Moon Base.

Should man go back to the moon.

• Yes, It would be cool to go back.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the money should be spent on better stuff.

• I'm not sure.

• Total voters
Best answers
a moon base sounds like a good idea, if youre into that sort of thing.

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/<----national debt(copy and paste)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What in the hell are most of you people -babbling- about? Bombing the moon and nuking mars? Most specifically, Dr. Funk, bombarding Mars with nuclear fire would not make it a -more- hospitable enviroment. It's called nuclear -WINTER- for a reason, not nuclear Summer.

There is water on Mars in the icecaps. Blackening the thin atmosphere isn't magically going to make the ice -melt-, and we'd never pointlessly bombard Mars with nuclear fire.

As for people making the decisions, the people who do make the decisions are far more educated then a single person posting in this forum, unless someone can produce engineering degrees from MIT and doctorates from Yale.

Regardless of what you may or may not think of the Bush Administration, NASA has little to do with any individual passing administration.

The exploration and colonization of space is one of the few things the human race has "left to do," and if we wanted to ensure a number of things, such as progress as a species, ensured survival, etc, space exploration and colonization should be a primary concern.

Unfortunately, as things stand now, people aren't going to drop dead from not being on the moon, or on Mars, so until exploration becomes somewhat -necessary-, it will probably be very slow going until we happen to get a President who is interested in it, and has wide support for it in congress and senate to approve more funding for NASA.

Public opinion obviously drops for NASA when tragedies happen such as the shuttle over Texas a few years ago, and the Challenger shuttle. But, with the newly designed (still being designed, I believe) shuttle, perhaps space travel will be more cost efficient and safe in the future, and perhaps our grandchildren or great grandchildren might work or live in space, but we don't really know, do we?

The last thing we need is for a bunch of thirteen year olds to go off rambling about how Bush plans to "Bomb the moon," but then again, ignorance is very easy to spout off, because those who are ignorant don't usually care if they are or not. Nice people to deal with.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
The last thing we need is for a bunch of thirteen year olds to go off rambling about how Bush plans to "Bomb the moon," but then again, ignorance is very easy to spout off, because those who are ignorant don't usually care if they are or not. Nice people to deal with.

Agreed. Nobody is going to bomb to the moon. Get off of it.

Y'all don't know what you're talking about. This thread is turning too political. Get it back on topic or I'll put a hole in it.

Best answers
The suprising thing about the Moon Base is that it wouldn't cost that much if we just updated our propulsion technology. If we started using fusion or even fission rockets it would be easier, however we're still using the same technology as was used in the 60s. Thanks to the Geneva Convention though this can't be done so this project seems out of reach for the moment.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As it has been stated here before, countries like Japan, China and England are reportedly entering the space age. Including our counter-part Russia, we could really push towards an international space station. Where we could experiment on rocket propulsion "in" space. A new method is the key in my eyes as well.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
can't destroy the moon, it's what keeps earth's seasons they way they are, it stabilizes the axis. If the moon were to be destroyed we'd not only have to worry about the remains crashing down on us, but very extreme seasonal changes. It'd the Tropics of Cancer and such wouldn't be at around 23 degrees, but much much higher and... so yes, no bombing the moon. Bombing the moon was a political joke. and as Sonic said, no more politics.

I believe it would be interesting for a new base to be set up on the moon. Too bad we won't live long enough to see just how putting a base on the moon will effect the space race.

Best answers
Man, a base in the moon. It'd be cool if he was doing it for the right reasons, but come on, it's Bush we're talking about here, would he do something for the RIGHT reasons?

He gets 2 things out of this:

1) All the hype about a moon base will all be credited to him, he'll get it all, no matter who's president during that time.
2) A place assured in the history books, as if he already isn't in there indexed by 'Dumbest President Ever'.

Now spending the money on something decent, there's something I'm up for. Mars shows endless possibilities, but it seems to me that Bush is going to try to do something cheaper such as going to the moon and hopefully restarting the moon hype of the late 60's and early 70's.

Retired
Best answers
yes destroying to moon would also make us tumble into space, and makes our axis skew 90 degrees..meaning we would all die, thank you.

and if you want to go to mars, You ARE going to need the moon to do it, as a small 'checkpoint'. it would make it a lot easier for the pilots to go to mars from a base on the moon really.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
right thats the biggest step that a moon base makes

just look at the lunar landings with out them we wouldnt have the information to send things to mars and then ultimatly later send people to mars

a base on the moon is a good thing and should deffinitly be made

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
a quicker and less costly method would be to build a space station that rotated around the moon as well. I agree with Judge. It would be a quick and easy check point. The moon base could be storage and plan b if the space station becomes an unstable position.

Best answers
Hwoarang said:
a quicker and less costly method would be to build a space station that rotated around the moon as well. I agree with Judge. It would be a quick and easy check point. The moon base could be storage and plan b if the space station becomes an unstable position.
didnt you read what Hibiki said?

If we never landed on the moon we wouldnt of had the technology to land on mars.

If we dont have a base on the moon, we wont have the technology to have a base on mars.

Best answers
wouldn t it be handy if they made a canon that would be shot into the air and would make an atmosphere.
and then america builds big robots that can fly into space and they will call them "gundams"
These "gundams" then would be made of a metal far superior then any metal know on earth,
and a war will break out with robots that can fly and fight and they have canons on their arms that have the power of a nucelair bomb, but thats ok because theirs a lot of space in space
and maybe they have laser swords
maybe...

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe we can all make sensible comments like everyone else is doing.

I personally think the moon base is a good idea. It's human nature to explore and there's nother to explore here. A moon base could help us learn more about the moon and ultimatly be the launching base for mars.

Cost is an issue though. It costs the same amount to send 1 group of humans as it does 6 robots. It will most likely be a world effort. Or atleast the commonwealth and allied countries.

Best answers
A Moon base would be good to reduce Martian Expedition Costs. The fact that it's Escape Velocity is much lower than Earth's would mean money could be saved on fuel and rocket size. The Moon Base isn't that expensive compared to whats spent on the military by most countries, so if people became more interested in exploration for a while, it might be accomplished.

Best answers
not only is the escape velocity less that earths, but you can use it as a refueling points while going to mars.

Best answers
hell no, what if there was an invasion and they used MOST of their money for space traveling and not trying to defend the country, think about what i sed plz!!

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hwoarang said:
i have no idea how i contradicted Hibiki. obviously this is some type of attempt at a flame session. of course we would have to experiment on the moon before we moved on to mars.

here's an artist render of what i think the moon base could possibly look like
http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/mars/lunarbases/hires/s89_26097.jpg
The moon would serve as an invaluable re-fueling station in order to get to mars, it takes an incredible amount of fuel to escape the earth's gravitational field.

I found another artists rendition

Best answers
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God thats a first. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom