can't work with the absurdly stringent AACS copy-protection Hollywood has insisted be integrated into the new formats.
Good job, the world.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
It's worse than that. Even if you have a badass 50" Plasma HDTV, it won't have the right connections to play protected HD content.

Good job, the world.
It's as almost if they did not give a rat's arse about the consumer and there expectations. They saw one thing here and say "THIS IS GOING TO BE READY FOR THIS, GO BUY IT NOW" & then they change something and say "THIS IS REQUIRED FOR THIS, GO BUY IT WE WANT YOU MONEY NOW!!!!"

I honestly try to wonder how they sleep at night =/.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, people deserve this, for stealing movies so much.

The technique is simple--you need the equipment to look at the good stuff. I think it's plenty fair...otherwise you'd have every jackass and their mother torrenting episodes of Lost and Desperate Housewives to their ipod videos completely for free and entirely to the detriment of the people who created said intellectual properties.

I have patiently waited for the days when the industry starts to turn in order to adapt to that thievery. It's taken far too long, but I am pretty sure this is the beginning of it. Before long the copy protection will be so balls awesome that all the idiots who paid 400 bucks for their ipod videos' 1.5 inch screens will be beating their heads against brick walls at their own stupidity for wasting a week's pay on that flavor of the month piece of crap.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's flawed logic. Just because some people download/torrent copyrighted material doesn't mean everyone should be punished for it by having to pay through the ass. There's got to be easier ways of dealing with internet piracy than the methods mentioned in the article.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Really?

Spending an insane amount for a TV which WAS HDTV ready and now isnt.
Nice logic you have there.

If you are against thievery, then lets have a look at the insane prices they ask for brand new DVDs.
Hollywood is just like microsoft, a freaking monopoly. Or you could describe Hollywood as a huge cartel, which is basicly the same.
They are keeping the prices of DVDs ARTIFICALLY, way too high.
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
The technique is simple--you need the equipment to look at the good stuff. I think it's plenty fair...otherwise you'd have every jackass and their mother torrenting episodes of Lost and Desperate Housewives to their ipod videos completely for free and entirely to the detriment of the people who created said intellectual properties.
Software can easily be cracked and converted, that little software protection isnt going to help.
Everybody will stay be able to download the content. Hell they could convert it to normal formats ;x. Ok, that takes the advantage of HDTV away, but you can still just view it.
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I have patiently waited for the days when the industry starts to turn in order to adapt to that thievery. It's taken far too long, but I am pretty sure this is the beginning of it. Before long the copy protection will be so balls awesome that all the idiots who paid 400 bucks for their ipod videos' 1.5 inch screens will be beating their heads against brick walls at their own stupidity for wasting a week's pay on that flavor of the month piece of crap.
Are you full of hatred or frustration who just have fun with their Ipod's?

You wont stop EVER stop digital thievery. It was already there with the cassette and its not going to stop.
The wise thing is to do is to drop the prices, to normal prices of which the musician can live and the consumer isnt getting robbed.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I agree that piracy is wrong in almost all cases, I think it's asinine to make your PAYING consumers buy all new equipment, from your desktop computer, laptop computer, surround sound decoding device, switchbox, cable tv box, vcr, dvd, monitor and now your TV. Also note that hollywood is now pressuring the tech companies to make it so that you don't even get a reduced quality image, you just get a reminder to line intel's pockets with cash. (Intel owns the patents to this DRM scheme, and will be charging everyone else to carry licenses.)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:

I don't think what they're doing is right--and it's not justified by digital piracy. Believe it or not, most experts believe digital piracy has very little effect on the profits of the entertainment industry for several reasons: Some people who pirate digitally still buy legitimate copies (like myself), others are only downloading and wouldn't have bought it anyway, so they're not losing any money to begin with. Granted, there are people who steal because they don't have to pay. But things like 'Lost' and 'Desperate Housewives' are given away over TV waves to begin with, there's just no ads.

The problem with HDCP is that:
It's punishing the people loyal to the entertainment industry by making them buy -another- HDTV, despite already having shelled out thousands of dollars to begin with.
Most people's equipment that they have is ALREADY capable of displaying HDTV signals--these standards are forcing people to re-buy their equipment for no good reason, especially considering that DRM technologies have never, in the history of mankind, been able to stand up to hard-core hackers trying to circumvent it. DRM is an impossibility long-term because the amateur, "third party hackers" are more innovative than the stuffy, short-term thinking of the computer programmers these companies hire.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So from this, is it right to download all you want if you buy their hardware? Thats what I got from it, you jump through their hoops so you can download with a clean conscience. They may be sending me the wrong message here...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...What? HDCP just makes it so if you're trying to view HD content from a next-gen DVD source, unless you're using hardware equipped with the HDCP technology, it will either artificially reduce the quality or not let you play it at all.

It's a problem because many people quickly bought the expensive HDTVs before HDCP had been thought of, and are screwed over in the next-gen. Their equipment is capable of playing the material, but won't be able to because of the HDCP requirement.

There will be ways to circumvent it, like all DRM schemes, though. Let me make one thing clear: It's only a matter of time (and a short time, at that) before the protection is broken, and people can download HD content just as they wanted.

So who does the DRM scheme punish? NOT THE PIRATERS! It punishes people trying to buy things -legitimately-, which is ridiculous!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I agree with your point, Alea, that it does punish people who've already bought HD stuff...in all honesty, did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the next-gen level of HDCP is just not possible on a 'gen one' HDTV? THe same way, say, a VCR can't play a DVD, or a tapedeck can't play a CD? It just seems a lot more likely that this is the case, to me.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some of them are--as long as they can accept and reproduce a 1080p image. They're artificially limiting the Blueray/HD-DVD players so they won't work on any machines not compliant with their copyright standards.

Like I said, though--this won't stop the piraters, because people find a way around everything. It's a silly, poorly thought out plan and all it's going to manage to do is generate a ton of bad press all the parties involved--as well as screw over anyone who wants to go at it 'legitimately.'

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
While I agree with your point, Alea, that it does punish people who've already bought HD stuff...in all honesty, did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the next-gen level of HDCP is just not possible on a 'gen one' HDTV? THe same way, say, a VCR can't play a DVD, or a tapedeck can't play a CD? It just seems a lot more likely that this is the case, to me.
Did you read the article? There is little substantial gain in resolution from the composite analog connection to the HDCP connection. I read that as meaning that new tech was invented to protect copyrights, not deliver breakthrough image. Composite is already breakthrough image, each color is carried on shielded wire, as are the audio channels. HDCP adds almost nothing to this other than making the process purely digital.

Regardless, HDCP does not change the way image is displayed on HDTV. It is still 1040p, no new spec was issued, which means your acertaition is completely wrong. HD-DVD and BluRay could indeed be displayed on gen one HDTV, provided Hollywood wasn't grasping at straws to solve their budget issues. Piracy is wrong, but it was never their problem, and it never will be.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True. HDMI, the wires/connection that carry the HDCP technology, are basically just plain old DVI cables, with audio cables bundled in. It's my understanding that both DVI and HDMI(HDCP's application) are functionally equal, video-quality wise.

I've been using DVI hook-up from my 9800XT for years now. :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom