more computer troubles...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My pc has been crashing when exposed to small amounts of 3D, and sometimes on restart. I also get the nv4_disp.dll blue screen sometimes. I have a geforce 6200a, I have had it for a bit over a month now and had a small problem with it at first but after fixing it using old stable drivers (84.21) and was able to play HL2 on the highest settings with no problem, no crashing or massive frame rate drops. Now I can't even run CS 1.6 without the computer locking up (sometimes audio still plays normally in the background for a min, then plays in a loop). I'm not sure if it's my card causing it to happen or if its my system.

The only other thing that might have something to do with it is my power supply, which seems to be going (one of the fans in it died too). I just don't see a faulty power supply causing something like this to happen. But the video card works normally until I play a 3D game.

Also, I tried taking out the video card and running with my on board. It runs ok, but seems kinda sketchy (screen shakes like you have a fan or something plugged into the same outlet as a crt, but I have an lcd). I remember playing on my on board just fine for a few months and being able to play cs 1.6, but this time around I get 12 fps on every video mode (15fps on software mode though :shocked: )

Anyone have any idea what could be going on? I dont have the money to replace my entire system, so I want to find out what is causing it and replace just that. Just incase it is my videocard i'm sending it back for a replacement.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I have seen this problem a few times, but I cant remember completely how I dealt with it right now, I ll have to think about it

But try these for now.

What motherboard do you have?

Im assumming your using Windows XP

First go here and download the newest drivers. Save to somewhere youll find it easily. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html

uninstall the old drivers, go to control panel > add or remove programs find the Nvidia driver and remove them. Then restart the computer.

If anything pops up saying new hardware found just cancel it.

Install the driver you downloaded earlier, after it finishes installing restart the computer.

Test it out.

If that didnt help.

Try this: Start > Run type in dxdiag > click yes. Goto the Display tab then click on Test DirectDraw after you get through that click Test Direct3D.

Does it crash during any of the tests?

If so try updating DirectX.

If it still doesnt work, get into the bios for your motherboard and try setting the Apg to 4x if you can. Try that out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried all of that :p. And yes, i'm using windows xp. It never crashed on simple 3d like the directx tests or 3d studio max, but when I played games like CS 1.6, RE4 or MGS2 it crashed in order of detail in each game. CS crashed after a few mins of play, MGS2 crashed after about one min of play and RE4 crashed immediately after loading a game. Im going to send the card back for a refund tomorrow and go pick out another one, I knew something bad would happen when the day after I ordered the card they stopped selling them...

After removing the card and playing CS and RE4 on my onboard I think its safe to say it was the card :(. Thanks for the help though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It may also be your (half) broken PSU. The card may be doing weird things because it doesn't get a constant supply of power.
When I bought a new card I had artifacts in almost all games.
I sent the card back and got a new one and nothing changed. After I changed the PSU it worked (and still does).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom