Mirror map?

Best answers
Sorry to be a newb and make a help topic but im really stuck here.

I model alot of weapons/vehicles etc and to save space when uv'ing I'd like to learn how I can mirror parts.

Anyone know how? tbh i've really got no clue as im still new to skinning and anything that comes with it.

Sorry if this has been asked before and thanks for any help.

Thanks all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm its like when you´re mirroring a mesh... just select the weapon, cut it in 2 pieces and then let one side flip horizontal and then overlay it over the other piece.

at poopinmymouth.com is a tut wich explains how uvw maps could be done better.

Best answers
Cheers Try, i'll check the site out and see what I find.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you model symetrical objects and weapons then mirroring Uvs is a must and very easy.

All you need to do in that case, if you model half of the model UV that side, then copy and mirror it over, then both sides will share the same UV map. If you are not then its a bit mroe tricky. Think of it as two objects sharing the same are on the map, overlaping eachother. You need to find the areas that are symetrical, then (I only know how to in max) you can mirror it by selecting the part you want to mirror in the UV map editor, you may need to flip it vertically or horizontally to match up with the other parts, then make it overlap with the other parts that are exactly the same.

I am not sure how to explain it any other way. Hope that helps.

[edit]

[shoots tryforce]

Best answers
Thanks Enix that helps alot mate, I had an idea it was like that but wanted to make sure.

For example my Enfield rifle, as the wood stock is the same your saying I should just texture half all the way down to the barrel?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i would map the wood stock not mirrored , i would take a top and bottom map of it then merge them.

but if you´re mapping somthing like a sword you just can take a front uvwmap.

[shotos back]

Best answers
Ah I see Try, thanks mate i'll have to play around with the enfield model tonight and see what I do.

This whole skinning lark is more work then modeling to me lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom