Microsoft Announces Xbox 360 Price

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What the hell are you talking about?

Don't forget people, Sony are doing pretty much the same thing with the PS3. Although we don't know the specific details or price, it is known that they're releasing the 'lite' (or 'regular') package for casual gamers and the full blown media-center-esque version for a higher price. I really don't think it's that surprising seing as Sony released that info weeks before Microsoft announced this, and the two companies are in direct competition for the next-gen console market.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't like the XBox, and the 360 doesn't look that interesting to me either. And this is just one more reason why I wouldn't want one.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Engar said:
So over £300 for console plus game? Yeah.. right..

Let's be blunt here. The £209 version is nothing more than an excuse for Microsoft to say 'We came into the next generation at as low as £209, how great are we?!' Anyone who actually wants to enjoy their 360 is going to pay the higher price. And you can tell Microsoft are thinking that way. They don't even like the people who buy the cheap one.

What does the difference between getting a wired controller and a wireless controller say to me? It says that Microsoft has no respect for the gamers who won't splurge £300 on a computer game.
That statement is baseless. You act like Microsoft is screwing over the people who don't buy the deluxe version. The original X-Box didn't come with a HD component cable, wireless controllers, the x-box live headset, or the DVD remote.

All the deluxe version does is put the original X-Box and the extra components in a box. The "209.99" price was an effort by Microsoft to show that they were once again willing to sell the XB360 at the same price they sold the original for. If they're in a price war with Sony, who has already admitted that the PS3 will be very expensive, then this was a smart business decision. Not one that says "they have no respect for gamers."

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
What's the difference in price between a wireless controller and a wired controller? Is there any? Not in store price but in the cost of actually producing one. I'd wager that the difference is nearly non-existant and if that really is the case what 'smart business decision' led to stiffing those who buy the cheaper console?

Denying people a wireless controller is nothing more than a way of taking a poke at gamers with smaller wallets, of manipulating them into spending more money. They're handing out a substandard product - minus the £30 memory card, as has already been said - but pricing it the same as the original XBox. That I would call disrespect.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Who cares? I'd rather have a wired controller, so I don't HAVE to worry about wires.

The 100$ difference from the normal and deluxe versions doesn't come from the controller alone. They're just trying to make it more appetizing. Not everybody likes wireless controllers. I consider wireless as substandard, anyway.

Pricing the stand-alone XB360 at the same price as the original is far from handing out a 'substandard' product. It's far superior to any of the current systems, plus you're getting it for the same exact price you got one of the last ones for without taking inflation of any kind into account. The only difference regarding components between the original X-box and the normal version XB360 is the hard-drive. If you call giving consumers options as "disrespect," then the word I used earlier, "baseless," was an apt description.

In any case, nothing is stopping a person from buying the stand-alone, and picking and choosing the extra components they want, which is what I'll be doing if I buy one.

Best answers
Just checked Wikipedia. The Xbox was launched for £299 over here, meaning that even the premium version is actually cheaper than the original one was at launch.
The lack of any ability to save aside, I agree with Alea here. I find it pretty difficult to contemplate how offering a cheaper version of the console is a bad thing. Would you prefer they didn't offer it at all?

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Consider the story of the two men and their boots.. (My apologies to Terry Pratchett for borrowing this one.)

Two men, approaching middle-age, are each in need of a new pair of boots.

The first man is rich. He goes to a good shoe shop and purchases an expensive pair of leather boots. Satisfied with his purchase he goes on to wear them every day. And, as they are an exceptionally good pair, he does not need to replace them for many years.

The second man is poor. He goes to a bad shoe shop and purchases a less than adequate - but affordable - pair of boots. These boots are poorly made but since he has no others he is forced to wear them just like the first man. Within half a year they have worn away around his feet and he must, once again, purchase a pair of poor but affordable boots. And so it goes on for many years.

By the end of these years the rich man has bought one pair of boots. The poor man has bought dozens and, cheap though they were, the combined amount far exceeds what the rich man has ever and would ever dream of paying.

My point is that the cheaper XBox only provides customers the choice to spend more money. Half of the 'extras' are neccasary to enjoy the console and, in purchasing them, they will push far past the Deluxe price. I stand by my oppinion that the cheaper 360 is nothing more than a gimmic designed take advantage of the slightly worse off and make the company look good.

A cunning business tactic, I quite agree.

Best answers
My point is that the cheaper XBox only provides customers the choice to spend more money. Half of the 'extras' are neccasary to enjoy the console and, in purchasing them, they will push far past the Deluxe price. I stand by my oppinion that the cheaper 360 is nothing more than a gimmic designed take advantage of the slightly worse off and make the company look good.
Eh? If someone thinks they'll want the extra features in the future, then they should go for the more expensive version, unlike shoes it's not as if the 360 is a necessity. Can't afford it at all? Well unlucky for them, but they wouldn't be able to afford anything if it wasn't for the two versions. The cheaper version is mainly for those that don't care about the extra stuff. The only thing that's necessary that you get with the deluxe pack is the ability to save - and it would still work out cheaper if you bought the cheap pack + memory card.

So what exactly are you suggesting? That they don't give a choice and force everyone to buy the deluxe pack, even if they don't want half the crap that comes with it?

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Eh-heh, that's kinda where my argument falls down. :D

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Engar said:
Consider the story of the two men and their boots.. (My apologies to Terry Pratchett for borrowing this one.)

Two men, approaching middle-age, are each in need of a new pair of boots.

The first man is rich. He goes to a good shoe shop and purchases an expensive pair of leather boots. Satisfied with his purchase he goes on to wear them every day. And, as they are an exceptionally good pair, he does not need to replace them for many years.

The second man is poor. He goes to a bad shoe shop and purchases a less than adequate - but affordable - pair of boots. These boots are poorly made but since he has no others he is forced to wear them just like the first man. Within half a year they have worn away around his feet and he must, once again, purchase a pair of poor but affordable boots. And so it goes on for many years.

By the end of these years the rich man has bought one pair of boots. The poor man has bought dozens and, cheap though they were, the combined amount far exceeds what the rich man has ever and would ever dream of paying.

A cunning business tactic, I quite agree.
Once again I feel the need to point out that your argument is baselessly illogical. A "deluxe" XB360 is exactly the same as a normal one, it just has extra components that you don't NEED, except for the hard drive--which you can choose to use, or a memory card.

People buying a normal XB360 are not forced to magically "re-buy" anything like the 'poor man' in your story, making your story irrelevant.

You said "half of the extras are necessary."

Extras: Hard Drive --You have to buy this or a Memory Card to save.
Extras: Wireless Controller --UNNECESSARY
Extras: Headset --UNNECESSARY
Extras: Component HD Cable --UNNECESSARY
Extras: X-Box Live Silver Membership --UNNECESSARY
Extras: Media Remote --UNNECESSARY

I'm sorry, but how exactly is one out of six "Half"?

The Deluxe version is the gimmick--not the base one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom